If you've got a pet, give them extra love tonight

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Very sorry to hear this. Like others have said, it's the absolute worst feeling because they are just such pure souls who want nothing but to make you happy. Our family German Shepherd was playing like a maniac one day and then wouldn't get up or eat the next. Turned out to be bone cancer and we had to let him go.

On October 4 of this year, I had to send my best buddy and the greatest dog I've ever had over the Rainbow Bridge. It was after finding a tumor in his neck, then having complications with internal bleeding, and two blood transfusions, the second which was performed by an incompetent vet. Watching them suffer is the worst thing ever so just make sure she isn't in any pain. Dogs are pretty resilient so please don't "pull the plug" if she's still in good spirits and eating/drinking.

Zemedici

Established Member
I agree on the behavior being abnormal. 14 is not 'young' but if she's not super overweight / unhealthy, she can still kick imo.

Wouldnt entirely 'trust' the first medical opinion you get, also, being human or veterinarian, they **** up too.

Like MG said, no puking or anything? When they're ready to go, you 10000% can tell. Right when I started at my current gig, my boss's dog did similar. She went from running around beating up on the puppy, to not getting up within a week or so, couldnt control her body functions, I had to tell my boss his dog is dying. Not a fun way to start

I've lost a few, and imo its quite honestly one of the worst things a person can go through, as nothing 'makes it better'. They're literally our children.

Adower

Established Member
Very sorry to hear this. Like others have said, it's the absolute worst feeling because they are just such pure souls who want nothing but to make you happy. Our family German Shepherd was playing like a maniac one day and then wouldn't get up or eat the next. Turned out to be bone cancer and we had to let him go.

On October 4 of this year, I had to send my best buddy and the greatest dog I've ever had over the Rainbow Bridge. It was after finding a tumor in his neck, then having complications with internal bleeding, and two blood transfusions, the second which was performed by an incompetent vet. Watching them suffer is the worst thing ever so just make sure she isn't in any pain. Dogs are pretty resilient so please don't "pull the plug" if she's still in good spirits and eating/drinking.
She seems to be in good spirits. She will wag her tail and is eating and drinking when we bring food to her. I will spoon feed this dog until it is her time to go and she stop fighting.

Adower

Established Member
I agree on the behavior being abnormal. 14 is not 'young' but if she's not super overweight / unhealthy, she can still kick imo.

Wouldnt entirely 'trust' the first medical opinion you get, also, being human or veterinarian, they **** up too.

Like MG said, no puking or anything? When they're ready to go, you 10000% can tell. Right when I started at my current gig, my boss's dog did similar. She went from running around beating up on the puppy, to not getting up within a week or so, couldnt control her body functions, I had to tell my boss his dog is dying. Not a fun way to start

I've lost a few, and imo its quite honestly one of the worst things a person can go through, as nothing 'makes it better'. They're literally our children.
No puking or anything. She still gets up to use the bathroom but will want to lay down after.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Sorry to hear. All they really want to do is love you unconditionally. That’s why saying goodbye is the worst ever for me. We had to say goodbye to one of our dogs last October. Poor girl was only 14 too, and suffering with heart issues. That left us with one dog. We said maybe we should take a break from a dogs after we lose her. Well that didn’t last long. This last May we rescued/adopted 2 more 8 year olds. Haha.

Did they check your dog for bloat? It can happen suddenly and be fatal if not treated quickly. Drooling excessively is one of the symptoms.

Zemedici

Established Member
No puking or anything. She still gets up to use the bathroom but will want to lay down after.

drooling leads me to believe she may have eaten something.

Does she get excited about anything? Like tail wag / etc? When they're ready to punch out, they dont do any of that stuff, from what I've seen. You see the light leave them, essentially

Zemedici

Established Member
Sorry to hear. All they really want to do is love you unconditionally. That’s why saying goodbye is the worst ever for me. We had to say goodbye to one of our dogs last October. Poor girl was only 14 too, and suffering with heart issues. That left us with one dog. We said maybe we should take a break from a dogs after we lose her. Well that didn’t last long. This last May we rescued/adopted 2 more 8 year olds. Haha.

Did they check your dog for bloat? It can happen suddenly and be fatal if not treated quickly. Drooling excessively is one of the symptoms.

And that's why its so ****ing hard to let them go, because they're so good to us. Come in drunk / high / mad / upset / had a bad day / whatever, dog doesnt mind at all, just wants to love you and be there for you.

Adower

Established Member
drooling leads me to believe she may have eaten something.

Does she get excited about anything? Like tail wag / etc? When they're ready to punch out, they dont do any of that stuff, from what I've seen. You see the light leave them, essentially
Her tail will wag here and there. Usually its when we are about to feed her. She definitely didnt eat anything off the ground that day. On the walk she was in front of me the whole time on leash.

Adower

Established Member

Yes. They said that since she isnt trying to vomit at all its most likely not the issue.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
Man, this sucks. So sorry to hear this.
Been down this road many times. Good luck.

Zemedici

Established Member
Her tail will wag here and there. Usually its when we are about to feed her. She definitely didnt eat anything off the ground that day. On the walk she was in front of me the whole time on leash.

man so strange, and nothing @ the vet?

Weird......

what kinda dog?

Adower

Established Member
man so strange, and nothing @ the vet?

Weird......

what kinda dog?
Yep, nothing that the vet could find. They wanted to do a MRI or another procedure that I cant remember. However, they said they werent even sure that it would show anything since the ultra sound, x rays, blood work and other test they ran didnt.

The vet did say that her heart beat sounded a little faint but thats normal for a dog that's 14.

She is a mut that we adopted from a local animal shelter.

MassCobra

All set
Established Member
Did the vet check her joints? My oldest pup, 12, back in September very suddenly had trouble walking, no energy, barely eating and was very sick. Long story short and $9k later she was diagnosed with Immune Mediated Polyarthropothy, (IMPA).
She also needed her spleen removed but they said that was unrelated. She's been on prednisone for this joint disease and has been pretty much back to normal from the day she started this med. We're slowly weening her off now and monitoring how she does.

I know its a long shot but I just want to throw it out there.

CLN 6R

Established Member
Very sorry to hear.

We lost our first pup when he was only 2 years old from a neurological disorder that was genetic. Was very sad watching him go downhill so quickly.

C2tuck

Established Member
Sorry to hear. Hope she pulls through.

Lost my best dog a few years ago to what a neurologist I was working with said was bacterial meningitis.

Literally pet him on the head as I left for work and 30 min later the wife calls me telling me he’s had a seizure. Cooled him off and brought him inside and then calls me back a few minutes later telling me he’s having another one that’s lasted for a couple minutes…

I immediately left work and told her to take him to the vet. He passed at the vet before I made it half way home. Temp was 110.

Hardest part was he was fine, wagging his tail and smiling at me a couple hours earlier.

Adower

Established Member
Great news!! My pup is looking a lot better. She was looking really bad and her third eyelid started to cover one of her eyes. Yesterday when she woke up I noticed her third eyelid went back down and she was up and walking around!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Zemedici

Established Member
Great news!! My pup is looking a lot better. She was looking really bad and her third eyelid started to cover one of her eyes. Yesterday when she woke up I noticed her third eyelid went back down and she was up and walking around!

YESSSSSS

early christmas gift.

Give her some treats / pets for us.

Good ****ing news.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Great to hear!

Users who are viewing this thread