IAT2 Improvements with J2Fab Flow Mod

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
How many degrees did your temps drop between the light-cruise throttle position and WOT? Right at the hit, not throughout the run.
What cams are you running?
What rwhp are you seeing?
What temp t-stat are you running?
Are your cooling lines wrapped?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Interesting, never knew the new cars ran a bypass. So that means the larger the tank capacity doesnt mean cooler temps.
I spoke with justin yesterday regarding the 3gal underhood tank and ge said the are water breaks and baffling to keep the aeration down.
I'll be looking to switch over to one of these soon to get rid of my trunk tank and 1" hoses running from one end of the car to the other.
My understanding of the larger tanks was to have a larger reservoir of cool water. In a normal set up the water is still going to heat up, it'll just take longer to get there. But that also means more mass to cool down.

With the higher flowing system such a large reserve isn't needed because the system is removing the heat more efficiently.

I'm no engineer. It's just my understanding.

94slowbra1

Established Member
Great work, John! And Soap. That's excellent information on a critical weak link of these cars (well, relatively speaking.....these are insane power levels over factory)
thanks jeff. my temps are clearly in check now. but as always, the more the better :)

How many degrees did your temps drop between the light-cruise throttle position and WOT? Right at the hit, not throughout the run.
if you are asking me? ill have to look. im not sure i have any logs of just cruising around. to be honest the iat2 temps arent really a concern when just cruising around. stock cams. no dyno yet but id have to image in the 800 range given mods and similar combos. 170 chevy stat in an on3 performance coolant crossover. neither the engine coolant lines nor the i/c lines are wrapped

My understanding of the larger tanks was to have a larger reservoir of cool water. In a normal set up the water is still going to heat up, it'll just take longer to get there. But that also means more mass to cool down.

With the higher flowing system such a large reserve isn't needed because the system is removing the heat more efficiently.

I'm no engineer. It's just my understanding.
i will agree with this. flow seems to be the biggest factor here, and a more efficient h/e

The vertical flow HE must help a ton as well

Sent from my LG-H830 using the svtperformance.com mobile app
the vmp gt500 h/e dwarfs the afco dual pass i had previously. ill have to look through some pics to see if i can find it but it was crazy. the new h/e barley fits behind the front cover, it rests on the bottom of the upper opening by the emblem and hangs to where if the chin spoiler wasnt there you would see it

GM2Ford

Established Member

I logged some belt slip issues and since I still have the data up, figured I'd share this since it could help answer your question.

This picture below is from 2 days ago on like a 50*F day. My IAT2 temps were right at about 98-92*F cruising, but closer to the lower end.
825-850 rwhp
Sub 28#'s boost (Creates a lot of heat, right?)
2.9 Whipple Gen 2

Prior...

To the J2FAB system with just factory components for intercool cooling (True Forged tank up front), AND on a similar degree day. My IAT2's would be at 108-116*F cruising, then I'd do a WOT hit and my temps would be climbing. The ONLY time my temps (non J2FAB stuff) were anything close to what my J2FAB system is doing is when I'd log a WOT pull in the middle of winter on like a 18*F day. Even then, they'd still climb. (lol, it was literally the only time I had to do it and didn't feel like waiting for spring).

& at that time ^ I was only at like
Sub 16#'s boost (Doesn't create as much heat, right?)
2.9 Whipple Gen 2

J2Fab Driving Data.jpg

Now with the J2FAB system... From what I've experienced, is that anytime I hit WOT, instead of IAT2 "climbing," it decreases. It's amazing.

Stock cams
170*F t-stat
Cooling lines not wrapped

Hope that helps!

I plan on also at some put using J2FAB's intercooler & h/e for even better performance. But that's for future stuff, I'm still working out minor bugs/issues on other things.

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
I drooled looking at the monster heat exchanger and his intercooler upgrade. May have to do that some day when I boost the shit out of her :)

94slowbra1

Established Member
I wish I could find a pic of when I mounted the vmp gt500 h/e, it's a monster. I'm willing to spend the $$$$ on Justin's i/c but there is no way that his h/e is worth it over my vmp unit. If I were starting from scratch I'd do his whole new system but not now I'm good. I'm not sure how much better you can get than a 12* spread

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
John, have you logged any at the half mile events? Or any of the drag racers on the thread...any logs from the strip?

I'm wondering what kind of performance difference (i.e. - trap speed) people see say with a 126 IAT2 versus 156 IAT2. The vast majority of tunes when running E85 aren't pulling any timing until outrageous IAt2s....say 175+. So, in my example...the 126 vs 156 are still technically commanding identical timing all the way thru the traps.

Now I realize running pump gas (91 or 93)....fractions of timng are typically reduced in the tune as early as 100 IAT2....so 126 vs 156 could be significant reductios in timing (and subsequent trap loss). But E85 tunes are quite different. E85 is not near as sensitive to IAT2.

03mach1torch

Established Member
I’m new to the page. I am finishing up a whipple swap in my 03 Mach 1. I have the J2fab intercooler mod. How are you guys running the 1 inch hoses from the water manifold to trunk mount tank. Thanks for any help

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
John, have you logged any at the half mile events? Or any of the drag racers on the thread...any logs from the strip?

I'm wondering what kind of performance difference (i.e. - trap speed) people see say with a 126 IAT2 versus 156 IAT2. The vast majority of tunes when running E85 aren't pulling any timing until outrageous IAt2s....say 175+. So, in my example...the 126 vs 156 are still technically commanding identical timing all the way thru the traps.

Now I realize running pump gas (91 or 93)....fractions of timng are typically reduced in the tune as early as 100 IAT2....so 126 vs 156 could be significant reductios in timing (and subsequent trap loss). But E85 tunes are quite different. E85 is not near as sensitive to IAT2.
My 1000rwhp GT500 also drops IAT2s during a run and it holds 23-24* timing with good X85 fuel. I’m addicted to full timing on E85. I haven’t street logged in a while but I limit to 22* on street and trust my pump E85 at that level.
You’re very correct in the difference with E85 tuning.
These are great results on the ‘03-04s as I miss my ‘04 but heat soak was always an issue and it was always a worry on pump 93-94. Anyone else remember Sonoco 94? :)
-J

cj428mach

Established Member
I logged some belt slip issues and since I still have the data up, figured I'd share this since it could help answer your question.

This picture below is from 2 days ago on like a 50*F day. My IAT2 temps were right at about 98-92*F cruising, but closer to the lower end.
825-850 rwhp
Sub 28#'s boost (Creates a lot of heat, right?)
2.9 Whipple Gen 2

Prior...

To the J2FAB system with just factory components for intercool cooling (True Forged tank up front), AND on a similar degree day. My IAT2's would be at 108-116*F cruising, then I'd do a WOT hit and my temps would be climbing. The ONLY time my temps (non J2FAB stuff) were anything close to what my J2FAB system is doing is when I'd log a WOT pull in the middle of winter on like a 18*F day. Even then, they'd still climb. (lol, it was literally the only time I had to do it and didn't feel like waiting for spring).

& at that time ^ I was only at like
Sub 16#'s boost (Doesn't create as much heat, right?)
2.9 Whipple Gen 2

View attachment 1632461

Now with the J2FAB system... From what I've experienced, is that anytime I hit WOT, instead of IAT2 "climbing," it decreases. It's amazing.

Stock cams
170*F t-stat
Cooling lines not wrapped

Hope that helps!

I plan on also at some put using J2FAB's intercooler & h/e for even better performance. But that's for future stuff, I'm still working out minor bugs/issues on other things.

I remember reading 10 degree drop in temp is 1% more to from the denser air. Same principle should apply to iat2.

94slowbra1

Established Member

Unfortunately not. I haven't been to a track, 1/4 or 1/2, since I have switched to E and started logging so I don't have any old data. The only thing I have is the one time I went out with the 2.3 tvs on pump I hit 146 iat2 at the end of the 1/4. No real timing in a pump gas tune anyway.
Every log I have with the j2fab mods shows the iat2 dropping as soon as I go wot and I stay at full timing, 23*, from about 5.5k on up.
Now that everything is buttoned up and running good I hope to have some more data. And if the tracks ever open up again I'll get some from there too.
If I can keep a 12* spread in intake Temps by the end of a full pass im not sure there is much more I can ask for.
I do like the idea of more air flow through the i/c though so ill probably pick up his new i/c, less restriction

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I was curious what my IAT2's were so I just checked my dragstrip log when I trapped 138. 1st through 2nd temps were mid 80's a s 3rd gear mid 90's and end of 4th peaked at 106. This is all with a RULE 2000 pump inside of a trunk mounted 7 gallon ice tank stuffed with ice.

Do you guys think there'd be anything to gain by switching to a J2FAB I/c?

94slowbra1

Established Member
I was curious what my IAT2's were so I just checked my dragstrip log when I trapped 138. 1st through 2nd temps were mid 80's a s 3rd gear mid 90's and end of 4th peaked at 106. This is all with a RULE 2000 pump inside of a trunk mounted 7 gallon ice tank stuffed with ice.

Do you guys think there'd be anything to gain by switching to a J2FAB I/c?

Maybe I missed it but what is your current set up? Besides the trunk tank and rule pump. 106 isnt bad.
Pump or E?

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
Current setup is an aftermarket H/E (nothing too big), STOCK pump removed, and a 7 gallon Chiseled Performance ice tank with a RULE 2000 pump inside. All I use is water with some Redline water wetter.

I use E85 but that shouldn't effect blower temps tho right?

94slowbra1

Established Member
No e85 won't lower blower/iat2 Temps but it does affect when timing starts getting pulled in the tune. I assume you aren't losing any timing at 106* so thats good. Is cooler air better, yes.
My temps and most people with Justin's set up actually have temps decrease as the pull goes on. And this is with just water, no ice.
Worth it is relative. Yes you could benefit but if your temps aren't too high maybe your money is better spent elsewhere.
in the end if say go for it, it can only help. But its not cheap so weigh your options

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
That's truly amazing how they drop as the run goes on. Is this with ONLY changing over to his intercooler?

94slowbra1

Established Member
Stewart emp pump, 7 gal trunk tank, gt500 h/e and his original flow mod i/c. His new i/c is much improved overall molded stocker.
You're going to need water flow to see the real benefits, the rule pump isn't up to the task

Users who are viewing this thread