If this ISN'T, a hate crime, what is?

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
This may eventually get moved to smack down, but that type of discussion/recognition is not what I am looking for.

Right now this is not being treated as a hate crime, but give me a break....

FBI may step in to help BRPD with gas station investigation - WAFB 9 News Baton Rouge, Louisiana News, Weather, Sports

Two of the "suspects" (lol) were given a summons (read ticket) and released on site.

Now, I know this part of town and it is in basically the hole of the butt crack part of town.

I work less than five miles from where that happened usually twice a week and I can tell you as a white male of 37, anyone that attempts to contest the idea that this is not a hate crime is not only simply looking for a grade school level argument, but they probably haven't been on the shit end of an ordeal like this.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Ignorance knows no bounds.

I will never understand senseless violence like this. Dude just wanted some gas to get his family home.

In before racist remarks, if he had a gun, etc...

The FBI could step in to help Baton Rouge Police with an alleged fight at a gas station with three black suspects and a white family.

It's a story that's grabbed national attention with cries for justice on social networks.

The face of the 41-year-old victim from Sunday night's argument shows a broken nose, a broken eye socket and cuts to the face. It happened at the Chevron Gas Station on Scenic Highway off Plank Road.

The family does not want their names or identity released just yet, but he did tell WAFB's Kiran Chawla on the phone what happened Sunday around 9:30 p.m. The family of four was heading home, they needed gas so they stopped.

The man said me the credit card reader did not work at the pump, so he went up to the window to pay. That's when he said three black suspects, two men and a woman came up to him.

He claimed Donald Dickerson, 41, cut in front of him in line and said "You're in the wrong neighborhood."

The victim responded, "All I'm trying to do is get some gas." He said that's when Dickerson told him "he was not going to make it out."

The victim said "I just dismissed it. Truly this guy is joking. I just turned my head and he motioned like he was walking off, but he was leaning to the side to take a punch at me. I got hit two or three times on the way down. My wife, 41, was punched in the back of the head and knocked out cold and fell to the cement ground. (She) has staples in the back of her head."

As for his teenaged daughter, he said "she was punched in the face and stomach" and another young daughter was in the car watching everything and called 911.

He said Devin Bessye and Ashley Simmons punched his wife and Simmons hit his daughter. Both Bessye and Simmons were given misdemeanor summons for simple battery and released on sight. Dickerson was charged with second degree battery and booked.

"The charges that took place the other night were preliminary and based on the initial information that was available to the investigators on the scene and to some extent at the hospital. We are now doing a follow-up investigation to re-interview the victims," said BRPD's Lt. Kelly.

In response, the victim told Chawla, "It is incorrect. Mistakes happen, and it needs to be reversed."

Under former Police Chief Dewayne White, officers were ordered to book all misdemeanor offenders. When interim Police Chief Carl Dabadie took over, that policy was relaxed. Now, changes have been made.

"Chief Dabadie wanted to give the officers more discretion to make decisions in the field with respect to misdemeanor cases and whether someone should be booked or issued a summons, and it was never his intention however that crimes of violence, misdemeanors of violence be summoned. It was his intention that those individuals should be booked and it is still his intention that they should be booked. What caused that to happen with this incident where people were released on summons is still part of an ongoing investigation but moving forward, crimes of violence will be booked," said Lt. Kelly.

Now BRPD is looking into help from the FBI because their investigation so far shows the incident does not meet the hate crime statute, but federal laws for the hate crime could be different.

As for surveillance video, the store's owner tells 9News the camera that would have picked up everything was broken.

In the meantime, police are asking for the public to bear with them.

"All we would ask is people be patient and that people don't rush to judgement. We have to deal with facts, not emotions with these sort of investigations," said Lt. Kelly.

Last edited by a moderator:

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
Needs more situational awareness. More Glock love.

Where's the like button?

Not sure bout y'all but once you lay hands on the kids....gentlemen rules are out the door. Lead or shanks start flyin at that point!

Last edited:

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Needs more situational awareness. More Glock love.

Unfortunately that's kind of the depressing part. If I saw a bunch of f-ing clowns harassing a black family in my part of town I would, WITHOUT A DOUBT, step in and do something about it.

It really pisses me off that things are the way they are in this city and this part of the country, but I just wonder what it will take to change it.

This. OP knows exactly what he's doing.

I hope all the offenders in this case get punished to the fullest extent of the law:nonono:

Really chief? What's that?

Take some of your own medicine and realize that if you aren't part of the solution then you might be part of the problem.

Last edited:

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Zylkon-B better answers through chemistry.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Put the animals down.

People do not respect the law because it is a joke now a days. You get more time for downloading a movie you did not pay for off the Interwebz than you do rape or murder. Kill them, start making examples of animals. Murders, rapists, pedos, attackers such as these are all wild, rabid animals who should be exterminated.

Rehabilitation does not work when the punishments are as laughable as they are anymore.

dooberGN

Established Member
It's not a hate crime because you expect to be treated this way if you are white in those areas of various cities. There's a reason he went up to the window (bullet proof glass) to pay.

People say well why did they stop in that rough area, it doesn't work that way when the roles are reversed.

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
Not hate crime, just crime. The motive for the crime is not relavant.

Not sure a firearm would have helped. What is the criteria for the use of deadly force in that state.

Dragu1a

Established Member
Not hate crime, just crime. The motive for the crime is not relavant.

you think they would've attacked a black family?

anyways, it's not a hate crime if the victim is white. that's law 101. technically it's classified as a justified revenge for years of oppression.

ssssnake

Established Member
I read about this yesterday and thought the same thing. If a white man had said that to a black man who had been in his neighborhood and beat him and his family, all hell would have broke loose.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Unfortunately we will never eradicate senseless violence as long as there are noticeable differences between humans. One can only practice situational awareness in an attempt to prevent encounters like this from happening.

Mr.Bolt-on

Jimmy Rustler
Established Member
He claimed Donald Dickerson, 41, cut in front of him in line and said "You're in the wrong neighborhood."

This was a hate crime, and black people will deny it up and down. If you've been to any of these shit holes you would know how racist black people truly are there.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member

This was a hate crime, and black people will deny it up and down. If you've been to any of these shit holes you would know how racist black people truly are there.

It'd only be racist if some hillbillies told a black something along the lines of "You in the wrong parts boy." This isn't racism, the black was just giving the honky fair warning before something bad happened. If anything, he should be commended for trying to warn the poor fella.

cinch1985

Established Member
to those who say this wasnt a hate crime. next time you see a black person in your suburban neighbor hood gas station be sure to tell him he is in the wrong side of time and then you and your boys commence to beating him and his family. see what happens then.

Synyster06Gates

SVT Poster
Established Member
Bullshit! Blacks CAN'T be racist! No such thing as a hate crime from black people! Whites are the devil and hate everyone!

:rollseyes

I hate political correctness. Thank god for CHLs

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
So based on the article, the cops decided to charge one guy with misdemeanor battery and the other two with such small charges that they were let free. They were just going on 'the facts they had at the scene'?

So imagine you are a cop and you show up to the crime scene (forget race for a second):

-one middle aged male with severe facial trauma, including bruising and broken bones
-one middle aged female with facial trauma, unconscious and bleeding from the head
-one juvenile female with facial trauma
-two middle aged males and one female with no injuries (maybe bruising/blood on hands?)
-one juvenile female witness who told you that the latter three beat the shit out of the former three

Seems to me there would be three people getting thrown in jail, no questions asked.

Now throw a little race card in there and "we couldn't accurately say what happened, so we charged them as we saw fit". I guess the witness wasn't credible enough...

Disgraceful.

Users who are viewing this thread