I knew it would happen!

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
I scratched the shinny piece of plastic on the back of the trunk. Now what? It looks like what would be a "clear coat" scratch on normal paint. It is not horrible, and can live with it, but I would prefer to fix it.

Can we use abrasive polish or compound on it? Don't want to do anything that makes it worse.

On another front, does Ford sell these as parts? It appears to be screwed on from behind.

Thanks,

Scott

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
I am referring to the shinny area surrounding the GT500 round emblem on the trunk lid as seen from the back of the car.

Scott

zr1gerhardt

You can't outrun ugly!
Established Member
Did you check cjponyparts?

I will check tonight. I am on a road trip and as I approached the trunk, the zipper on the bag ran across it. I should have been more careful, but when on a trip and relaxing, one's mind tends to overlook the obvious things because it is on "vacation."

Scott

Zemedici

Established Member
I am referring to the shinny area surrounding the GT500 round emblem on the trunk lid as seen from the back of the car.

Scott

through Ford P/N DR3Z-63423A42-GA

it comes with that entire panel. And its rather costly($450)

I would suggest a polishing compound, as you've said.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
I am thinking about doing the faux cap delete. They have a panel out there thats flat without it.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
On another front, does Ford sell these as parts? It appears to be screwed on from behind.

Thanks,

Scott

I had the dealer replace that panel under warranty on my car due to an imperfection in the black. It is all one piece, as others have said.

rancid

Established Member
I might be removing mine soon and replacing with a piece that doesn't have the round emblem. If you are interested I might sell you mine but I would check with dealer under warranty before I shelled out any $.

Upheval

American Muscle Lover
Established Member
I got some thing of the same problem, dang dog jumped on the back of the car because the idiot cat jumped on the car. My fault for not garage it immediately like I usually do. I want to shoot the wife's cat but the dog is mine.:fm:

So now I have a scratches on the big shiny black piece, the left tail light and the left stripe on the bumper. I got the scratch warranty from Ford, I wonder if that will cover it?:idea:

What do you guys think?:shrug:

Otherwise I will bite the bullet and buy those parts if I have to. Lesson learned.

sorry ZR1 not trying to hijack your thread but if you got this warranty, it might help you as well.

Last edited:

Kapy

Established Member
I am thinking of picking up Carbon Fiber for each and every spot on the car that has plastic on it

Same here 662. I have contacted Seibon and all the parts are on back order. Don't know if they are legit or if guys like us with this car are putting that much demand out there for carbon bits.

It's not like it is a cheap date to replace all the hideous Ford plastic with carbon. I think I am up to about a $4,000 total to due front splitter, rear diffuser, hood vent and license plate backing plate. Crazy expensive.

The plastic on this car just pisses me off, Ford should have done a way better job with the trim on this car.

Last edited:

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Same here 662. I have contacted Seibon and all the parts are on back order. Don't know if they are legit or if guys like us with this car are putting that much demand out there for carbon bits.

It's not like it is a cheap date to replace all the hideous Ford plastic with carbon. I think I am up to about a $4,000 total to due front splitter, rear diffuser, hood vent and license plate backing plate. Crazy expensive.

The plastic on this car just pisses me off, Ford should have done a way better job with the trim on this car.

You are spot on, and that is why all this stuff will be eventually replaced. Plastic .....GROSS!

Users who are viewing this thread