I was hit at OC cruise week.... Is my car totaled?

Huff035

Established Member
So I let my car sit the first two days of cruise week and then I was asked to run my friend to Advanced and this happened.... full fault was placed on them. Their insurance is Allstate, the adjuster hasnt been out yet but just trying to get some opinions...

I'd honestly rather it be totaled at this point because it will just never be the same and because of how much of a hit resale will take. If it isn't totaled, what are the odds of me being able to get compensation on top of repair due to the hit in resale because of a heavy front end accident with air bag deployment?

5C254830-0671-4245-A88A-2FC89B7B824E_zpsack0wcxs.jpg

8603244B-D113-4DC1-8D27-2064D22C5616_zpsade8ximq.jpg

B063528C-EFD9-43B1-A515-EDE040F5D22E_zpsuiln3nks.jpg

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
That sucks.... sorry to see this. If its not totaled you might have to sue over diminished value... that isnt usually something included in a settlement. I learned that the hard way with the wifes car. We got rear ended in a minor accident 5 years ago, car was fixed easily but now the carfax shows accident. Although minor, its still about a 8-10% reduction in trade value. Goodluck my friend!

svtsmo

^ FTW
Established Member
airbags deployed and the frame/rad support's bent. she's gone.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Have a peek down into the engine bay and see how bad the unibody rail is tweaked on that side. A friend of mine had his 98 Cobra totalled on a hit like that where it tweaked the frame, but his car was probably worth quite a bit less than yours.

Huff035

Established Member
Thanks for all the input guys, was definitely a rough day for sure. Was very hard to keep my cool, because of some kid that can't drive. Sucks the most because it was just down for a year because of getting a motor built for it, new motor has 1100 miles on it.

That's what I was thinking. If they don't total it out, which they might try to pull, then I would fight it. The car will be worth almost nothing with frame damage.

I already decided, that if they dont total it that i will be letting them know right away that i will be seeking a settlement for the diminished value, whether its given or i have to fight for it.

Dave_6

Established Member
Damn that sucks! :( Judging by the damage to the inner sheet metal (plus the bags being blown), I would say it probably is totaled.

vettez062002

baller on a budget
Established Member
its totalled. please let me know if you want to buy it back from insurance and sell it. I would be interested in it as a whole so I can finally finish my project car thats been sitting for a few years..

Last edited:

mnewxcv

Established Member
looked like a gorgeous car too. that sucks man. Good luck. If its totaled, what are you going to buy?

Huff035

Established Member
looked like a gorgeous car too. that sucks man. Good luck. If its totaled, what are you going to buy?

Thanks... I have no idea, maybe another cobra... might end up back in a Fbody, also have kicked around a CTSV. First thing will be the part out, which could take awhile.

coachL

Established Member
I have seen a lot worse than that not being totaled. What they do is make an estimate on repair and if it is 50% of the value of the car then they total it. Your value and there value will be 2 different things. They don't care that you just put a built motor in , to them it de- values the car.

TClark22

Established Member
airbags deployed. probably frame tweaked. I'd say she's gone.

That sucks. Cause that was a clean ass cobra.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
Ugh. Those pictures make me sick. Was really hoping it wouldn't be a Cobra when I opened this. Really sorry to hear man. Shit like this is why I am always so paranoid having mine out. People really just don't pay attention when driving anymore. Almost got taken out myself this morning by some dim witted house wife in her new Lexus doing her makeup. :fm:

Hopefully this gets settled correctly for you.

fearthesnake

Established Member
Feel for you man. That sucks. Worse part is it didn't hardly damage the Toyo it appears. Good luck on your settlement or course of action!

big reg

Gets his shit pushed in
Established Member
I have seen a lot worse than that not being totaled. What they do is make an estimate on repair and if it is 50% of the value of the car then they total it. Your value and there value will be 2 different things. They don't care that you just put a built motor in , to them it de- values the car.
In NY it's 75%

What a beautiful car , such a shame especially for it to be a DSG.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread