I need opinions on braking upgrade for Maximum stopping power

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I have reached the point where I feel like my stock 13" cobra setup has met its limit. I already have upgraded pads and rotors, and I'm sure I could do well with a stainless line upgrade and some top of the line fluid, but I feel like It might be best to do an upgrade.

My car makes in the 1000 wheel hp range, weighs less than 3500 with me in it, and I do a lot of 1/4mi passes and roll race events. At the last event, stopping the car from 160+ was not the easiest task. Especially when I was lined up with z06's and Porche's that stop with ease.

I have been trying to do some research but all I can really find is information about road racing guys, brake fading, rotor temp after multiple laps, etc. I need more information regarding the most benefit in stopping the car from high speed.

I have been looking at the 00R kit (to give the option to keep 17's in front), and the 6pot Wilwood 14" kit. Also a DIY kit from FTR that uses adapter brackets to mount 14" brembo 4 pot brakes from the 11+ cars. In the end, all will be about the same cost.

I am sure it doesnt help my cause much that I have 10.5" gt sized rear rotors, but I do that to run 15" wheels.

I would love to hear any insight from you guys on this. I am by no means a braking expert.

oldmodman

Established Member
Look toward a 14" rotor upgrade along with a six piston caliper. Go with a two piece rotor & hat if you can. it will save quite a bit of unsprung weight.

Somewhere on here is a test of 13 vs 14 inch rotors and the 14" rotors were MUCH cooler after a multi lap test. Identical cars and tires were used.

EB85

Established Member
Stainless lines and quality fluid are cheap upgrades that can still make a difference. Especially if the fluid is old. Also maybe fab up some cooling ducts if heat is an issue?

What are the pads on the car currently?

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Stainless lines and quality fluid are cheap upgrades that can still make a difference. Especially if the fluid is old. Also maybe fab up some cooling ducts if heat is an issue?

What are the pads on the car currently?

I really don't believe that heat is an issue, it just feels like the car needs more braking force. Not that they are fading, more that it seems like they just plain can not stop the car fast enough.

lines and fluid was my next intended upgrades before I started looking at other kits. I am not 100% about the pads on there now. I bought a brake motive kit that came with their own. and honestly, for the price, it has served me well. I did just snag some Hawk HPS pads however, so I may just do some stainless lines and better fluid to start.

Last edited:

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
Look toward a 14" rotor upgrade along with a six piston caliper. Go with a two piece rotor & hat if you can. it will save quite a bit of unsprung weight.

Somewhere on here is a test of 13 vs 14 inch rotors and the 14" rotors were MUCH cooler after a multi lap test. Identical cars and tires were used.

I think I saw that when I was doing my research. I just did not know how different the two would be in their ability to stop the car, distance wise.

My big brakes dont stop any better than stockers.

Well that is disappointing

94slowbra1

Established Member
its all about leverage. a 14" kit has alot more that a 13" kit. get a solid set of calipers (brembo, baer or wilwood) and a 2 piece rotor to help with both weight and heat. most big brake kits come with stainless lines so you will be set there and some good fluid. if you run 15s in the back then you are stuck with what fits. but again some stainless lines and a good pad back there should help. if someones 14" big brakes dont stop better than there factory 13" brakes then something is wrong. bruce from full tilt boogie sells a nice 14" brembo kit and so does wilwood and baer. its all about how much you want to spend. one thing to consider is pad availability and selection and also replacement cost.

EB85

Established Member
I really don't believe that heat is an issue, it just feels like the car needs more braking force. Not that they are fading, more that it seems like they just plain can not stop the car fast enough.

lines and fluid was my next intended upgrades before I started looking at other kits. I am not 100% about the pads on there now. I bought a brake motive kit that came with their own. and honestly, for the price, it has served me well. I did just snag some Hawk HPS pads however, so I may just do some stainless lines and better fluid to start.

If it came in a kit, they very well could be generic crap pads. Considering the vehicle weight and speed, throw a set of Hawk HP+'s in front and rear on a set of new or cut rotors.

Do they dust a lot by any chance? If they do, they might be some cheapo reboxed pads or a set of ceramics. You need a good semi-metallic pad that bites pretty hard.

Edit: What do you have for wheels on the car? A set of heavy ass reps are harder to slow down than a set of lighter forged wheels.

Last edited:

ZR5.0

Established Member
Combination of Cobra R Brembo's up front with Carbotech pads all round, night and day difference vs stock, wish I'd done it sooner.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Your problem is you need more brake mass. The stock 13" Brembo rotors and designed to haul the car down to a stop from 155 mph and you just over that line. Wilwood makes a very nice 14" x 1 1/4" 2 piece rotor that weighs the same as the stockers at 19 lbs. 6 pot calipers should grab a little better than a 4 piston version but in a drag racer that only needs to stop once I would opt for the lighter less expensive option.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
If it came in a kit, they very well could be generic crap pads. Considering the vehicle weight and speed, throw a set of Hawk HP+'s in front and rear on a set of new or cut rotors.

Do they dust a lot by any chance? If they do, they might be some cheapo reboxed pads or a set of ceramics. You need a good semi-metallic pad that bites pretty hard.

Edit: What do you have for wheels on the car? A set of heavy ass reps are harder to slow down than a set of lighter forged wheels.

I am sure they are crap pads. I believe they are the brake motive kit sold on ebay. However, after much research before I bought them, they had raved reviews from all types of car owners that did all types of racing. And yes, my fronts are heavy. They are 17x7 but they are prostar reps from summit.

Combination of Cobra R Brembo's up front with Carbotech pads all round, night and day difference vs stock, wish I'd done it sooner.

Glad to hear a good review on the cobra r setup. Right now I am looking at a cobra r kit with hawk pads.
Your problem is you need more brake mass. The stock 13" Brembo rotors and designed to haul the car down to a stop from 155 mph and you just over that line. Wilwood makes a very nice 14" x 1 1/4" 2 piece rotor that weighs the same as the stockers at 19 lbs. 6 pot calipers should grab a little better than a 4 piston version but in a drag racer that only needs to stop once I would opt for the lighter less expensive option.

That was my thinking as well. And, the car is only going to get faster. Eventually I want to compete in a 175mph class so I will need good braking force. Also, When looking at the Wilwood kits, I could not find any 14" kits that use the 4 pot caliper. All of the 14" kits showed to use the 6 pot.

SlowSVT

Established Member
You don't need to source the calipers from Wilwood, I have Baer 6R monoblocks with Wilwood discs. The hat you choose is what centers the disc with the caliper

........... 175 :uh oh: I think I would add a chute for back-up

Users who are viewing this thread