I made the 14" Brembos fit in the stock 18" wheels

Would you go third party for $750 less or buy the real Brembo package?

• Third party

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Brembo

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Skip them both, drop $$$$ on 2-piece setup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tparenti

Established Member
So after a bit of back and forth on how best to upgrade the breaks on my non-PP 14' GT I was shopping around and decided the brembo package sold everywhere for $1100 was a bit too much. So I decided to try and recreate my own version of the Brembo package. Like most of us im sure, price was a big factor. Im sure there will be plenty of people who wouldnt go this route in 1000 years and thats ok.

I went with "re-manufactured" parts to do this on the cheap. When I received the parts i was pretty sure they are brand new parts and not re-manufactured at all. I've had re-man parts before, these were too perfect... no complaints obviously.

Parts Needed:
(2) x Calipers
Driver - Cardone 18-5128
Passenger - Cardone 18-5129​
(2) x Rotors - Callahan CK011164
(1) x Break pad set - Z23-1001

General rough pricing
Calipers - $100 each
Rotors - $50 each
Pads - $25 each
Total - $350

These are just the parts I went with, im sure you can find other manufactures.

Here are some pictures -

Stock setup for reference
9ZlYJIS.jpg

Stock Rotors with big calipers
cwgO8e5.jpg

Painted and cooked the calipers
dhUuADD.jpg

Looking pretty good I guess
xOWO60V.jpg

mmmm Largest breaks Ive ever had myself
qACTgvL.jpg

Installed ARP 3" Studs
7AkNJwC.jpg

Finito - went with the Ford racing open lug nuts because after all that work I want to see the studs
eoeSqKY.jpg

I dont have a picture of them but I have 3/4" spacers in the front also to make the wheel clear the caliper, I believe there is enough clearance to use 1/2" instead.

Cost savings:
Normal Brembo package - $1100
This nonsense - $350​

The normal package does come with fluid lines, heat shields and paint that doesnt flake off

Another factor that comes into play is the wheels, for the proper offset you would need to step up to a 19" set. That obviously means 19" wheels + tires $$$$. I already have 8 good 18" tires for my car so I was trying to keep using my 18" wheels for now. The studs and then spacers allowed me to do that.

So in conclusion I would absolutely do this again in a heart beat. Very very cost effective. The performance is down right amazing now, compared to the stock undersized, borderline dangerous ones these are a 10/10. They really shouldnt sell the GT with the small breaks for how much power it has. I have over 5000 miles on the setup now, the performance is just as good as day 1 so far. There is only one down side so far and its the appearance, the paint has already peeled off despite the high temp paint and baking as per the directions. Ill probably take them back off at some point and have them properly power coated.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Nice, I did the brembo upgrade on my base GT and had to use 1" spacers from eibach to get the stock wheels to fit. I paid a lot more than you but it is worth it no matter which route you go. Like you I felt the stock brakes left a lot to be desired. Eventually I found someone selling brembo wheels and tires so I bought them and got rid of the stock 18x8's so I didn't have to deal with spacers.

vortecd

Established Member
I ordered my Mustang without the Brembo's since I liked the base wheels better. I have found in the past the brake pads make a huge difference and the Brembo's really are not needed unless you track your car as in road coarse. My car stops way better at the drag strip by just changing to Hawk pads

vortecd

Established Member
The write up was very good and I'm sure others will do it!

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
You could have gotten genuine Brembo calipers from online Ford parts sources such as Tasca parts for about $250 each.

Yes, about $300 more in total than the Cardone but you would have better piece of mind and you wouldn't even have to paint them.

The Cardone knock-offs may be ok for the street but I would not recommend you use them for track days on a road course.

Users who are viewing this thread