I need replacement engine advice

03cobra#116

Established Member
I gave my daughter my 97 Tbird when she was a senior at GA Tech about 5 years ago. It had 97k miles. Now it has 163k miles and she is ready for a new car, in part because of the metal-on-metal sounds she heard from the engine today.

I may need to put a new engine in it. I'd like more power than it had originally, but I don't want to change the hood or the look of the car. And I'd rather have quiet mufflers.

What engine options would be good ones, something in the 300HP+ range?

I'm quiet fond of superchargers.

Would the original automatic transmission hold up with the increased power?

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
I know more than a few guys have swapped in the 4v 4.6 with relative easy. I'm sure tccoa has more info on it...

80blue

Established Member
figured i'd chime in

it seems on tccoa if you so much as mention the 5.4 you get raped by"not worth it" statements and to be honest i agree.You could much easily swap in a mark VIII engine with very very minimal effort or a 2v from an explorer.Those are the two most popular swaps.

Ive put an explorer engine in my t bird and i can say for the first engine i put in a car it was a cake walk,very minor things have to be switched over like the front cover,the oil pan and pickup,and a few other things.

As for difference in performance,its a different car now,with the engine a one or two other mods,a shit reaction time and 60 ft i managed a 14.8 with my explorer engine,ive since added a few other things a few i havent installed yet but for example ive got VT stage 1's,a re-tune for my xcal,gt intake tube and airbox,an 01 mustang trans,3.73's,frpp 70mm t/b and thats about it and with that i should be able to get 13's,just to give you an idea

and if your looking for 300 hp,add a kb to the explorer engine,or a vortech and you'll be set

Little J's 5.4

Established Member
There are no intakes for the 5.4L that will fit in a T-Bird unless you make one. Not many people have done the swap in a thunderbird. The swap is not hard and the engine & intake is a much better fit for a stang.... :shrug:

I suggest a 99 Mustang PI 4.6L 2V engine. Port the heads and throw in an Allen Supercharger and you are set with a easy and reliable engine... :coolman:

Last edited:

FineLineMtrSprt

I like bacon!
Established Member
Cost effective way. Just drop in a 2v Engine out of a newer Stang gt. Throw in a set of stage 1 cams while the engine is out. A bullit or p51 manifold,headers and a 75mm MAF kit. Have the trans rebuilt with performance clutches and throw a nice conv. in it. Have 3rd member rebuilt throw in some 3.73 gears and new Trak Loc or maybe an auburn diff and have at it. For another 2500-3k you could throw a blower on there make 400hp with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread