If i go Twin Turbo, what clutch should i get?

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
Just as the title said. If i decied to go with the HP performance twin turbo kit (somewhere inbetween 500-800hp) what clutch should i get, cause i need a clutch as is now (just hit 35,000 miles and the petel is geting harder to push everyday and i know its going out.

who makes a great clutch that will last a while(semi harsh driving) and also who makes a great flywheel, should i go with a lighter flywheel or should i get a steel?

any help would be fantastic. thanks

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
drag race-- go with a billet steel f/w to carry more inertia on launch, less chance of bogging the engine. Probably wont matter with TT under the hood.

road race-- aluminum f/w take off as much driveline weight as possible. The engine will rev much faster than before. Might be a good thing with TT to get you into the higher rpms/more boost very quickly.

I have a fidanza aluminum f/w It weighs 12lbs and the stock flywheel weighs 26lbs, it made a huge difference especially considering it's rotational mass. Removal of rotational mass has a much greater effect than removing dead weight.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
drag race-- go with a billet steel f/w to carry more inertia on launch, less chance of bogging the engine. Probably wont matter with TT under the hood.

road race-- aluminum f/w take off as much driveline weight as possible. The engine will rev much faster than before. Might be a good thing with TT to get you into the higher rpms/more boost very quickly.

I have a fidanza aluminum f/w It weighs 12lbs and the stock flywheel weighs 26lbs, it made a huge difference especially considering it's rotational mass. Removal of rotational mass has a much greater effect than removing dead weight.

Ya know I agree, I've always wondered how much hp difference you could see on dyno just by swapping to an aluminum f/w & d/s? Do you have any #s on that???

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
No numbers, sorry. I don't know if it would show on a dyno or not? I've never dyno'd any of my vehicles and haven't been around them enough to know.

The Fidanza alum f/w paired with the March SFI crank pulley is a great combo.

REX-RACER

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
No numbers, sorry. I don't know if it would show on a dyno or not? I've never dyno'd any of my vehicles and haven't been around them enough to know.

The Fidanza alum f/w paired with the March SFI crank pulley is a great combo.

Yeah, not that I'm into "dyno racing" either but what you said about rotating mass/enertia being a factor is true becuase rotation mass increases in inertial resistence that faster you spin something. I've seen where larger wheel/tire combinationa have shown a decrease on a dyno so I'm sure the opposite has to be true. You and I have both been saying for a while the combination of u/d pulleys + aluminum f/w + aluminum d/s should be a potent combination, I'd just like to see it borne out on a dyno. :beer:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
The #26 car will have the same setup as my car, I like it that much.

I'll have dyno numbers sometime but no baseline to go off of and this isn't gonna be a stock DOHC either. We've got some tough competition in ITE.

REX-RACER

Established Member
99COBRA2881 said:
The #26 car will have the same setup as my car, I like it that much.

I'll have dyno numbers sometime but no baseline to go off of and this isn't gonna be a stock DOHC either. We've got some tough competition in ITE.

Good luck! :beer:

Btw, are you going to make the BMW open track event at Road America in July? I think I might finally make it up there and I can't wait!!! :pepper:

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
the build up should be starting soon, and i will post detailed info on the whole thing. yes the engine is going forged. just peicing toghter the final parts to support it.

Stopsign32v

Established Member
Do not get an aluminum flywheel with this turbo system. A turbo isn't like a centri blower, you do not need to get into revs to make power. Turbos like load, an aluminum flywheel takes load off the drivetrain so you will have lag from the turbos worse, and with them being so far away from the heads you will already have some lag. Also it will make it harder to launch.

Users who are viewing this thread