Idle stuck around 2k. Any ideas??

Miked232

Established Member
I bought this car with a ton of codes. Finally cleared them all, but now the car is idling at like 1800-2000rpm. No CEL, I’ve replaced the IAC three times. The factory IAC was shot, pep boys was making a hiss, and the Duralast seems okay... I cannot find any vacuum leaks, I cleaned the throttle body. IAC is showing 12v and TB showing 5v. And I already cleaned the MAF. I did notice if I unplug the IAC, I get absolutely no change in idle. Anyone have any ideas on what to look for next?

Sn951997SVT

Established Member
Sounds like my 97 cobra,it would do that off and on. Then it quit doing it and I haven’t had an issue since.

To note,i’ve Been through just as many IAC’s myself.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
my I know 3 people with 3 different make/models and they all ran terrible on the duralast IAC, take that for whatever its worth. They all went back to OEM and it was fine

Miked232

Established Member
No AC In the car, prior owner did a delete. And I just replaced the TPS sensor, the idle leveled out at 1100rpm for maybeeee 30 seconds and then crept back to 1800rpm.

I’m not using the plate. But I did the gasket mod where you restrict the IAC to a 3/16th opening.

Also I haven’t vacuumed test. But I don’t hear anything and I tried probing around with propane and noticed no change to the idle

Oh ...and ford discontinued the IAC...

jmsa540

Established Member
No AC In the car, prior owner did a delete. And I just replaced the TPS sensor, the idle leveled out at 1100rpm for maybeeee 30 seconds and then crept back to 1800rpm.

I’m not using the plate. But I did the gasket mod where you restrict the IAC to a 3/16th opening.

Also I haven’t vacuumed test. But I don’t hear anything and I tried probing around with propane and noticed no change to the idle

Oh ...and ford discontinued the IAC...
Rockauto.com

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jmsa540

Established Member

850SNCobra

Established Member
Mine does it occasionally, seems to have it's days. I was thinking I needed to do a seafoam treatment since mine sat a lot prior to me getting it. Let us know if that idle screw fixes it!

Martin6107

Established Member

1800 RPM is where mine goes on a cold start. Have you checked both temps sensors in the crossover pipe? One runs the dash gauge and the other is an input to the CPU.

Do you still have IMRCs installed? One of the most common vacuum leak points on these cars is o-rings on each end of the IMRC butterfly connecting rods.

Miked232

Established Member
1800 RPM is where mine goes on a cold start. Have you checked both temps sensors in the crossover pipe? One runs the dash gauge and the other is an input to the CPU.

Do you still have IMRCs installed? One of the most common vacuum leak points on these cars is o-rings on each end of the IMRC butterfly connecting rods.

IMRC’s were left alone. The gaskets looked like they were in good shape. I’m borrowing a smoke machine from my friend on Thursday

Also gonna check the idle screw and temp sensors once I get home from work

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Martin6107

Established Member
Best of luck. These kinds of issues can be a real pain to pin down, but perseverance usually wins out. Kudos for making the effort to bring a Cobra back to life.

Miked232

Established Member
Well new update. Codes p1504 and 1506 showed up. I figured 1504 was because I was messing with the IAC, I cleared the codes and within 10 miles, 1506 reappeared. My idle is now sitting at steady 1800-2000rpm. I didn’t get to check temp sensors due to the rain, but idler screw seems okay.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Miked232

Established Member

Users who are viewing this thread