I m on the fence! help 04 cobra or 11 gt

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Dru,

I'm the original owner of my 03 Cobra. I've also owned 2 S-197 cars (2005 v6 coupe, and a 2006 Gt convertible) and I must admit these cars are far superior compared to the 99-04 platform, not comparing the power of the 03/04 Cobras.

I can only imagine how much better the 2011 car is over the 05-09!

If I were you I would definately get a 2011 Mustang.

A great car starts with the chassis.
Termi's are a hell of a car for the money but the 1979 Fairmont chassis
was and is its achilles....

I wish the IRS would return in the 197 platform :rockon:

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
Drive both and see which one you like better. I have owned an s197 and there is no comparison to the sn95 platform. You just have to decide what you like. I bought my 2006 GT for 24.3k on A Plan. It got totaled out just over 3 years later and I received 21k for it. Driving a car for $1,000 a year was a damn good deal and I didn't have to do any maintenance to the car as it was new! The GTs just were not losing value like the old cars did. They are built SO much better now that they retain their value.

That being said, my A Plan build this go-around would be about $32k. That is a LOT more than the 24K I paid in 2006! ...and I don't see a reason for our economy to get better any time soon, so keep that in mind also.

I do like my Cobra emblems. :)

powersof12

Established Member
The items that finally allowed me to decide were the 6 speed Auto and solid 8.8 rear both of which I wish were available in the Terminator. I didn't like the T-56 nor the IRS. The Terminator exterior design looks much better then the new 5.0L but the interior of the new cars is much better then the Terminators. I think the Terminator should have came with a tool box because it was designed and built for potential. The new 5.0L is designed and built for out of the box use. However, this time I want a 5.0L Sleeper Automatic with 5-6 PSI Whipple/TVS/Twin Screw and that is all. Both are great choices.

SpectorV

Established Member
If I was currently in the market for a Mustang, I would rather spend 25k for an 03 cobra in great shape than 35k for a 2011 GT with the stuff I would want~ thats just me. Both are great cars but... just what I would want.

It is very tempting... but I would want more than the power the 2011 GT offers and its far to expensive and mod heavy to get it :(

One other thing is the rarity factor, there will be TONS of 2011 GT's and 2012s etc EVERYWHERE just like Shelbys are getting to be. At least with the 03 you know there are only about 15k of them left out there.

Last edited:

04SCRMINYLWVERT

Established Member
If I was currently in the market for a Mustang, I would rather spend 25k for an 03 cobra in great shape than 35k for a 2011 GT with the stuff I would want~ thats just me. Both are great cars but... just what I would want.

It is very tempting... but I would want more than the power the 2011 GT offers and its far to expensive and mod heavy to get it :(

One other thing is the rarity factor, there will be TONS of 2011 GT's and 2012s etc EVERYWHERE just like Shelbys are getting to be. At least with the 03 you know there are only about 15k of them left out there.

I would agree with this, but seeing as how the 2011GT will be made by the truck loads, in about a year once they hit used markets and start selling for low 20's they are going to crush the Cobra's Value.

ttbit

Long Time Mustang Fan
Established Member
I would agree with this, but seeing as how the 2011GT will be made by the truck loads, in about a year once they hit used markets and start selling for low 20's they are going to crush the Cobra's Value.

It's going to be a few years before they drop that low. Like I mentioned earlier, my 2006 was worth 21K in May 2009 and I paid $24k new (window sticker was $27,500). The new GT is much more than that and I doubt it will drop at a higher %.

4.6snakedoc

Established Member
I just saw an add from a dealer in Raleigh , NC on Craigslist for a 2011 Mustang black vert for $46,250.00 . Granted it is probably top of the line but 46K. I could buy 2 terminator for that. 1 low mileage to leave in the garage and 1 for a DD. Some of the comments are funny and a lot are from people who don't or have never owned a terminator. I LOL at the comment from the Lightning owner. You paid what for a pick-up truck that only comes in an automatic!

The terminators are a limited production number car and not for everyone. IMO If you are on the fence then go buy a 2011. You may not be worthy of an 03/04 or may not be able to handle one!

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
More Mod horsepower- Less Money- Rarity = Terminator

Newness- Comfort- Gadgets and Gizmos- Driving the same car as a 47 year old woman = GT

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I just saw an add from a dealer in Raleigh , NC on Craigslist for a 2011 Mustang black vert for $46,250.00 . Granted it is probably top of the line but 46K. I could buy 2 terminator for that. 1 low mileage to leave in the garage and 1 for a DD. Some of the comments are funny and a lot are from people who don't or have never owned a terminator. I LOL at the comment from the Lightning owner. You paid what for a pick-up truck that only comes in an automatic!

The terminators are a limited production number car and not for everyone. IMO If you are on the fence then go buy a 2011. You may not be worthy of an 03/04 or may not be able to handle one!

You can get a 2011 coupe for under MSRP at the dealership by my house...If you get a base model with no options it would be under $29,000.

A fully loaded Vert is obviously going to be ridiculously expensive. There are so many available options on the new GT, if you want your car to be fully loaded like a BMW you're going to have to pay for it!

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
I too have this problem. I will have about twenty grand by the end of the year and can't decide what to do. Buy an 03/04 Cobra out right or put it down on a new 5.0. I have had a 98gt, 02gt and a 99 cobra but it's been about 6 years since I had a mustang. I fell in love with the 03/04 cobras back then and always thought it was my dream ride because it was supercharged and never had that kind of power before.

I think if you want a DD go with the 5.0.
If you want a garaged beauty 03/04 Cobra all the way.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
I think if you want a DD go with the 5.0.
If you want a garaged beauty 03/04 Cobra all the way.

I think this about sums it up. I'm in pretty much the same boat - sold my cobra back on '05, and lately I've been thinking of getting back into a mustang. The '11 GT gives me everything I dreamed of having with my cobra (big-bore 5.0 DOHC, 6-speed, etc) and I won't be thinking about the mileage I'm putting on it as I drive it to work every day.

AWESOMO 4000

Established Member
You're going to die anyway and can't take it with you. Drive what makes you happy and what you can afford. There is nothing fun about being car slave or having to shelve plans because you had to make a car payment on a machine that drives you back and forth to work and Taco Bell. New car = new car insurance blues. Where I live, you are treated like a criminal for driving anything not older than 3 years, or having more than 200hp.

That being said, I'd get a 2011GT. The 03/04 Cobras are wonderful cars and icons in our Mustang world, (still kicking myself for not buying the black 03 I could have new for $28k in 2003...) but like another poster said - they have those Fairmont roots and are soon going to be 8-9 year old cars with a seating position like a John Deere, heavy clutch, etc. Not bashing, but the newer cars are simply built with better materials.

Hah, better plastic...there's a compelling argument. :smmon:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Had a 2004 Cobra, got it up over 600 RWHP. Loved it.

Love the 2011 much more. It looks better, it DRIVES 100% better, it handles better, and it sounds better.

People are already putting the GT's into the 11's with OR/X, cat-backs, CAI and a good tune on DR's. And I mean DEEP into the 11's, like 11.6's.

The interior of the 2004 Cobra quite frankly was crap.

The 2011's look meaner and are actually quite nice inside.

Its a good all around car, and people claiming that the engine isn't well built... well they haven't been paying much attention to what Ford has done with the Coyote at all...

90goldtsiawd

here 4 da laffs & cruelty
Established Member
For me, this isn't even a comparison due to the Cobra having a built engine from the factory. The 2011 is going to cost a lot more to keep up with the Cobra once you get past bolt-on upgrades. IMO the Cobra looks a million times better than the 2011 too.

99cobraUgotbit

GT500
Established Member
To make a good point. You need alot of money to put down for a cobra due to high interest rates and hard to get a nice loan for them.

For instance. I almost bought an 03 Cobra with 3,XXX miles and they wanted 27000 for it. The finance company wanted 6000 down with a 525 dollar a month payment. That's high for a 7 year old car. ( btw I want a low milage Cobra)

So as afar as the 11's go. What 550-650 depending on how much you put down.

With the economy, put down as much money as you can or don't buy one at all.

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member
Wow, I cannot believe people like the SN-95 (New Edge whatever, its still a SN-95) over the S-197. Especially the 2010+'s

The SN-95 stuff just looks OLD.

Whats even more telling is the fit of the 2011 vs. the 2004. The body work, panel gaps, paint, plastics and fitting is 100% better than it was in 2004. It was so bad on my Cobra Ford had to repaint my car from the mirrors forward, replace the trunk and repaint the entire passenger door.

The 2011 Mustang looks hella meaner than even the Terminator.

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Wow, I cannot believe people like the SN-95 (New Edge whatever, its still a SN-95) over the S-197. Especially the 2010+'s

The SN-95 stuff just looks OLD.

Whats even more telling is the fit of the 2011 vs. the 2004. The body work, panel gaps, paint, plastics and fitting is 100% better than it was in 2004. It was so bad on my Cobra Ford had to repaint my car from the mirrors forward, replace the trunk and repaint the entire passenger door.

The 2011 Mustang looks hella meaner than even the Terminator.

werd... Its all about the chassis :rockon:

Evil_Merlin

Got VTEC?
Established Member

Of course you can, but neither has a warrantee on it.

I use my Terminator as a daily drive and amassed a whole crapload of miles on it. The 2011 GT is a MUCH better driver. By far.

Yeah I put a lot of money in the Termy, but when it comes right down to it, the 2011 GT is a better car.

Termys WERE a limited production car (that really wasn't all that limited to be honest).

If you can handle a 2011 GT, you can handle a Terminator... well except for the wheel hop.

Users who are viewing this thread