Identifying Billet Oil Pump Gears

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
So im getting the cobra back up and running after 5 years. Engine has been rebuilt with new pistons and is all buttoned back up sitting on the stand. The shop used a new ford oil pump but i dont wanna trust it with the power i will have. Now the motor was previously built and according to the receipts the prior owner was charged $200+ to "set oil gears". Im assuming they put in billet gears. I still have the old pump, is there a way to tell if they are billet gears. Ive cracked it open. Dont see any engravings, stamps. If they are I should be able to just swap them over to new pump vs spending $200-$300 on new gears. Thanks in advance.

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
So i finally got around to pulling the timing cover and timing set(possible issue there but i post about that later). Removed oil pump to find that the gears in this pump where darker which makes me believe that they are factory gears.

The gears in my old pump which im assuming are billet where bright and shiny. I saw a post somewhere else where the guy was upgrading to some boundary gears and he had his factory gears next them and they looked just like my old gears. Does new factory gears have the darker color that wears down after running(which what it looks like from the minor scratches)? Also is there billet gears that dont have the manufacturer stamp on them? Didnt notice any weight difference either
Below are pics of my sets and the gears from from that other post. I may just have to spend the money to be 100% sure. Thanks again for any comments
1495552836967776495917.jpg
Screenshot_20170521-211348.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread