Ideas about modding the Explorer Platinum

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
Not sure where to put this. But I've been looking at either buying an MB GLE63 or GLC 63, but the ride is rough, and even at dealership employee pricing...high. So the obvious choice is to dump a lot of money in the explorer that I'll never get back. Currently it has a LMS 3 bar tune. The plan is to put a catback, maybe replace turbo's and HPFP. Goal performance is mid 12's. Eibach springs. But the wife has demanded replacing the rims with a staggered setup with larger 275-305 tires in the rear. Has anyone seen something like this and have an idea on who carries wheels(20x8.5/9 front 20x10 rear). I know some of the SHO guys have done wheel swaps.

nxhappy

Established Member
but its an expi lol.....so why ?
basically only option is bigger turbos.
eventually that 3.5 is gonna go BOOM

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
but its an expi lol.....so why ?
basically only option is bigger turbos.
eventually that 3.5 is gonna go BOOM
I'd eat a lot of money trading it. A lot. It only has 36K miles, so I might as well keep it. Plus I like the heated/cooled seats, massage seats, quilted leather, and the ride quality is nice. Just needs to be faster and look a little more menacing. It currently screams soccer mom, especially with the Platinum wheels.

Trackhawk.

Way too expensive new, and Jeep/dodge isn't giving insane rebates or discounts like on the Hellcat/redeyes. Now if I can find a slightly used around 50-60K.

I'm an MB guy....

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
Getting to mid-12's shouldn't be much work, TBH. The easiest addition if you stick with LMS is to get their HPFP (or an XDI-35 HPFP) and run E30 and catted downpipes. If you switched tuners (GearHead or AJP Turbo are my top choices) you could possibly run E30 on the stock HPFP (it's a mixed bag and datalogging will tell you if you can. Some easily can, some can't). If you want to stick to 93, then you'll need catted/cat-less dp's at the very least and a prayer. You should also inquire if LMS has any new tunes out for your Explorer. For the SHO, they recently released their V17 tune.

If you go turbo's, my recommendation is the GearHead turbo's because they'll act very similar to stock (fast spool) but pull harder all the way to redline. They flow enough to grenade the stock motor, so they are more than enough. GearHead is also working on an intercooler replacement because apparently it's half the size of the SHO! There are a couple SHO owners doing their own intercoolers and I have no idea if an Explorer owner has tried yet. The sweet spot seems to be right under 500awhp before you have to really start worrying about things going boom.

As far as wheels, I don't know the exact offset that would work best (I run 20x8.5 et35 on my MKS), but you certainly should be able to run that tire size as long as they are within 3% of each other in height.

Users who are viewing this thread