IAT2 Observations

bigmoose

Established Member
Just wanted to post some "cool" IAT2 observations and comparisons.

Setup
2.2 KB setup for 18#
JLT RAI - NO shroud
Killer Chiller, All lines insulated, bypassed H/E, Aftermarket HE tank.

So today I went for a cruise and took down some numbers. Ambient was 85*F.
IAT1 @ 55mph = 100*F
IAT1 @ 35mph = 120*F
IAT1 @ 25mph = 145*F

Regardless of speed my IAT2 was steady at 110*F.

Last year under similar conditions my IAT2 would be steady at 130*F, never lower after the car warmed up.

I made some minor changes over the winter and am seeing much better IAT2 temps. I took off my intercooler and cleaned it with carb cleaner, used about 2 full cans. It also looked like the previous owner didn't seal the intercooler to the blower that well, so I used some RTV grey and resealed it. I also switched from a 50/50 coolant mix to straight water with Amsoil coolant boost.

Overall pretty impressed with the improvement. I can say that my whole cruise the car felt snappy with no heatsoak. My A/C was also on full blast blowing ice cold!

I did write up an article about removing the factory I/C hard lines. They act like massive heat sinks as they sit right in front of the engine behind the radiator. Getting rid of all these lines made a big difference in my IC temps.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/upgraded-my-intercooler-lines.1034212/

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Damn those KB 2.2s really are heaters. On my whipple 2.3 set up with the KC i was usually in the 80s and 90s cruising around. In 85+ i imight hit 100 or so max. What temps do you see in your IC tank?

bigmoose

Established Member
Damn those KB 2.2s really are heaters. On my whipple 2.3 set up with the KC i was usually in the 80s and 90s cruising around. In 85+ i imight hit 100 or so max. What temps do you see in your IC tank?
I haven't measured it but it's ice cold. I also think the KB2.2 Temps are misleading. The Temps show high when cruising but actually drop with aggressive throttle.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I haven't measured it but it's ice cold. I also think the KB2.2 Temps are misleading. The Temps show high when cruising but actually drop with aggressive throttle.

Thats normal though for any blower eaton and my whipple. If you give it more throttle the temps drop a bit.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
What do data logs look like under WOT for IAT2? My killer chiller produced really cold IAT2 temps when cruising or idling etc but that doesn't mean anything. WOT (where IAT2 actually matters) and IAT2 goes through the roof. To me that's worthless. I removed the killer chiller.

bigmoose

Established Member
What do data logs look like under WOT for IAT2? My killer chiller produced really cold IAT2 temps when cruising or idling etc but that doesn't mean anything. WOT (where IAT2 actually matters) and IAT2 goes through the roof. To me that's worthless. I removed the killer chiller.
Have not data logged since the update. Before my Temps would jump but quickly come back down. Fine for me since it's a nice Sunday car that I don't race. Just a pull here an there. That's why the killer is perfect for me.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member

What I'm just not following is that yes with both the KC and when I had my afco DP my IaT2s would rise on long pulls. By as much as 30ish degrees. But the starting point with the KC is 90 degrees and I finish at 120. Where as without it it start at 115 and finish at 145 through the traps. Which is better?

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

mnetwork

Established Member
I was literally going to post about this just now and then I saw this thread. I'm on a new TVS setup with a different tuner than before. I went over the tune with him afterwards and he has the tune where it starts pulling at 120* (not sure if that is lower than or similar to most). Just a regular cruise with ambient temps in the low to mid 80's yields 120+* IAT2's. I have been looking into the Killer Chiller more and more because it seems like the perfect addition for summer cruising. Sounds like it definitely made a difference here.

Just such a pain that my 335i with a crowded engine bay and a car that normally runs 230*~ oil temps and 210*~ coolant temps with under hood open filters can have IAT2's under 110* on the hottest of days.

Last edited:

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I was literally going to post about this just now and then I saw this thread. I'm on a new TVS setup with a different tuner than before. I went over the tune with him afterwards and he has the tune where it starts pulling at 120* (not sure if that is lower than or similar to most). Just a regular cruise with ambient temps in the low to mid 80's yields 120+* IAT2's. I have been looking into the Killer Chiller more and more because it seems like the perfect addition for summer cruising. Sounds like it definitely made a difference here.

Just such a pain that my 335i with a crowded engine bay and a car that normally runs 230*~ oil temps and 210*~ coolant temps with under hood open filters can have IAT2's under 110* on the hottest of days.
Usually I thought most start pulling timing at 130*. Doesn't take long for mine to hit 120*.

Users who are viewing this thread