I need some tire advice - getting rid of GY's

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
I am going to get my mod on for the 2014 Shelby.

My car is currently completely stock.

This spring I plan on (all at once) do the following:

1. change to 3:73 FRPP rears

2. Install Stainless Works cat-back exhaust http://stainlessworks.net/index.php/products/performance-systems/exhausts-catbacks/ford-shelby-gt500-2013-2014-exhausts.html

3. Change all four tires. Way too many days in St. Louis with 35-50 degrees that I could drive the car but the tires are not good for it.
(a) I will not go to the drag strip with this car (other car is faster), but I want a better grip
(b) I don't really launch the car
(c) I am staying with the stock SVTPP wheels for now and do not want rubbing issues
(d) Going to replace the front, it would be nice if the type of tire or at least brand of tire matched
(e) Looking at either the NT05R's or the NT05's 315 35 R20 (rears)
(f) I avoid the rain (car has not seen the rain yet)

4. A tune for the speedo after tire and gear change.

Now I could add to the list since I am going to knock it out all at once.

You guys can help me decide on the tires for sure. The cat-back will let me hear how loud the car is, then I might still do SW headers later, next year.

Am I missing anything? Tires?

Thanks for the help in advance!

E

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I have two 315/35/20 Nitto NT05Rs and two 275/40/19 Michelin MPSS 105Y's ready to go on mine. Theyr'e all in the garage ready to be mounted. Most people are recommending the Nitto's for the back so they hook and not give you the Michelin MPSS "wobble." Plus they fit the stock rims fine.

Read the thread on wobble before you pull the trigger on tires.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Ablaze

Established Member
Waiting to hear feedback from BlueAngel but I'll be going about the same route myself.

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I'm going to get them mounted next weekend, and I'll report back how they feel once I'm able to find a law free safe place to test them! :burnout:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Another tire thread? :)
Great mods, go with the 315/35/20s and consider 4.10s.
You're best bet is to send the stock rear wheels to Weldcraft in MI and have them widened to 11" and run the NT05Rs, that's what I did.
-J

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
Great mods, go with the 315/35/20s and consider 4.10s.
You're best bet is to send the stock rear wheels to Weldcraft in MI and have them widened to 11" and run the NT05Rs, that's what I did.
-J

LOL, yes another tire thread....

Thanks for the response! Why would I have the wheels widened (honest question), from what I have read in other threads the NT05R's are okay to run on stock rims? I guess I'd rather leave the wheels stock, but if there is good reasoning I am not against it either.

What tires for the front if going with the NT05R's in the rear? Above BlueAngel says the MPSS (I have read the wobble thread, one reason I am not looking at the MPSS for the rear) in front, any reason for those over Nitto fronts?

Also, the Nitto tire selector on their website shows no tires for the 2013-14 Shelbys :shrug:

E

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
I picked Michelins for the front because my experience has been they give a smoother ride over other tires.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
You're best bet is to send the stock rear wheels to Weldcraft in MI and have them widened to 11" and run the NT05Rs.
+1.

Why would I have the wheels widened (honest question), from what I have read in other threads the NT05R's are okay to run on stock rims? I guess I'd rather leave the wheels stock, but if there is good reasoning I am not against it either.

Also, the Nitto tire selector on their website shows no tires for the 2013-14 Shelbys :shrug:
"Okay to run" is a matter of perspective and risk acceptance. According to Nitto, "Approved Rim Width" for their P315/35R20 is "10.5-(11.0)-12.5" inches. That means, regardless of how they might LOOK, you're squeezing tires meant for rims 1"-3" WIDER than our cars have when you mount them on (stock) 9.5" rims. That's why Nitto's "website shows no tires for the 2013-14 Shelbys." I suspect it's also why biminiLX recommended widening. Obviously, we're each free to setup our cars the way we want them. From a risk perspective, however, I wouldn't run tires that large on rims that small and it's relatively certain Nitto won't be liable for any potential damage/injury when their tires are installed on rims so far out of recommended spec.

Last edited:

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
+1.

"Okay to run" is a matter of perspective and risk acceptance. According to Nitto, "Approved Rim Width" for their P315/35R20 is "10.5-(11.0)-12.5" inches. That means, regardless of how they might LOOK, you're squeezing tires meant for rims 1"-3" WIDER than our cars' have when you mount them on (stock) 9.5" rims. That's why Nitto's "website shows no tires for the 2013-14 Shelbys." I suspect it's also why biminiLX recommended widening. Obviously, we're each free to setup our cars the way we want them. From a risk perspective, however, I wouldn't run tires that large on rims that small and it's relatively certain Nitto won't be liable for any potential damage/injury when their tires are installed on rims so far out of recommended spec.

Thanks!

I am assuming the widened rim is to the inside, right? I'll contact Weldcraft first.

E

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
315/35/20 Nitto NT05Rs and two 275/40/19 Michelin MPSS 105Y's

I have this exact setup on my car and LOVE it!! No issues with rubbing and traction is by far better then I could imagine. Only thing different then above is I'm running a 10.5" wheel on the back. I'm stock for suspension but that will be changing this spring.

Ablaze

Established Member
I have this exact setup on my car and LOVE it!! No issues with rubbing and traction is by far better then I could imagine. Only thing different then above is I'm running a 10.5" wheel on the back. I'm stock for suspension but that will be changing this spring.

Do you have any pictures from the side with this setup?

99SSls1

Established Member
Just honest here but a 305 wil look better then the 315. After seeing all kinds of dr's on the 305 on our rim looked the best. Mind you I have the 315 nt05r but someone on here has mt dr's 305 on his 500 and they have similar tread pattern just not so much bulge.

I think it was this tire. Maybe he will post up as it was a black gt500 in Ocala.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mtt-90000000957/overview/

Last edited:

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Thanks, that is the thread that I referred to with the 315's mounted on the stock rims. I did not realize the stock rims were only 9.5s though, and it's is prolly worth it to have the wheels widened out to 11"

E

To me there is no significant bulge on the stock rims so I'm going to have mine mounted on stock rims and run 30-35psi in them when driving "normally!" That picture of the red car convinced me they will work fine.

Thx,

Mike

paluka21

Established Member
Thanks, that is the thread that I referred to with the 315's mounted on the stock rims. I did not realize the stock rims were only 9.5s though, and it's is prolly worth it to have the wheels widened out to 11"

E

It is worth it IMO, but keep in mind also that you will need to alter the inner frame rail where the stock bump stops contact, and then relocate the bump stops in order to run a wider wheel. The problem surfaces when you jack the car up and the suspension is uncompressed, the wheel will come in contact with the metal part of the inner frame hence holding the weight of the rear on the wheel itself. I believe there are two methods to remedy this.

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
It is worth it IMO, but keep in mind also that you will need to alter the inner frame rail where the stock bump stops contact, and then relocate the bump stops in order to run a wider wheel. The problem surfaces when you jack the car up and the suspension is uncompressed, the wheel will come in contact with the metal part of the inner frame hence holding the weight of the rear on the wheel itself. I believe there are two methods to remedy this.

Thanks, I will look around for a thread on relocating the bump stops and alter inner frame rail.

I appreciate all the help!

E

BlueAngel2014

Established Member
Well my baby is 1 year old today and had 3519 miles on her when I had new shoes put on her.

OH HELL YES! These are the tires that should have COME with this car!!! I can take off now and hold it wide open without it fishtailing all over the road. I feel a bit of spin, but not very significant. These Nittos stick like crazy compared to the GYs. The Michelins up front smooth out the ride tremendously and the steering wheel turns much easier now with the MPSSs up front.

All my rims are stock. I see no significant bulge from the 315s on the back either. The 275/40's up front look much better too.

I'm going to go out, check all my air pressures and make sure the lugs are torqued properly, go fill up and have a little fun driving this thing now!!!

It is now like it is attached to a rail!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

You do NOT have to do that much.
As well documented in other threads, you can mount 315/35/20 NT05Rs on stock 9.5" wheels and have no problems.
The IDEAL way is to widened the factory wheels, also well documented.
'Great Asp' if you have the time and money, widening the stock wheels to 11" and running 315 NT05Rs may require a 1/4" spacer, maybe none at all.
Member 'shetheri' had his wheels widened to 11.5" by Weldcraft and ran 315/35/20 MPSS tires and only required a 1/4" spacer, no bump stop mods. This is a significantly wider combo than the 11"/315 NT05Rs so you might be able to get around without a spacer, hard to tell.
Either way, have an adjustable panhard rod for any wider tire combo to center the rear.
Just trying to help and give you some advice, the NT05R and the mods you listed are great choices, so the simplest way is to follow your plan as originally posted.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread