I may be buying a 93 cobra

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I got a call tonight from a friend that has come across a 93 red cobra that has been sitting in a garage for 10 years or more and has not been started since it was parked . It ran when parked and is supposed to be in good condition with unknown miles. Apparently the owner was an older guy that has since passed away. Do you guys know what these cars are roughly worth. I assume it will need some work to get it running. It also has some white stripes painted on it. I am supposed to be able to go check it out soon so I will get more info on it eventually. What are your thoughts on this with the info I have so far as far as what it could be worth and bought for. The estate wants to sell to split the money with the family

Last edited:

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Value is continually increasing on them. It's all about condition, miles, mods, etc. without knowing any of that it's hard to give a price. The stripes hurt it some, but if that's the only mod and it's low miles it's worth a pretty penny.

Sitting that long, the gas tank will need to be drained for sure. And oil changed. Other than that, it will likely be ok other than tires.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I got a photo sent to me today. Looks clean, has 128,000 miles on it and is red with no stripes. I am not sure if modded or not but I would bet if any will be exhaust and bolt on stuff only. Looks pretty original from the photos I received. I am hoping to set up an inspection later this week.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
well dammit. Found out it has a salvaged title and the Clear Coat is peeling on the rear bumper and hatch, which I am assuming is where it was hit before to earn the branded title. I am going to still check it out just because I am curious to see it. I am thinking it's probably not worth more than $3500 or $4500 with 128k and salvage title. Too bad on the Title that is for sure.

Franco

Established Member
Even with a salvaged title if you pick it up cheap enough it might be worth it. Everyone needs a foxbody next to thier cobra.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Even with a salvaged title if you pick it up cheap enough it might be worth it. Everyone needs a foxbody next to thier cobra.

The person that owns it was hoping for a decent amount but then she found out the car had a salvaged title. It was her sons car and her husband bought it from the son in 2004 when he got strung out on drugs. I think her late husband bought it and paid the loan off just to help out their son and did not care it had a bad title. After talking about it, I think she has realized its not worth what she wanted it to be worth. I am going to check it out this week. I am in the insurance claims business and have been in and out of body shops for 15 years so I know what to look for on the prior damage. If the repairs were decent and the price is right, I will still snatch it up. I figure if I get it cheap enough and run into problems with it, I can alway part it out and recoup my money back. I did find out today that the car started up over the weekend and seems to run fine. It also has headers, full exhaust and a cheap cold air kit. I will let you guys know what happens. The lady's husband just passed away a month ago and my friend's wife is hanging out with her tonight. I am sure they will discuss the car and will let me know when I can check it out. we will see what happens. and I agree a fox body cobra would compliment my 03 and the wife's 16 GT/CS.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
I checked out the cobra today. Ill post photos when I get home. It is rougher than I initially thought. All the clear coat is peeling off. I can see where the car was hit on the right front corner. The core support should have been replaced but appears to have been repaired. I noticed all the panels have been repaired/refinished and the paint quality is of the average total loss rebuilder grade, which is not very good. The shop that did the repairs did not remove any of the glass, moldings or anything before they painted so you can see tape lines around everything.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
ok here are the photos

1. front view
IMG_2881.jpg

2. right fender clear peeling. there are 4 separate cracks in the body filler. can't really see in this photo
IMG_2882.jpg

3.right side view-can't really see any issues in this photo
IMG_2883.jpg

4. left fender, clear peeling in multiple areas
IMG_2885.jpg

5. interior view
IMG_2887.jpg

6. driver seat wear
IMG_2889.jpg

7. interior view
IMG_2890.jpg

let me know what you guys think

WillyB93

Established Member
Did you confirm with the door tag that it is supposed to be a black interior car?
I would pay $3500 tops. The photos make it look cleaner than it is.

It's worth that or more in parts even though it has already been branded with the title and damage.

Users who are viewing this thread