I tried installing my springs and...

jrh99

Established Member
I started with the Driver's side rear but couldn't get the top nut off the sway bar endlink.

The bolt was kind of rusty and ended stripping at the end where the 7mm wrench is supposed to hold it still. So now I'm left to using a set of vice grips, which is proving to be impossible.

After trying to do the job with wrenches I put an impact gun on it and it still wouldn't spin off!

My buddy suggested I pop the white cap off the outside of the endlink. Thinking that there may be a bolt behind there to hold onto. NOPE, just a ball end with grease.

Now I have to replace that piece and I'm not finding anything aftermarket (that wouldn't rust). I'm sure I could get another stock endlink from the dealership, if that's my only option.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions? Am I the only jackass that can't do his own springs right the first time?

Thanks for any help!

toadman

Established Member
Hey bro,

I just did mine and didn't have to fool with the swaybar in the rear. I just unbolted the lower shock bolt. I was able to pry down on the lower control arm enough to "slip" the spring out.

Are you using a spring compressor?

jrh99

Established Member
No, I wasn't using a spring compressor.

I'm assuming you did?...

toadman

Established Member
Yep, I rented one from Autozone. I think you're going to need it, especially to remove the front springs. I was able to install the new fronts without a compressor by unbolting the sway bar link and unbolting the brake caliper and supporting it with a wire coat hanger. You can pry down the front lower control arms enough to slip in the new springs. In the rear, though, I had to use the compressor to install the new springs.

jrh99

Established Member
Did you have to cut the bolt off the compressor to make it work?

That's the reason I wanted to try doing it without.

toadman

Established Member
I didn't cut the bolt, but I had to use about a 4 or 5 inch piece of pipe to use as spacer...you could use a few large nuts or even a bunch of washers/ spacers, as long as they slide over the bolt...

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Getting stock springs off with a compressor isnt a big deal but getting the compressor on aftermarket springs can be a chore.

As for sway bar endlinks, they are kinda fragile, I didnt wreck mine, but dont feel bad, your not the first to wreck them. Before starting any undercarriage project I like to spray the hell out of nuts/bolts I will be removings every day for a few days before the project.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
You do not need a compressor for the front springs at all.

Put a jack under the A arm. Unbolt the caliper. Unbolt the 2 bolts that hold the strut to the spindle. Unbolt the one nut that holds on the sway bar to the bushing. unbolt the ABS sensor. Slowly lower the jack until the spring is fully extended. Now press down on the A arm as much as possible and pull on the spring. It will come out. It helps if you have a friend pushing down on the A arm with their foot. I do these all the time with no compressor.

Putting it back in do the same, lube it up a little if needed. It will slip right in. Then jack it back up

Last edited:

hdsupercrewf150

Established Member
I rented a spring xompressor from Kragen and only got the rear drivers side out. It was a b!tch trying to pry that sucker out. I started on the passenger side and couldn't do it so I took it to a friends shop and the did it for $70. The only easy part was install since they were coil overs.

I'll try to do the fronts as stated above when they come in.

RossSVT

Established Member
Joe,

How did you make out? If you want, give me a PM and I'll give you a call. I just did mine 2 weeks ago.

Roger

jrh99

Established Member
I just ordered the rear sway bar endlink from Ford. It should arrive in a few day. It was only about 35 dollars.

I also asked the local Autozone if they had spring compressors for rent. They have 2 different kinds. One goes inside the spring for $40. And the other goes outside the spring for $50.

Which one would be best?

Roger, thanks for the offer. I'm going to hold off on trying the install again until I have the endlink. But I'll keep your offer in mind if I get in a jam. Thanks.

I am taking a vacation the week of the 16th - 20th, so I'll probably do it that week.
Just in time for Fun Ford Weekend! :rockon:

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
If you got the sway bar endlinks off your home free really. Just pull rear IRS bolts, detatch bottom knuckle bolt and bottom shock bolt lower IRS and springs will fall out.

jrh99

Established Member
Originally posted by Shadowgray03
If you got the sway bar endlinks off your home free really. Just pull rear IRS bolts, detatch bottom knuckle bolt and bottom shock bolt lower IRS and springs will fall out.

Yeah, that's what I thought... trust me I was pretty aggrivated when I got stuck on that one last bolt. :bash:

I'll get it right soon though. Thanks for the help guys.

Users who are viewing this thread