Ideas for a shifter anyone?

Terminator03

banned
Any recomendation on aftermarket shifters. Whats good. Advice would help cause im not to fond of the stock shifter. Especially after sitting in DBK's 02 zo6. Well drop a line, much appreciated. :thumbsup:

Terminator03

banned
What does the tri-ax feel like? could anyone descibe it. Ive had 3 cobras including this one and never changed the shifter. Hehe shifting was never a big issue when a ls1 was already lengths ahead of me, but now its much more important. :-D

Black2003Cobra

Established Member
Both are really good. I've rowed both of them. The feel is awesome. Nice tight, quick short throws w/ positive stops so you can really bang the gears w/o risking damaging the shift forks. Once you've tried one Terminator03, you'll never be satisfied w/ a stock shifter. The main difference, IMO, between the Triax and Pro 5.0 is the handle on the Triax puts the knob in a better position, i.e., closer to the driver. Some guys change the handle on the Pro 5.0 for that reason. I know of one guy that put a Steeda handle on his Pro 5.0. Another nice handle I've heard about it is MSW (I think that's the right name. Anyone else chime in if that's not right.) Hope this all helps.

StreetSnake

Established Member
Just be prepared for a little more noise as neither one of those shifters come with the sound deadening that the stock one offers. That is not first hand experience, it is just what I have read from the guys who have changed them out. Although on my old 96 Cobra there was a noticeable difference in the noise level when I changed it out:beer:

svt-tmleader

Established Member
If you guys are leery about keeping the sound to a minimum, try starting with just the shifter HANDLE. Steeda sells them for like $35 and it really makes a diference.

Terminator03

banned
Im not too familiar with transmissions. Are the shift forks replacable/fixable and are they actually part of the transmission or the shifter. Thanks guys. :??:

03DOHC

Established Member
Originally posted by Terminator03
Im not too familiar with transmissions. Are the shift forks replacable/fixable and are they actually part of the transmission or the shifter. Thanks guys. :??:
I'm not familiar with T-56's, but on T-45's the shift forks are replaceable and are inside the trans, roll-pinned to a long shaft which pushes different sets of synchros to shift gears. PITA to fix, even if you have all the tools and a shop to do it in.

The T-56 is supposed to be a different design than the T-45 so it may have different things to worry about, compared to a T-45.

Blue03Cobra

The Family Dinner Improv
Established Member
I'm no expert on transmissions, but I have read that the T-56 has stops built into it, which is the most important feature of an aftermarket shifter for the T-45 (which does not have stops, thereby making the shift forks vulnerable to agressive shifting).

Can anyone confirm this?

SmithAtlanta

Established Member
After driving an 03 Cobra this weekend, I wouldn't suggest changing the shifter at all.... It's smooth with none of the problems my GT has. The problem with my GT being the shift from 2nd to 3rd. Shifting the cobra between all the gears was smooth. I really like the pop that the cobra has when you let out the clutch. It really wants you to step on the gas....

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I don't like the shifter either. It's too damn notchy. I will be installing a Triax t56 shifter soon.

Users who are viewing this thread