"Ice-box rust"

DocButters

shämən
Established Member
This happen to anybody else? Seems like the entire lid/seal is pitted out and the entire inside of the box is covered in rust deposits that settled on the bottom. Anybody know how to clean/remove the rust? How to prevent this from happening?

*ps-sorry for the crappy cell phone pics*
7035182325264orig.jpg

1035182299179orig.jpg

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Hmm, I thought those things were all aluminum. That piece must be zinc coated. That piece either needs to be acid washed or sand blasted, then I would suggest powder coating it. I recently did mine and they turned out great.

Back in the car

Go to your local ACE hardware and get a quart of a product called "acid magic". Mix the quart with a gallon of water and soak the ring in it for 30 minutes and ALL of the rust will be gone. The stuff is safe to get on your skin. Just wash the part off with dawn dish soap immediately after you remove it from the acid and promptly paint it or it will start to flash rust again. DO NOT put the aluminum in there or it won't be there for long.

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Yup those pieces get nasty. The rings are galvanized steel iirc and the bolts are non stainless.

I ordered a new ring, had it powdered, then replaced all fasteners with stainless.

Users who are viewing this thread