Idling lean

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
I disconnected my battery for about a month now on my 99 gt cause of corona and cause I'm not going anywhere. But I tried starting it yesterday and it idled very lean like above what my aem gauge could read whis was about a 17,but if I held it at 2k rpm is would go back to normal levels. Should I be worried that it possibly erased my custom tune or does it just need to re learn?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would give it time to re-learn, and then re-check it. Not uncommon after disconnecting your battery for that long.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I believe they say at least 5-10 minutes to re-learn idle, so fire it up and let it idle without touching anything. Assuming it settles into its normal idle then turn the ac on max and let it sit another 5-10.

the computer will not "lose" your tune.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I believe your 5-10 minutes to re-learn is spot on. I remember having to do that with my old 2016 Edge Sport with Livernois tune after disconnecting the battery. I didn't know about the recommended AC on max for another 5-10 minutes. Good info, Jerry!

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
I believe your 5-10 minutes to re-learn is spot on. I remember having to do that with my old 2016 Edge Sport with Livernois tune after disconnecting the battery. I didn't know about the recommended AC on max for another 5-10 minutes. Good info, Jerry!
I believe they say at least 5-10 minutes to re-learn idle, so fire it up and let it idle without touching anything. Assuming it settles into its normal idle then turn the ac on max and let it sit another 5-10.

the computer will not "lose" your tune.
I would give it time to re-learn, and then re-check it. Not uncommon after disconnecting your battery for that long.
thank you all for the advise, I was probably more paranoid than I should have been haha, I'll let it re learn today

Slow 99

Nothing to see here
Established Member
ok so update, I ran my car for about 15 minutes just idling and the a/f ration gauge still couldn't even read how lean it was. I wound up just saying screw it and took it for a mild drive and all the numbers were normal. I started doing some wot pulls and a/f was beautiful, but when I got home from doing that I pulled in the driveway and it almost couldn't stay running from how lean it was running. Any thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread