Identifying Intercooler - Question

RioRed4v

Established Member
Probably a dumb question, but since I'm still learning about this platform I have a quick question. I'm trying to identify the intercooler on my 09. Is there any way to try and do this with the blower still on the car?

Thanks!

RioRed4v

Established Member
You will need to remove the blower to see the intercooler.
Do you feel it has something other than stock?

Damn. Figured that was the case, but was hoping there might be something I was missing.

I'm 50/50 if it has something other than stock. Previous owner wasn't the most clear on all the details so I'm just trying to figure out the pieces that I still know nothing about (plus I'm wanting to upgrade the HE). It's a fully built car, KB 3.6, over 1k whp, has an ice tank but then also has the stock heat exchanger, no front pump (only a Rule in the tank) and then who knows about the IC. Just feels like some parts were well addressed while others he hadn't gotten to yet.

PM-Performance

Established Member
I'd say if its not having an issue keeping temps realistic, I wouldn't give it much thought.
The reason for the stock HE is because of the ice tank out back. I could be wrong, but I see no need to have a bigger HE when you have an ice tank. I think the gains will be minimal, but i could be wrong

If I were to guess, with it being a KB car, it probably has a Bigun. Esp at that power level. I'd also venture to guess if it was a 1kwhp car, everything that needed to be addressed probably were. You just may not know the reason for the things done.

RioRed4v

Established Member
I'd say if its not having an issue keeping temps realistic, I wouldn't give it much thought.
The reason for the stock HE is because of the ice tank out back. I could be wrong, but I see no need to have a bigger HE when you have an ice tank. I think the gains will be minimal, but i could be wrong

If I were to guess, with it being a KB car, it probably has a Bigun. Esp at that power level. I'd also venture to guess if it was a 1kwhp car, everything that needed to be addressed probably were. You just may not know the reason for the things done.

As far as I know and have seen the temps haven't been bad, but with getting in to summer and potentially moving to a hotter climate I'm just want to prep a bit. I do finally have a gauge to monitor the temps so it'll be interesting to see how they look over summer. I was thinking he might have a Bigun in it too, but going off the receipts he had there is no way to tell. There's just been a few questionable things done which makes me OCD kick in and want to really dig in to all of it lol.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Trust me, I know the pain you are going through. I think KB's tend to still soak pretty bad. Keep that in mind when watching temps.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I can't see not using the heat exhanger if the car is primarily a street car. Eventually the coolant will just continue to get hotter and hotter if there's no cool down if you're just circulating coolant through a closed system with no provision for heat dissipation. Unless you spend time on track and don't drive the car on the street, you're probably fine if you fill the tank with ice to go racing. Otherwise, if you spend most of your time on the street, I'd bypass the ice tank and plumb it to use the heat exchanger. You'd need another pump up front if the stock one is mission.

I think you might be able to count the number of rows in the intercooler to figure out if it's stock or not (07-12 or 13-14), but you'll need to pull off the head unit.

PM-Performance

Established Member
@Catmonkey, I thought when people add ice tanks, they just run the HE inline with the tanks to replace the tank under the hood?
So you still feel there is a positive benefit to upgrading the HE still even with an Ice tank? I guess it makes sense for street driving, i just figured there was little benefit to having a larger one with all the extra volume and flow.

RioRed4v

Established Member
@Catmonkey, I thought when people add ice tanks, they just run the HE inline with the tanks to replace the tank under the hood?
So you still feel there is a positive benefit to upgrading the HE still even with an Ice tank? I guess it makes sense for street driving, i just figured there was little benefit to having a larger one with all the extra volume and flow.

The feedback I've been given was keeping the ice tank is fine for normal street driving, but I probably want to upgrade the HE to something like a VMP. Fans seems debatable but I've been told I should be okay with no fans due to the extra volume. I've received mixed responses about using the front pump (I bought a Davies Craig 9105 since mine has none currently) and just using a larger rear EMP to replace the Rule.

I can't see not using the heat exhanger if the car is primarily a street car. Eventually the coolant will just continue to get hotter and hotter if there's no cool down if you're just circulating coolant through a closed system with no provision for heat dissipation. Unless you spend time on track and don't drive the car on the street, you're probably fine if you fill the tank with ice to go racing. Otherwise, if you spend most of your time on the street, I'd bypass the ice tank and plumb it to use the heat exchanger. You'd need another pump up front if the stock one is mission.

I think you might be able to count the number of rows in the intercooler to figure out if it's stock or not (07-12 or 13-14), but you'll need to pull off the head unit.

I definitely still want to use the heat exchanger. Car is primarily street driven and will rarely ever see the track. I guess that's where my mixed feedback starts to come in since I've been told to bypass the ice tank, but also to just go ahead and keep it in place and upgrade the HE. There is no front pump, which I was told I should install, but now I'm hearing mixed feedback on that too and to just upgrade to a EMP, ditch the Rule and leave the front one off.

RioRed4v

Established Member
Well looks like I'll need to do something soon. Took the car out to bed the pads and figured I'd take a look at IAT2's since I just installed an Aeroforce. Ambient was 65, IAT was about 80 and IAT2's were about 110. Wasn't even beating on the car since i was just bedding the pads.

PM-Performance

Established Member
That’s a pretty common delta for a stock IC and decent cooling setup.
If you wanna sell that ice tank I may be your huckleberry.
If you ain’t racing it’s moot for you.

RioRed4v

Established Member
That’s a pretty common delta for a stock IC and decent cooling setup.
If you wanna sell that ice tank I may be your huckleberry.
If you ain’t racing it’s moot for you.

I agree that I don't race it nearly enough to justify the ice tank. I've honestly contemplated selling it but I'm torn on it. I'll have to give it some thought.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
An ice tank is only a benefit when you have ice in it, otherwise it's just a big storage tank. Depending on capacity, it could take a while to heat up, but since OP has the heat exchanger somewhere in line in his intercooler system, at least that coolant has been sent through the HE core. Point being whether the HE was by-passed or not.

When you're running ice, you don't need a heat exchanger. Some guys have valves to use one system or the other. There's probably some benefit to bypassing it when you run ice, as the pump has to move less coolant which could add more pressure to the intercooler system and slow down fluid flow. I'm not sure a bigger HE would be much benefit if using both, but unless you measure the temperature exiting the core and the impact on flow, there's no way to quantify it. A lot will depend on how big the lines are and how effective the pump is in moving those large volumes.

Most pump data I've seen don't show the Rule pumps to be very effective against pressure (restrictions). Sure they have high free flow rates, but add load and the flow rates drop off fast. The EMP looks like the best pump you can use, but then again the lines have to have sufficient diameter to be of any real benefit. The EMP has 1" inlet and outlet sizes, so I would hope the hoses and connectors used in his system are at least that. An EMP in the tank may have a harder time moving coolant through both intercooler systems. If he's still using 3/4 piping between the intercooler and the HE, his flow rates will be affected. The stock intercooler necks the manifold portion of the system down to 1/2", so it's never going to have real high flow rates. Iced coolant can overcome some deficiencies at these lower flow rates.

Stuffing ice in the tank just isn't practical in most street driving scenarios, but I can see benefit in the ability to ice down the system for track type events.

PM-Performance

Established Member
Very good info. thank you.
I agree on the ice tank and same reason I have held off. If I find a steal on one, Ill add one but otherwise I do not feel a benefit for street use

Users who are viewing this thread