I m on the fence! help 04 cobra or 11 gt

lx347cid

Established Member
go with the 03-04.

Its a Cobra for gosh sakes!!!!
For the price of a new 2011 you could have a bad ass whipple cobra pushing over 600 hp and have money to spare.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
go with the 03-04.

Its a Cobra for gosh sakes!!!!
For the price of a new 2011 you could have a bad ass whipple cobra pushing over 600 hp and have money to spare.

Power isn't everything. The 2011 GT is a more well-rounded car, and for a daily driver, I'd take it over a 600whp, 8-year-old car hands down.

kingnut

Established Member
Love some of the comments in here :dw: . I just picked up my 03 vert for 18.5k 47,xxx on the clock.I am the third owner, Has some mods but nothing that I wouldn't have done later on down the road. As for the 11 GT's I will take my 03 any day of the week the rear end on the 11's looks like ass. Its a run of the mill GT (yes making great power but its still just a GT) and mod for mod the Cobra is going to respond much better.

:lol: its a GT that comes stock all engine with the same amount of WHP as your cobra did with a blower. sure saying i have a cobra sounds cooler than a GT mustang. :dw:

lx347cid

Established Member
The cobra for me looks alot better.
The new mustang back end is butt ugly.
Until they chanege it I wont be buying one.

SHOLANDO

Established Member
If you keep your cars a long time and want a piece of Mustang (Cobra) history then I'd say find a barely used 2003/2004 Cobra!! The cars are incredible, and as you said, are getting harder to find in stock/good condition.

Wait a couple of model years and pick up a used 2011 GT at bargin prices.

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
...Its a run of the mill GT (yes making great power but its still just a GT) and mod for mod the Cobra is going to respond much better.

May not be THAT much of a difference for basic bolt-ons (excluding a blower swap on the terminator). In another thread, Evolution Performance netted a 40rwhp increase from just a filter, x-pipe and cat-back and a SCT tune. No headers, no intake, no pulleys. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that essentially what you would expect from the same mods on a terminator? Looks like there's still alot to be had from these engines.

dru440

Established Member
you are right

May not be THAT much of a difference for basic bolt-ons (excluding a blower swap on the terminator). In another thread, Evolution Performance netted a 40rwhp increase from just a filter, x-pipe and cat-back and a SCT tune. No headers, no intake, no pulleys. Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't that essentially what you would expect from the same mods on a terminator? Looks like there's still alot to be had from these engines.

with 11 to 1 compression ratio and more displacement, dual vvt-i THEY ARE LEAVING ALOT ON THE TABLE, im no engineer but ive seen the cars with this technology and that high of a compression ratio really benefit from bolt ons and especially tuning. the newer evos have this type of technology.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
LOL @ the butt hurt cobra guys. reality check: NO MATTER WHAT PLASTIC BADGE IS ON THE CAR, IT'S STILL A MUSTANG!

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member

On my 03 Cobra with Magnaflow catback, JLT RAI, 2.91 upper and Xcal I went from 365 to 475 rwhp........ Just Sayin...... I'm not sure what JUST a drop in filter with catback and tune would have done- BUT you aren't going to pick up 110 rwhp on an N/A car for under 2k. - not unless you are spraying. THAT my friends is STILL why the Terminator is the best bang for the buck car around for under $25k in decent condition.

Playing Devils advocate though I've already seen used 05 GT500's go for mid 20's....AND the 11GT while being "just a Stang" like the Cobra has a much improved chassis and interior. Can you imagine what a forged rotating assy and a Hellion kit would do?:rockon:.... yeah that's about $10k if you do the work yourself but you're talking at least 750+ rwhp.......Just Sayin

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
2.91 upper

And I believe I've found the biggest part of your 110 hp gain. I don't think anyone will deny the amount of power to be had by increasing boost. All I'm saying is, if left at stock boost levels (no aftermarket supercharger, upper or lower pullies), basic bolt-ons may add a similar amount of hp to the GT as they did the terminator. ...Just sayin. :beer:

xenodragon

Established Member
Personnally I wouldnt sell my Cobra for anything less than a 2011 gt500.

And yes the dealers are offering 20k for my car 36k miles, 1 owner, no accidents, perfect inside out. I am seriously considering trading it for the 2011, if I can order one the way I want.

But for the 2011 GT? I wouldnt make the trade.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
And I believe I've found the biggest part of your 110 hp gain. I don't think anyone will deny the amount of power to be had by increasing boost. All I'm saying is, if left at stock boost levels (no aftermarket supercharger, upper or lower pullies), basic bolt-ons may add a similar amount of hp to the GT as they did the terminator. ...Just sayin. :beer:

The amt of Money it takes to get similar HP gains out of a N/A motor is MORE.... and there is NO debate about that....that's the point I am making.

IOW- you take both vehicle's and give each $2500-..... unless you spray the 11 GT it will NOT make more RWHP than the Terminator. /end of argument. ..... now you can def make the argument about which one if more comfortable, has a better chassis etc. but when it comes down to pure HP/TQ the Termy will wipe the floor with the 11 GT until you swap the internals and add FI etc on the GT.

Last edited:

Wylde Horses

4.56 gear advocate
Established Member
The amt of Money it takes to get similar HP gains out of a N/A motor is MORE.... and there is NO debate about that....that's the point I am making.

IOW- you take both vehicle's and give each $2500-..... unless you spray the 11 GT it will NOT make more RWHP than the Terminator. /end of argument. ..... now you can def make the argument about which one if more comfortable, has a better chassis etc. but when it comes down to pure HP/TQ the Termy will wipe the floor with the 11 GT until you swap the internals and add FI etc on the GT.

...which I never argued from the start. All I said was, it looks as though you'd get roughly the same hp gain from an aftermarket exhaust or an intake on both cars, all else being equal. In other words, there's still alot of potential for the coyote. Now, after the basic bolt-ons, you'll have to spend alot more on the coyote to get the same hp that's possible in the terminator with pulleys, twin-screws, etc. - that's a given. But if you are looking for a solid 450rwhp, that can easily be achieved by the terminator and PROBABLY the '11 GT with the basic bolt-ons and a tune. In fact, seeing as the GT will be mass produced, the parts will be a whole lot cheaper than for the 7/8 year old Cobra.

BleedBlueOval

Established Member
i'm not an expert but just have questions for those saying 600 hp with mods for an 03/04... what kind of fuel will you have to buy to achieve these numbers and what kind of fuel do you have to buy for a bolt on GT? i'd have more confidence ragging on a N/A GT vs a blown 03/04 600 hp snake.

ergonomics is a huge issue many 04 snake homers will blindly ignore for the sake of pride. well guess what, theres something that will make similar numbers without having to worry keeping it mint. seeing as how cobras were in limited numbers, theres always this mindset of "i cant drive it much because its rare and i want to keep its resale value as high as possible." no issue with this car, drive it to your hearts content. :burnout:

TERMIN8TR

Established Member
Dru,

I'm the original owner of my 03 Cobra. I've also owned 2 S-197 cars (2005 v6 coupe, and a 2006 Gt convertible) and I must admit these cars are far superior compared to the 99-04 platform, not comparing the power of the 03/04 Cobras.

I can only imagine how much better the 2011 car is over the 05-09!

If I were you I would definately get a 2011 Mustang.

WeeZee

Member of NMRA
Established Member
If u want huge power go Terminator, proven 1000 hp from HP twin Turbo Kit
If u want to pay $600+ a month car payments and have a new 5.0 go 2011 GT

If u just want a 11 sec car but u want a new 5.0 get the Base model 2011 GT with 3.73 gears & add drag radials, LCA, UCA, Bassani X-pipe and a Evolution (CAI) JLT package with tune when avaliable

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Depends...

The Cobra has way more potential as far as straight-line raw acceleration goes. Swap to an SRA, posi race ported blower, mid-pipe/cb, intake, dyno tune = 520rwhp+ in a 3500lb car. You aren't going to do that in a new Mustang GT.

The new Mustang is a way nicer car. Better handling, better braking, better chassis, nicer interior and more refined. Stock for the stock they're very close, with the new Mustang being easier to drive to it limit.

Users who are viewing this thread