IAT2 temps help

Palacios289

Established Member
Hello. Yesterday, I went on a mustang rally here in Southern California. We had various stops. I noticed after each stop and once I got moving again my IAT2 temps would shoot over 200 degrees. It would take a few minutes before they would come down.

part of the rally went into higher elevations. This is where I really had problems. My IAT2 shot up to 230 degrees and would not come down. I had to pull over and cool down. Eventually I detoured around and I went to lower elevations.

all the time engine coolant temps were under 195.

I/c pump was working when I pulled over. I’m really at a loss why the IAT2 jumped so high at higher elevation.

should I start with a new I/c pump? I currently have a TF I/c tank, lfp h/e and stock OEM I/c pump. my blower is a KB 2.6.

thanks in advance.

NateDogg

Terminator
Established Member
Id start with the pump. I've had them work intermittently before..

Did you clean the IC when you had the blower off? Sometimes they get caked up pretty good and arent as efficient .

Those would be my first two things to look at.

Other more performance related solutions would obviously be the KC or the J2fab flow mod stuff.

Palacios289

Established Member
Natedogg, intercooler was cleaned. I got a bunch of caked on crap off with simple green and hot water. I thinking of just swapping out the IC pump.

Dave.O

Established Member
The ic struggles for air when you are not moving
Box in the radiator and ic together so the draw from fan will also draft through ic when stopped or at low speeds

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
It's likely the pump, but a quick check for debris stuck in/on the heat exchanger is worth doing if you haven't already. A plastic bag, for example, could wreck charge temps.

Palacios289

Established Member
I ended up ordering the 07-12 GT500 I/c pump. I checked and I don’t have any debris on my h/e. I’ll report back once I swap.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
That GT500 pump is identical to our pumps. It's the one I have currently as mine went out not too long after getting the car. It sounds like the pump to me as well. But also check your alternator. I had an alternator that wouldn't charge well at idle and it caused the pump and stuff to slow down. If I raised the rpms which raised the voltage everything would work right and I could see the IAT drop. Even without moving.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread