Ignition ? for All

drkhrse

Established Member
I have a '93 Cobra with a Motorsport (powerdyne) 6psi SC on it. when i bought the car i found the ignition timing set at 0 degs (initial advance) I set the advance to 10 deg initial. at high RPM's i'm getting some detination and need to get a boost controler for the ignition.

My question is:
what is the best after market ignition for the 5.0L with A Super Charger? I'm going to upgrade it to 9psi after i get it to hook up on 6 :p.

I'm leaning toward the MSD 6ABTM, what about the Jacobs set up or Holleys?

thanks

93BlkCobra

Established Member
Cool, well we have about the same setup man!
Im running a 6AL with a Vortech(MSD) Boost retard.
works great. I would get the 6ABTM, you should be set.

I would say with the boost retard 12-13 degrees( if the fuel
is there for it) at the Dis.( depending how you have your timming
lite set) you know what I mean. Been to the dyno yet?
Take care.

93cobra#3326

i love boost!
Established Member
im gonna try the crane hi6-trc(ive been saying this for long time, i need to just go buy the dam thing) its a digitial ignition with a boost retard. msd doesnt make a digitial box with a boost retard, you would need 2 boxes :bored: and since i want digitial...
besides ive heard alot of horror storys about the msd btm's suddonly failing (not retarding timing) my vortech/msd btm has always only pulled up 8* instead of the advertised 15* and ive already had the retard knob replaced(had a dead spot)
also i will note that my 92 gt's had a 6a box for 6 years-no problems so i dunno
later
bryan
ps. 93blkcobra-yea im on to you mister. or should i say t-trim93 :eek: (aka chris) am i right?:??: i hope so at least :beer:

LEE93COBRA

broke
Established Member
While shopping for ignition you need to back your timing down to at least 5-6 degrees advanced.

10 degree base is way to much timing on a blower car. If you have at set to 10 degrees that means at WOT your total timing is around 26-27 degrees. Need to get it (total timing) back down in the 23 degree range.

Users who are viewing this thread