If You Have Skin In The Market

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I'm down around 36k but was 60% in cash prior to this. I trade for a living. I was more focused on expecting the market to drop once it looked like Bernie would become the frontrunner (seemed obvious to me in December) I thought Coronavirus was BS that would blow over like Sars, Bird Flu, Ebola scares, the terrible 17/18 flu etc. Wrong.

I'm won't buy anything until there are outbreaks in the U.S. or the DOW hits 22k

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Down a little over 79K.
Comment made on Fox Business yesterday that it will take 3 to 4 months for the market to come back after this correction. If Trump doesn't get reelected, this type of market action will become the norm.
Think about a person getting ready to retire THIS year !!
...........( I retired in 2008, just after the $h__t hit the fan )

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Down a little over 79K.
Comment made on Fox Business yesterday that it will take 3 to 4 months for the market to come back after this correction. If Trump doesn't get reelected, this type of market action will become the norm.
Think about a person getting ready to retire THIS year !!
...........( I retired in 2008, just after the $h__t hit the fan )

If Bernie gets in, don't know how you could own healthcare, defense or energy stocks.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
My dad retired in the fall of 2008...he & Mom lived on bread & water until the market recovered later in '09....
I have money in the market, but don't depend on it for living day to day. I've only taken a distribution the last 2 years..

cidsamuth

Liberty Biberty
Established Member
You’re not losing money unless you’re selling. I’m down $75k.

I've lost similarly this week. In past years, when the market went crazy, I bailed out and always regretted it. I'm trying to not let emotion rule me here.

I work with people who are glad they bailed after a day or two of this madness this week. But, they essentially locked in the losses by doing that.

EDIT: Even if you are getting ready to retire, a sudden downturn only hurts if you were going to withdraw everything now. If you are letting it ride, or only taking small distributions, then it doesn't matter whether this happens 1 month or 10 years before retirement.

The old philosophy about being conservatively invested as you come up to retirement age is bogus . . . unless you plan on pulling it all out.

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
This was a bull market that was ripe for a correction. It just needed an excuse to start pulling profits. It will soon bottom out, then it will be balls to wall again. When this virus is over and the Trumpster gets four more years, get in early.

q6543

Established Member
I put 25% of cash to work this am also cranked up my 401k.
Thankfully it's early in the year so i can max out faster at a discount!

MG0h3

Established Member
I’m not convinced this drop is over.

With so many working against the current admin they will fan the flames to no end. I’d bet anything there are some that want an American to die from corona just to beat Trump down.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I'm up so much it's not bothering me yet, down 100k. My guess is it will bottom soon then big volatility till spring. Then things should start recovering. If you're dollar cost averaging start putting more in now.

New GT500 on hold.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Stop&turnFreak

Established Member
I spoke to my investment group today and set targets on some stocks I have been wanting to pickup. I am going to be buying as the market falls, hopefully ending up with some good purchases, provided we picked good pickup points. For me, I am only down ~100k, but my daughter's accounts took a beating. We have most of hers in aggressive funds (as she is young), and she got hit hard. Her losses make mine look small. (My father set her up for college / life ... provided the market comes back lol).

Users who are viewing this thread