I like everything about my car EXCEPT....

dezracer

The F*&^%ing clunck when shifting and getting on and off the gas.. Yea I know you can "try" to drive around it so to speak but still its a bitch sometimes. I even had the tranny rebuilt for another issue and told them to keep toleranses tight but its still there bad as ever. When poeple are in my car they loook over almost evertime I shift like WTF was that. Why so much free-play in these bad boys. :fm:

Root1022

100 Shot, 1 Kill
Established Member
You tranny is clunking or the rear end?

I've had ALOT of tranny problems but never heard a clunk comming from my T56?

Last edited:

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
I think you're refering to the dreaded CLUNK issue; I have it in mine as well. It comes and goes; usually non-existant at times when I release the clutch pedal smoothly between shifts.

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
its the irs causing it ... i hated mine so much and i went sra ... clunk is now gone!

i had so many ppl ask "what is that sound" or "is your exhaust dragging or something" ... talk about take excitement out of a car quick

i dont think there is much hope for you getting rid of it and keeping the irs... good luck!

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
What ever you do don't use the "search" function to help resolve this problem. The result would be akin to opening a bulging overheard luggage compartment.

cotchnobra

Established Member
I know you dont want to hear this solution but hear it is....Just turn up the radio. Ive had many foxbody mustangs and if you didn't want to deal all the creaks, squeeks, rattles and clunks that what you do. My cobra does it too so but I know its not a problem so I crank the radio, mash the gas and listen to the sweet sweet whine of the S/C. sorry for the lame solution but hey its a mustang not a European snob car.

CamdZ06

Established Member
The F*&^%ing clunck when shifting and getting on and off the gas.. Yea I know you can "try" to drive around it so to speak but still its a bitch sometimes. I even had the tranny rebuilt for another issue and told them to keep toleranses tight but its still there bad as ever. When poeple are in my car they loook over almost evertime I shift like WTF was that. Why so much free-play in these bad boys. :fm:

Man, i just bought my Cobra and it did the exact same thing! In my case it was the Differential Bushings, etc. Ended up breaking lots of parts in my IRS.. So i said screw it with that IRS BS, Doing a complete Built Solid Axle now.. No more clunk, stronger, etc from what i have heard. I dont care to sacrifice a bit of ride quality. Its a Mustang not a Lexus...

SlowSVT

Established Member
You "muffied-up" a few thing on your post so I fixed it for you.

Man, i just bought my Cobra and it did the exact same thing! In my case it was the Differential Bushings, etc. Ended up breaking lots of parts in my IRS.. So i said screw it with that IRS BS, Doing a complete Built Solid Axle now.. No more clunk, stronger, etc from what i have heard. I dont care about sacrifice handling or a bit of ride quality. It will be a Mustang, not a Cobra...

03Snake04

! Sonic Boom !
Established Member
I know you dont want to hear this solution but hear it is....Just turn up the radio. Ive had many foxbody mustangs and if you didn't want to deal all the creaks, squeeks, rattles and clunks that what you do. My cobra does it too so but I know its not a problem so I crank the radio, mash the gas and listen to the sweet sweet whine of the S/C. sorry for the lame solution but hey its a mustang not a European snob car.

wont help ... we like to hear the exhaust so the radio hurts that ... and even tho you wont "hear" the clunk you can still "feel" it

i couldnt stand it!!

SlowSVT

Established Member
wont help ... we like to hear the exhaust so the radio hurts that ... and even tho you wont "hear" the clunk you can still "feel" it

i couldnt stand it!!

You mean to say you ditched the IRS for a stick axle just because the didn't like the clunk? :dw:

Mine only did it when I was going from forward to reverse and back. On the road it never clunked. Yea, it sounds cheezey but it very "fixible" and you get to keep the better rear suspension :nonono:

I agree on the exhaust thing. An angry Mustang sounds way better then an Alpine :mj:

CamdZ06

Established Member
You "muffied-up" a few thing on your post so I fixed it for you.

So what you're saying is that the reason you bought your Cobra was because you knew it had a Independent Rear Suspension?? Look, before buying my Cobra i didnt know much about them, but if i could choose whether it have an IRS or an SRA from the factory, i would def choose an SRA! I've seen too many people at the tracks break their IRS.. : (.. Including me!

I actually bought my Cobra because of the factory forged internal engine, looks, interior, exhaust sound, easy modding vehicle, etc.

I could care less about an IRS.. I've rode in my friends SRA Cobra and i dont really see a difference. No matter what a Mustang will always ride like a Mustang.. I didnt buy this Cobra for long vacations/drives, i bought it to "Drive" it..

BO TY KLR

Established Member
Back to the "clunk" issue. When my car was new it had the clunk as soon as ease on and off the gas while driving. Service dept looked at it then and gave me the "it's normal" irs noises. So i delt with it. Anyway i switched to stonger halfshafts in "05" and never noticed the clunk again. In my case the noise had to be coming from the slop in stock halfshafts c/v's. Probably the outers since i kept the stock inners on new shafts. Just a thought

cbr repsol

Established Member
Funny.. my car does not have these issues, i have 64 k on her . A lot of people on here that i have worked on their cobras ,have said my car rides way better than theirs with half the miles. I guess its hit and miss on some of these cars.

SlowSVT

Established Member
So what you're saying is that the reason you bought your Cobra was because you knew it had a Independent Rear Suspension?? Look, before buying my Cobra i didnt know much about them, but if i could choose whether it have an IRS or an SRA from the factory, i would def choose an SRA! I've seen too many people at the tracks break their IRS.. : (.. Including me!

I actually bought my Cobra because of the factory forged internal engine, looks, interior, exhaust sound, easy modding vehicle, etc.

I could care less about an IRS.. I've rode in my friends SRA Cobra and i dont really see a difference. No matter what a Mustang will always ride like a Mustang.. I didnt buy this Cobra for long vacations/drives, i bought it to "Drive" it..

The Cobra was not developed at a drag racer. It's was developed to compete with Corvettes and M3's (not that it does but the foundations is there). A car that does more then go in a straight line is important to me. Stomping on the gas just to hurry off the line gets a bit :bored: after a while which I guess that is not the case for everybody.

The fact you didn't notice the difference over an SRA is not surprising. If you don't believe me, why don't you post this in the Cobra R section and see what their reaction will be?

:pop:

CamdZ06

Established Member
The Cobra was not developed at a drag racer. It's was developed to compete with Corvettes and M3's (not that it does but the foundations is there). A car that does more then go in a straight line is important to me. Stomping on the gas just to hurry off the line gets a bit :bored: after a while which I guess that is not the case for everybody.

The fact you didn't notice the difference over an SRA is not surprising. If you don't believe me, why don't you post this in the Cobra R section and see what their reaction will be?

:pop:

Well obviously the Cobra does not even come near a stock C6 Z51 or even a BMW M3 on a track and especially in the nurburgring ( I've had both of those cars). And i understand what you mean, Yes the IRS will always handle better but you make it seem like an SRA is going to make the Cobra handle like an F350, its not!! I've seen Cobras with SRA's still lap good times on tracks so obviously they can still turn with a Solid Axle.

Like people have said here before, this issue will get debated forever.. But at least im willing to say that i KNOW i will sacrifice a little handling and a little ride comfort by going SRA. But cmon i bet with my Tokiko Shocks, H&R Springs, Steeda Sway Bar, etc, my car will still handle ok..

Jefe

Established Member
Why has no one posted the best fix so far? Replace the 12mm front IRS subframe bolts with grade 8 - 9/16" bolts.

From FullTiltBoogieRacing:

Q: "Why do I need the 9/16" bolts and where do they go?"

A: Your car came from the factory with a 12mm bolt holding the front portion of the subframe into the chassis. This attachment point has the capability of accepting a 14mm bolt or a 9/16" bolt. The 14mm bolts are insanely expensive from Ford and that is why I have substituted the 9/16" grade 8 bolt in it's place. This kit is all about getting the job done as economically as possible without sacrificing quality or integrity in any way shape or form.

I did this about a year ago and have only heard the clunk once and it was an awful shift on my part

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
After installing the front bolts mine still clunked.now installing bushing kit..will see what happens!

Users who are viewing this thread