I need dress blues but can't get on base

only a gt

Established Member
I'm an IRR Marine and I need dress blues for a wedding, so I figured I could just run down to the New London sub base and get fitted and everything. They won't let me on base without a CAC card though, which I obviously don't have since I haven't been active duty for almost 4 years now. I'm thinking about just measuring myself and buying them online, but I'm a bit hesitant to do that since I'm not a tailor. Any ideas?

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Any surplus store should have a line up of blues, then u can get measured by a tailor at a dry cleaning place.
You dont have any buddies in the area that are prior military? Way to go devil.

only a gt

Established Member
Any surplus store should have a line up of blues, then u can get measured by a tailor at a dry cleaning place.
You dont have any buddies in the area that are prior military? Way to go devil.

Nope, not much military here in northeast CT. Just a bunch of liberal college kids :bash: Closest surplus stores with a decent selection are down by the base as well, about an hour from me.

You can't get on base....? Must be a strict base not able to just be a "visitor" for that day?

The guy at pass&id told me I couldn't get on without an ID which I thought was bogus because I should be able to get a vistor's pass, but he also pointed out I probably wouldn't be able to buy anything at the exchange without one. I'd forgotten about that part. Guess I'll get myself measured and take a shot ordering online. Thanks guys. :beer:

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Thats really stange, Ive known a few guys in the IRR, didnt matter the service, who had a CAC. But must a be strict ID checks, I would say go to a dry cleaning shop, have them measure you, and order online. Good luck to you, and hope it works out!

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
Go to a tailor and have them help you order one online. They probably won't have a problem if you get the tailoring done there.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
if you are military period you can get on any base... you need to contact someone there and get that figured out. it would be like us active army guys not letting army reserve on our posts because they are not active...

TaraFirma

Established Member
if you are military period you can get on any base... you need to contact someone there and get that figured out. it would be like us active army guys not letting army reserve on our posts because they are not active...
He isn't military. He's IRR. You don't have the privlages of active duty or reserve/gaurd soldiers. He shouldn't even wear the uniform.

sarge450

Established Member
You may try the Marine Shop at Quantico, VA. It is located in the town of Quantico and I would think would sell to a someone without a Active Duty ID card. We visited PI a few months ago on a visitors pass, went to the PX was allowed to buy souvenirs. But was not allowed to buy anything uniform related.

http://www.marineshop.net/

Users who are viewing this thread