I sipped the AED koolaid, I'm a happy camper!

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Not sure how temps affect these cars. Either way, for 90 degree heat and minimal mods, I'm quite pleased. Not to mention, the car is now fun as hell to drive.

Every time I have set a personal best, it has been as the result of a hot lap. It is totally counter to all I have done for years and years...but these cars make power when they are hot.

Mike

SicShelby09

Banned
Every time I have set a personal best, it has been as the result of a hot lap. It is totally counter to all I have done for years and years...but these cars make power when they are hot.

Mike

I noticed that too. My car made its best pass two weekends ago on my 5th hotlap in a row. I was frustrated with the clutch issues I was having, and just kept going back in the staging lanes to get a clean pass.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
BTW, I'm still waiting for the heads Ravi.

FYI... I have life outside of my car hobby.

I am a full time student, matter of fact Double time student. (Taking 25 units in college this semester) so haha

Don't worry Shaun you might be seeing the head very soon. I just need time to take the motor out and take the heads off again.

pohnjarker

Established Member
Went to a local dyno day today. Car put down 397hp and 387tq. Quite satisfied considering my only real power mod is the h pipe, along with Shaun's tune. By comparison, another GT with tune,
axle backs, boss intake, and JLT cold air put down 417 and 380.

Probably would have broken 400 if it weren't 90 degrees outside/ in the shop.

I was there too, I put down 408/387 with Shauns tune, JLT intake, and cat deletes and muffler deletes

Bowtie-X

Oh No.. not a NOOB again.
Established Member
If you're talking about the 5.0 and #8 there are a few things to take into account.
We found the cause of the #8 in late Dec, and it's in the Factory tune. First thing after the new year I sent out updates to all customers which resolved this issue correctly. (tested/verified the cause and fix)

That particular car was sent a tune in late Nov, a local who was supposed to load the 'base' tune for the CAI and bring it to me to dial in. He never showed and a few weeks later said he had the #8 go.

The #8 is in the Factory tune. But it doesn't show up unless you:
1. Have a clutch/flywheel replaced and a Nuetral Profile Relearn is not performed. P03xx trouble code
2. Got WOT for an extended amount of time (5th/6th gear WOT pulls).

That customer went WOT past 145mph in a car that was not yet dialed in. Just a 'base' SCT value file for the Maff and I was waiting for him to come in for a full tune.
The tune issue is based on Maff lb/min calculated vs the factory limits. Adding a CAI will hit these limts much easier than a stock CAI. Another reason why aftermarket CAI's don't perform at the track vs stock CAI's.

FWIW there have been factory stock cars that have blown, as well as TracKey tuned stock Boss's.
No car is imune as it's in the Factory tune.

Which means you really do want a tuner that knows what the cause is, and the proper solution to do in the calibration.

Not quite... "FACTORY TUNE WILL COMMAND STOICH ON WOT" and I have logged this on factory stock cars in 5th gear at WOT, however cat overtemp fueling enrichment kicked in at 14.0:1 A/F and richened the mixture, saving the motor.

Here's a log from a Member on this site. Factory stock 2012 GT on the stock tune.
This is a 5th gear run and it shows the ECU commanding a lean A/F at WOT, then cat overtemp protection kicks in and richens the mixture. You can see the ECU is also pulling spark (likely thru Knock sensors) in an effort to save the motor.

Imagine if this was a tuned car with off-road exhaust. A tuner may turn off Cat enrichment since there are no cats, add some ignition timing and if it was a year ago, modify the knock sensors to not pull as much timing.....
Tuners made the problem worse, but they did not cause it.

Stock50LogSnapshot.gif

WoW! I don't mean to bring up this old thread but after emailing Shawn today regarding his tunes and getting the confirmation from him that the #8 is in the factory tune I decided to take this info and do a little research myself and I can't believe my 4k miles old 2013 GT M6 is a perfect candadite for this #8 issue!

As some of you guys might know from many threads I started in the past I been trying to figure out why my track app and torque app are both showing 13.9-14.1 or stoich on WOT, and if these values I am seeing is just a glitch or very real. Now I know this is very real. My 2013 is commanding stoich on WOT!! Now it all make sense. I always wondered if my car felt underpowered on WOT and sometimes it would feel like something was holding back the 420hp on WOT. I always knew something was not right but with no CEL and the car running ok overall I just thought maybe it was me getting used to 420hp.

So have any of you other 2013 GT guys been checking your WOT AFR on your track app? Especially the manual guys. What I still don't understand is why are some cars commanding stoich on WOT from the factory tune? Obviously this problem is in the tune like Shawn have concluded. So how are cars coming off the factory line with stoich WOT AFR? I'm glad that I have the track app or otherwise I probably would have never known, not to mention, how many stock 11-12 GT guys that are running around blindly and not even knowing their car is running stoich on WOT and losing power due to timing pulled and COT.

What make this even worst is that my dealer where I purchased my vehicle from said not to worry if I don't have any CEL when I expressed my concern regarding my WOT stoich AFR:( so does this mean the only way I can have my car running the way it should is with a tune that will void my warranty? I don't know what to make of this.

Bowtie-X

Established Member
So obviously my car is calibrated from factory to go stoich on WOT since my logs show that the ECM is commanding 1(14.1 for e10). What I don't get is, why are
only "some" coyotes seeing this? Supposedly, some people's are seeing the "normal factory" low to mid 12 AFR all day with no issue according to some of the replys I was getting on one of my threads that I started a while back regarding stoich WOT AFR. Or, those guys didnt know WTH they was talking about and every copperhead is programmed to command stoich on WOT?

Looking through more posts made by Shawn in this issue, it look as tho WOT stoich AFR is a purpose filled strategy by ford to have a better torque curve at higher RPM but the lean condition is protected via COT protection which dumps fuel to cool off the cats. Supposedly there are more reason to why ford decided to go this route.

So another question is this. Is this really normal and expected? Again, purposely tuned this way by ford? It's really hard to wrap this around my head and believe that ford really programmed stoich on WOT.

Does anyone know if procal fix this WOT stoich issue or does anyone know what AFR their ECM is now commanding on WOT after procal?

I'm glad I talk to Shawn:beer:, or I would of still been listening to some of these supposedly know it all guys and still thinking my track app had a glitch LOL:bash:

Last edited:

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
WoW! I don't mean to bring up this old thread but after emailing Shawn today regarding his tunes and getting the confirmation from him that the #8 is in the factory tune I decided to take this info and do a little research myself and I can't believe my 4k miles old 2013 GT M6 is a perfect candadite for this #8 issue!

As some of you guys might know from many threads I started in the past I been trying to figure out why my track app and torque app are both showing 13.9-14.1 or stoich on WOT, and if these values I am seeing is just a glitch or very real. Now I know this is very real. My 2013 is commanding stoich on WOT!! Now it all make sense. I always wondered if my car felt underpowered on WOT and sometimes it would feel like something was holding back the 420hp on WOT. I always knew something was not right but with no CEL and the car running ok overall I just thought maybe it was me getting used to 420hp.

So have any of you other 2013 GT guys been checking your WOT AFR on your track app? Especially the manual guys. What I still don't understand is why are some cars commanding stoich on WOT from the factory tune? Obviously this problem is in the tune like Shawn have concluded. So how are cars coming off the factory line with stoich WOT AFR? I'm glad that I have the track app or otherwise I probably would have never known, not to mention, how many stock 11-12 GT guys that are running around blindly and not even knowing their car is running stoich on WOT and losing power due to timing pulled and COT.

What make this even worst is that my dealer where I purchased my vehicle from said not to worry if I don't have any CEL when I expressed my concern regarding my WOT stoich AFR:( so does this mean the only way I can have my car running the way it should is with a tune that will void my warranty? I don't know what to make of this.

Yeah i think Shaun really knows his stuff and thats why anything ford makes will be tuned by him LOL!

twistedneck

Established Member
i never trust the AFR measured in the torque app since its got the 100% gasoline 14.62 vs. E10 14.0 conversion from lambda to AFR. And i think that factory lean out starts at 15 or 20 seconds so you would not just see it in normal WOT conditons. This is all just based on Shaun's thread. The L&M thread also bring up this issue but say its not just 8, it could be that left bank in general thats the fails they see.

Bowtie-X

Established Member
i never trust the AFR measured in the torque app since its got the 100% gasoline 14.62 vs. E10 14.0 conversion from lambda to AFR. And i think that factory lean out starts at 15 or 20 seconds so you would not just see it in normal WOT conditons. This is all just based on Shaun's thread. The L&M thread also bring up this issue but say its not just 8, it could be that left bank in general thats the fails they see.

The track app show 14.1 calibrated to E10. All copperheads are programmed for E10. My obd2 datalog show the same on WOT and part throttle/idle as my track app also. Not sure about the 15 to 20 seconds either. Mine show stoich on WOT very frequently and it's definitely no 15 to 20 seconds. It's usually as soon as I WOT. Yes, and this is a 2013 GT with a build date of may 2013:??:

The truth is in the commanded EQ in the datalog which clearly show command 1 on WOT:(

Last edited:

5pointohh

ballin' on a budget
Established Member
The track app show 14.1 calibrated to E10. All copperheads are programmed for E10. My obd2 datalog show the same on WOT and part throttle/idle as my track app also. Not sure about the 15 to 20 seconds either. Mine show stoich on WOT very frequently and it's definitely no 15 to 20 seconds. It's usually as soon as I WOT. Yes, and this is a 2013 GT with a build date of may 2013:??:

The truth is in the commanded EQ in the datalog which clearly show command 1 on WOT:(

mine was built in the may 2012 - and I have never noticed this issue. when i'm on the throttle hard, i always have the a/f gauge up and i pay attention to it.

Bowtie-X

Established Member
mine was built in the may 2012 - and I have never noticed this issue. when i'm on the throttle hard, i always have the a/f gauge up and i pay attention to it.

This^^^^^ I'm trying to figure this one out myself. This isn't the first time I heard someone say their 2013 AFR is on point. When I see other stock coyote guys that have perfect AFR reading I really don't know what to make of it. Especially when my dealer is telling me not to worry about my WOT stoich.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

BobCat

Established Member
If you want to know if it's been fixed or on not in your calibration go WOT in 5th or 6th gear from a low RPM and keep it there for 10sec....if it doesn't have a corrected calibration then it will transition to stoich....

Bowtie-X

Established Member
I never installed my procal. I will most likely just go with Shawn's tune. However, I did speak with my dealership again today regarding my WOT stoich and they want me to bring the car back in next week to do more testing. I really didn't have any plans to go with SCT anytime soon, but I plan to just go ahead and have my procal installed then and I plan to keep it if my AFR get fixed. I might as well try it since I can't find a buyer anyway. I talk to couple other well known tuners today, I wont name them, but its kind of strange that some tuners doesn't seem to have any idea on some stock coyotes running stoich on WOT.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread