I want more power, suggestions please!

Dan

Established Member
I have a '93 Cobra and am looking for more power. This car is strictly street driven and is my daily driver during the non-Winter months. I have installed full length header, hi-flow H, and the Ultra-Flo cat-back and am making around 242 rwhp and 281 rwtq. I have 3.73 gears and kenny brown super subs. Other than that the car is relatively stock. I am trying to determine the best approach to significantly bump the useable street power while maintaining reliability and drivability. I think I want to get the horsepower up to 300-350 but don't want to give-up anything in the process (other than cash of course).

I get the impression that if I replace the heads, cam, etc. I would gain high RPM horsepower but that I may actually loose low-end power (torque). Adding a blower is the way I am leaning, and am confused between the benefits of a Vortech versus the Kenne-Bell. While the peak horsepower of the centrifugal looks very appealing, I am more interested in the "seat of the pants" feel of power than peak horsepower in an RPM range I may not typically be in. Ideally I would like a solution that increased power at all RPM levels without giving up something.

Which adds more power in the 3-4000 RPM range? Do you think going the N/A route or the blower route makes more sense? If I were to install better heads how much of an increase in useable power would I get? If I go with a supercharger, which do you think I would be happiest with?

Thanks for any opinions, suggestions, or recommendations.

BlackGN

Hey Dan,

Your probably wondering what a buick guy is doing replying to your post. Well, i have had 4 mustangs previous to my GN. ( 3 5.0's and a 98 Cobra ) In my experience, there are 3 things that wake up a fox body. 1. a blower 2. nitrous 3. heads If it were me, i would keep it naturally aspirated for as long as possible. My opinion is slap on a pair of twisted wedge 2.02-1.60 heads, a GT-40 upper and lower intake, and a mild cam such as an e-303 or a f-303. this is good for about 330-360 rwhp depending on your cam. If you are planning on adding a power adder to that later on i would have a custom grind cam built for your application. As far as a blower goes, i recommend the vortec s-trim over the kenne bell. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Dan

Established Member
Thanks! I appreciate the advise.

As a Cobra I think it already has the GT-40 lower and has the Cobra upper. It is making 242rwhp now, if I installed good aluminum heads and a E303 cam do you think it would be 300+ at the rear?

Do you think the increased horse power would be noticeable in the 2500-4500 range or are the changes primarily going to improve high rpm power? I would like to improve power 2500 to redline while maintaining a streetable idle.

I would appreciate any input others have too!

Last edited:

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
Re: Hey Dan,

Originally posted by BlackGN
Your probably wondering what a buick guy is doing replying to your post. Well, i have had 4 mustangs previous to my GN. ( 3 5.0's and a 98 Cobra ) In my experience, there are 3 things that wake up a fox body. 1. a blower 2. nitrous 3. heads If it were me, i would keep it naturally aspirated for as long as possible. My opinion is slap on a pair of twisted wedge 2.02-1.60 heads, a GT-40 upper and lower intake, and a mild cam such as an e-303 or a f-303. this is good for about 330-360 rwhp depending on your cam. If you are planning on adding a power adder to that later on i would have a custom grind cam built for your application. As far as a blower goes, i recommend the vortec s-trim over the kenne bell. Hope this helps.

One question how are you getting 10.50's out of a V-6 powered Grand national???????? 1/8ths?????

Users who are viewing this thread