I just ordered a 2023 Genesis G70 3.3T. I'm psyched!

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Burger makes the JB4 which is probably the most popular and safest piggyback for the Genesis/Hyundai/Kia turbo platforms. All you need is a set of colder plugs and the piggyback for less than $700 on pump 93 you can get another 60+ HP easily. Add meth and/or E85 mix and you can turn it up even further.

Also, there are tuners (Lozic, LAP3, etc) that you can either buy a spare ECU/TCU with a tune or send your OE one to have flashed. I believe the fastest Stinger on stock turbos is in the mid/upper 11s in the quarter.

OX1

Established Member
Yep, you're right Kevin. For example, Burger Tuning (I used their Mini Cooper tuner back in 2015) makes a kit for the G70 that makes 450whp for $1,199. I just don't want to lose the awesome warranty. That said........................we'll see. But certainly not right away.

Don't most use the JB4 and does that kill warantee? (being you can unplug it)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Technically a tune change can't be seen by the dealer. That said, a few years ago when I had my 2016 Ford Edge Sport (with a tuner device like this), I was told that the dealer could still search the ECU for signs of having been changed. So I don't know how "undetectable" these are after removal.

Anyone have any experience with Vivid Racing? Their tuner adds 57hp which is decent but not earth shattering. I think it increases boost by 4lbs. Torque increases by 133. So I'd go from 365 hp to 422 hp and torque increases from 376 to 509. Tuning is done using my iPhone and Bluetooth. They don't mentioning having to use new plugs or re-gapping the factory plugs. I know that spark blowout can occur with increased boost. I can't find any forum reports on this tuner, unlike what I can see with the Burger JB4 tuner on a 3.3L Stinger GT.

The Burger JB4 Tuner states gains "up to" 100hp and 100tq. However, on the Stinger forum I'm seeing a number of reported issues after the JB4 install. Most are probably related to the factory plugs/gap. I do remember having occasional Burger JB4 tuning issues on my 2014 Mini Cooper S, which added 40whp. The biggest issue was the tuner putting my car in limp mode out of the blue, which driving normally. I would have to park it, let it sit for many 5 minutes and then re-start it. Frustrating. They never did find/fix the issue but I ended up selling the Mini Cooper and buying a 2016 Edge Sport. I bought a Livernois tuner device for that, which worked great. No issues that I remember.

jshen

Established Member
I just loved my G70 3.3 but had to get a GV70 due to injuries. But I just got my GV70 serviced yesterday only to find the damn dealership MOVED to South Carolina....I am told as of Jan 1, Hyundai cannot service a Genesis as it must be done a Genesis dealer. To all those who have a good dealership..I envy you.. I am so PO'ed at Genesis I called Genesis of America.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone have any experience with Vivid Racing? Their tuner adds 57hp which is decent but not earth shattering. I think it increases boost by 4lbs. Torque increases by 133. So I'd go from 365 hp to 422 hp and torque increases from 376 to 509. Tuning is done using my iPhone and Bluetooth. They don't mentioning having to use new plugs or re-gapping the factory plugs. I know that spark blowout can occur with increased boost. I can't find any forum reports on this tuner, unlike what I can see with the Burger JB4 tuner on a 3.3L Stinger GT.
Since companies have been tuning Hyundai/Kia engines (Theta II, etc..,) it's been generally understood to change the plugs to a colder HKS or NGK.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yeah, one step colder is recommended, and a tighter gap. Here's what Burger recommends for the Kia Stinger/Genesis G70 3.3T.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just loved my G70 3.3 but had to get a GV70 due to injuries. But I just got my GV70 serviced yesterday only to find the damn dealership MOVED to South Carolina....I am told as of Jan 1, Hyundai cannot service a Genesis as it must be done a Genesis dealer. To all those who have a good dealership..I envy you.. I am so PO'ed at Genesis I called Genesis of America.
That is new news to me. I know that Genesis is trying to get separate dealerships from Hyundai, but most of the dealerships are both under the same roof. So in my case, my Genesis will go to my Genesis/Hyundai dealer. Same service area BUT only Genesis trained techs can work on my GV70. Hyundai tech cannot touch it. I've surprised to hear the Genesis dealership moved to a different state. In your case, the Genesis dealership moved to SC, leaving it solely a Hyundai dealership. So it isn't surprising to hear that in your case, your Hyundai dealership cannot service your GV70. Do you have another Genesis dealership within driving distance to where you live? I'm fortunate to have a pretty good Genesis dealership, even if it shares the space with the Hyundai dealership.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
Technically a tune change can't be seen by the dealer. That said, a few years ago when I had my 2016 Ford Edge Sport (with a tuner device like this), I was told that the dealer could still search the ECU for signs of having been changed. So I don't know how "undetectable" these are after removal.

The Burger JB4 Tuner states gains "up to" 100hp and 100tq. However, on the Stinger forum I'm seeing a number of reported issues after the JB4 install. Most are probably related to the factory plugs/gap. I do remember having occasional Burger JB4 tuning issues on my 2014 Mini Cooper S, which added 40whp. The biggest issue was the tuner putting my car in limp mode out of the blue, which driving normally. I would have to park it, let it sit for many 5 minutes and then re-start it. Frustrating. They never did find/fix the issue but I ended up selling the Mini Cooper and buying a 2016 Edge Sport. I bought a Livernois tuner device for that, which worked great. No issues that I remember.

I’ve been researching the piggybacks for awhile. The JB4 is the one you want even with the occasional quirks. However, Sxth Element has the EK1 Pro and Lite. These are similar to the COBB Access Port for Subarus. This just came out within the last 6 months or so and Burger and other turners are going to make their maps available for it. I think the Pro is available for Genesis, not sure about the Lite version.

As for issues with piggybacks, what I’ve seen in most cases is it boils down to fuel issues. Guys not running the right octane for the map, too much e85 so the mix is off, etc. The high pressure fuel pump crashes with too much E so that must be paid attention to.

Also, I’ve read where guys re-gap the stock plugs and it runs fine for a few months or whatever and then they start having issues. HKS plugs are $120ish for a set and a must to do it right. People just being cheap and instead of doing it right they cut corners type of thing.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
THANKS for that excellent info, @95oRANGEcRUSH! Burger JB4 has been around for awhile. I think the 2014 JB4 that I had for my 2014 Mini Cooper was a Beta device. They've made improvements over the years, for sure. If I do go with the JB4 at some point, I've noted that the HKS plugs are must-haves. The HKS M45IL plugs from Burger (6-pack for $165) come pre-gapped at 0.028". I've read that some re-gap to 0.026" but Burger recommends a re-gap of 0.022". Do you recommend the .026 gap or closing the gap down to 0.022"?

The Burger package that includes the tuner, plugs, and dual intake sells for $1,199. That setup nets 441whp and 518wtq. Not bad at all.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Apples to oranges, but my son ran a JB4 on his GTI for about a year with no issues. He picked it up because his friend had one and didn't have any issues. The only reason he pulled it off is because he went to a real tune with a down pipe and a couple other mods.

95oRANGEcRUSH

Who's that whore?
Established Member
THANKS for that excellent info, @95oRANGEcRUSH! Burger JB4 has been around for awhile. I think the 2014 JB4 that I had for my 2014 Mini Cooper was a Beta device. They've made improvements over the years, for sure. If I do go with the JB4 at some point, I've noted that the HKS plugs are must-haves. The HKS M45IL plugs from Burger (6-pack for $165) come pre-gapped at 0.028". I've read that some re-gap to 0.026" but Burger recommends a re-gap of 0.022". Do you recommend the .026 gap or closing the gap down to 0.022"?

The Burger package that includes the tuner, plugs, and dual intake sells for $1,199. That setup nets 441whp and 518wtq. Not bad at all.
You are most welcome. Another advantage to the JB4 is the support. You can post unlimited logs over on their site and Terry will review them at no cost and give you advice. Again, I don’t own a JB4 but I’m a proponent just seeing how they interact with the community and don’t give off any “fly by night” vibes.

As for the the gap on the plugs I would lean towards what Burger recommends. Just makes sense going with that gap in conjunction with their piggyback.

I don’t know how responsive aftermarket intakes are on the G70. I do know on the Stinger, regardless of the hype and “independent” tests, intakes without any other mods don’t net much of an increase in HP/torque. You will get more turbo noise if that’s your thing. However, there are gains to be had with intakes when a piggyback and/or custom ECU tune is used.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks again! I won't be doing anything right away to my G70 when I get it, but I might pursue the JB4 and plugs at some point. I don't drive my cars all that hard, so if the street performance satisfies me, I'll just keep it stock. Having the Sport mode is somewhat satisfying to the brain if I drive most of the time in Comfort mode. You get the feeling you like when you've added a performance mod. LOL.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Surprise! Surprise! My G70 was due to arrive around March 1, but I found out this morning that it was delivered to my Genesis dealer late yesterday afternoon. I'm picking it up on Saturday! (y) My wife and I drove there at noon to check it out. She was impressed more than I was, I think. LOL. The pearl white paint with the black wheels and red Brembo brakes looks really nice. I like the black leather interior with red stitching and red seat belts looks killer.

I'll hopefully post up photos Saturday night. Tomorrow I have to clean out my GV70, clear the garage door opener codes, and erase any personal info in the infotainment system.

1slo5ohh

Established Member
4 pages or not, the forum is dying be happy for the participation don't mock it

Users who are viewing this thread