I need advice on Enkei RPF1's over 13" Brembo's for Open Track Racing.

SVECobraR

Established Member
Hey Guys, I've been researching this for about three weeks and can't find very detailed information about the fitment of Enkei RPF1's and 13" Brembo's. I've found a good thread on corral which has a member running the 17x10's on all four corners with the front's sticking out a bit but nothing much about the 17x9 or 17x9.5. I plan on running 275/40/17 R-Comps on all four corners, unless someone can tell me to do otherwise, as I have heard that tire manufacturers are moving away from this size.

I don't want to run spacers, if possible, and would rather not deal with swapping out studs if i don't need to.

I have a 99 Cobra with 13" Brembo's and full Maximum Motorsports front suspension. I need something to clear all my suspension components and the brake calipers all while not getting in the way of my brake cooling ducts.

Any real world advice is appreciated as I would like to get a new set of rims this week if possible.

Also, what is everyone's opinion on the midcontinent mustang brake cooling kits? I have them on my car but can't seem to run air ducts without tearing them up.

Thanks in advance

Berj

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Studs on these cars are really easy to do if you have an impact or know someone that does. I did both sides of the rear in 30 min and not in a rush. I dont know about clearance but I would at least run the 9.5 as 275 on a 9 is almost bulging. For open track racing you actually want the tire to be a little bit on a stretch so a 10 is even better. If you do studs and then get hub centric ,slip on, spacers if it doesnt fit you will be solid. I read on American Muscle that you need 50mm clearance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the spokes. So if you can get someone to measure a wheel for you that will solve it.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Just barely. You could always take it somewhere and have them pressed in. I did this for the fronts before I knew how easy it was and they charged me $80

SVECobraR

Established Member
Okay so in putting a deposit on a set of rp1s on Monday. I just need to decide if I should go with a 17x9.5 or 17x10 all around. They both have a 18mm offset. I plan on running a 275/40/17 square setup.

I always here that for road racing it's always better to run the widest wheel setup your tires can safely fit all around. I.e., a square setup.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
Do you have coilovers (if not how much tire clearance right now)? Have you rolled your fenders(dont if you want to keep fender liners)?
18mm offset with an 10in wheel are going to have you poking the front tires out a little bit. Even a 9.5mm might a little. Stock wheel offset and width are 9 inch wide and 26mm offset. You can play around with this calculator.
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp

Just plug your new and old tire sizes in and will compare. Pick what you are comfortable with. I would also look at tire selection. Especially used tires for track use. I believe 275 is more commonly found.

Im running 18x10 with 15mm offset and i love it. Honestly with 2.5-3 degrees camber it will sit nice inside there. So i would go 17x10 but thats me...
Definitely check out the calculator and i can post pictures of my how wheels fit if you want

SVECobraR

Established Member
I run the complete mm front suspension setup. K member , coil overs and every piece they make. The only rubbing issues I have right now is the tire hitting the top part of the wheel well, the fender liner, on the drivers side under hard turns and braking.

My fenders aren't rolled and I don't really want to roll them. I decided to run 17 over 18 as I thought tires would be cheaper and the smaller diameter would make the car a bit quicker. The main track next to my house reveals my lack of horse power so every little bit helps.

I really wanted Nt03 rims bUT they were about 4 lbs heavier and every little bit does matter matter when you only make 325rwhp.

I don't mind the rims sticking out, as I'm a function over form guy but I'd rather it not shoot up shit on my car and I'd like it to be correct. I don't want to put 10" rims just to say I have it. If it doesn't help and put my suspension out of balance then I don't want them.

As of right now I've ordered 17x9.5 but I might still go for 17x10 or, if you guys know which 18" rims will fit, right offset I might switch.

Svtmustang01

Established Member
The 17x9.5 should fit nice. The 10 inch wide wheel is a really nice fit for a 285 tire. The 9.5 will be really nice with a 275. A lot of it has to do with what tires you end up running also. Tire manufactures tires vary for each size, just like shoes, sometimes they run small sometimes they run big.
I honestly wouldnt go with 18 inch wheels unless you are expecting to be switching to a big brake kit.
I think the 9.5 was the right choice for what you want to do.

SVECobraR

Established Member
I do run cobra r brembos but I also don't have my car lowered much. I bought the coil overs more for function than to lower the car excessively. I plan on running toyo ra1s as I have a set right now and then hopefully move up to some full racing scrubs.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Also, what is everyone's opinion on the midcontinent mustang brake cooling kits? I have them on my car but can't seem to run air ducts without tearing them up.

Thanks in advance

Berj

Double check your routing and don't be afraid to add zip ties to the tie rod if needed.

I had 4" ducting on my race car and it rubbed some, but I reinforced those areas with some gorilla tape. It would scuff the tape but wouldn't wear through. If it rubs a hole through then the routing needs tweeked.

If you need more help or have any questions please pm me.

Anthony

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I've seen Enkeis break,, fact is, I've seen them all break, but CCW wheels break the least and I've never had one sideline the car, and we really abuse our wheels.

qFrE6hnl.jpg

SeikenFreak

2 Scoops
Established Member
Interested in knowing about this as well.

Looking to maybe do Cobra R brakes.

Thinking about what I could do for a square setup on next set of wheels. Looked at RPF1s, had them on my STI. Id also probably like to stick with 17x9 or 9.5 and not sure if it'd clear.

Would love to know how this goes.

SVECobraR

Established Member
Well five years later I got around to doing the wheel studs and installing the Enkei's. Unfortunately, I forgot what I had bought the 39/64" drill bit for and I didn't rheem the front hubs and I ended up messing them up. I bought a new set of timken's, rheemed them, and installed the new studs. I also did a lot of maintenance on her as she's sat for the last five years.

Unfortunately the Enkei's don't clear the Brembo calipers with stock backspacing, that's probably why I bought the extended wheel studs. Maximum motorsports has been really helpful with trying different fitments and we've agreed that 0.75" spacer is what's best for my setup (the wheel kept hitting my passenger side strut with anything less than 0.6" spacer and I run -2.2 camber).

Now I need to run some spacers and hub adapters. As much as I want to support MM, which i have plenty in the past, I feel like $120 for two spacers is really expensive. I've found a few on ebay and other websites for $50 a pair and I'm wondering if there is really any difference in hubcentric spacers that don't have stud built in. MM area an aluminum alloy and most of the other vendors advertise theirs as T6 aluminum.

I'm not even sure if these are going to fit correctly as MM says i'll have to run -3 degree camber to clear my fenders which is really aggressive. I don't want to spend another $300 on wheel spacers and they not be the correct ones and I can't return them.

Any advice is appreciated.

NGO

Established Member
I run the complete mm front suspension setup. K member , coil overs and every piece they make. The only rubbing issues I have right now is the tire hitting the top part of the wheel well, the fender liner, on the drivers side under hard turns and braking.

My fenders aren't rolled and I don't really want to roll them. I decided to run 17 over 18 as I thought tires would be cheaper and the smaller diameter would make the car a bit quicker. The main track next to my house reveals my lack of horse power so every little bit helps.

I really wanted Nt03 rims bUT they were about 4 lbs heavier and every little bit does matter matter when you only make 325rwhp.

I don't mind the rims sticking out, as I'm a function over form guy but I'd rather it not shoot up shit on my car and I'd like it to be correct. I don't want to put 10" rims just to say I have it. If it doesn't help and put my suspension out of balance then I don't want them.

As of right now I've ordered 17x9.5 but I might still go for 17x10 or, if you guys know which 18" rims will fit, right offset I might switch.

I have the same rubbing issue on the drivers front hitting the fender inner liner, even messed up a harness that is in the area. I have H&R race springs, wih X2 ball joints, she sits low - I was thinking about a spring rubber. Did you ever solve your rubbing issue?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I have not yet put them on, but hopefully this weekend, but the CJ wheel spacers are a very nice piece for far less than the MM ones.

I'll be doing CC plates at the same time and shooting for -3 to -3.5 degrees of camber on 275/40s much like your car, although my wheels are 17x9.

98 Cobra.

I'll let you know how it goes, I'm hoping it fits without issue.

jbuenavides

Established Member
I have not yet put them on, but hopefully this weekend, but the CJ wheel spacers are a very nice piece for far less than the MM ones.

I'll be doing CC plates at the same time and shooting for -3 to -3.5 degrees of camber on 275/40s much like your car, although my wheels are 17x9.

98 Cobra.

I'll let you know how it goes, I'm hoping it fits without issue.

Make sure to share a photo once you install it on your car.

I was supposed to get this model on 4WheelOnline, but I decided to stick to my OEM wheels for the time being as they are still of good quality.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread