Idle Issue After Whipple Install

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
Good day guys. I just installed a Whipple 2.3, Accufab TB, 60lb Injectors, KB BAP, Mafia on my 2004 Cobra. I also installed some NGK TR6IX. My tuner sent me a run tune until I can get the car to him next week. The thing is, I don't want to drive 2 hours only to have something wrong with the car and can't get it tuned. The car has an extremely rough idle when 1st cranking it up. It almost cuts off. After several minutes, the idles gets a little better but not normal. The car seems to drive ok. I have checked all the vacuum lines and fittings. Any ideas? I do have the SCT software to datalog with. What would I be looking for? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Let your tuner know that the car is running too rough to drive. Log your idle, and maybe a steady cruise on the highway. Send the log to him and ask for a revision.

Also I understand about not wanting to drive to to the tuner just to have something wrong. If all you did was a Whipple swap you should be ok and doubt you will have anything major come up as long as the car ran well before the swap.

What I did was buy the pro racer software and pretty much tuned the car myself. That way by the time I got to the dyno I knew the car was good to go and just needed a final dial in. That way I was able to avoid taking my car somewhere just to say you have "this problem". If you go that rout ask your tuner if he will give you the mtf file when he is done so you can make changes / adjustments yourself if you notice something while driving.

Edit: your tuner can send you his config file so you have the right parameters to log.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
Another reason the tvs is king. 30 mins and you could have the stock injectors/maf/tune reinstalled and testing it.

My first thought is the mafia or a setting for the mafia. Your combo is so basic it should start and run on a base tune unless something is wrong.

RRRR03Cobra

Anti-venom is Useless!
Established Member
I found out the problem. Thanks for the input! Yes, I agree, the TVS is an awesome blower. Unfortunately they stopped making the 2.3 for Cobras:( The large hose coming over from the PCV that attaches to the back of the supercharger had a small hairline split in it! I replaced the hose and now it runs great!

Users who are viewing this thread