I have to decide...PRK or Lasik?

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
My Dr suggested PRK due to the fact that I do/will be occasionally doing high contact sports in which I will take blows to the head (wrestling). I'm wondering if I should just give up the activities and do the Lasik. Any one have either recently?

EDIT: Update on post 26 page 2

Last edited:

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
i had lasik done about 5 years ago.
don't know why your dr. would say that, its not like you can get something knocked loose from your eye.

by the way best money i ever spent. i wore glasses since i was 11 got lasik done when i was 35.

Bart7279

Established Member
The Military opted for me to do PRK and I went with it 4 years ago. It was worth it and not too bad at all. If you can get the PRK go with that.. especially if your Doc backs it. its a ton better in the long run!

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
i had lasik done about 5 years ago.
don't know why your dr. would say that, its not like you can get something knocked loose from your eye.

by the way best money i ever spent. i wore glasses since i was 11 got lasik done when i was 35.

Yes, you can. I head of this before I went in but I'm pretty sure you can substain injury to the flap they cut in Lasik.
I just found this on a PRK sight:
People with active lifestyles or careers are said to have been recommended to have PRK because you may be more vulnerable to eye injuries. With PRK there is no flap made during the surgery so there would be less of a chance of eye damage should something come into contact with the eye. Therefore, if you lead an active lifestyle or have a career that is demanding physically, then PRK may be for you.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
I would think that if you are going to let a doctor operate on your eyes, you would trust the doctor's judgment. If you don't trust his/her judgment, why are you letting the doctor near you?

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I would think that if you are going to let a doctor operate on your eyes, you would trust the doctor's judgment. If you don't trust his/her judgment, why are you letting the doctor near you?

I trust the judgement. I just guess I'm looking for people who had PRK and are happy with it. Seems like every one does Lasik now mostly due to the fast recovery time. If I go with Lasik I'm not going to do it any more. I'm over 30 any way. My competition days are long gone.

Last edited:

WutApex

Wut Apex!?!
Established Member
PRK - - best thing I've ever done. The recovery time is a little longer though.

When I had mine done in the military, the Surgeon General had not yet approved the Lasik as their were concerns about the weakened area created by the flap when an aircraft has a rapid loss of pressure - - at least that's what the Doc told me. It has since been accepted so it can't be that dangerous

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I had IntraLasik on my left eye and I see perfectly. I had PRK done on my right eye due to a scar that I have on the middle of the eye. Dr said PRK will diminish (sp) it and that it would be best for that eye. So I went ahead and did it. I see alot better but still not perfect as it was not able to get rid of the scar completely.

I couldnt tell the difference when healing. Both eyes healed at the same rate.

PRK does not create a flap while Lasik does

Bart7279

Established Member
I would go with PRK all the way.. Honestly... recovery isn't that long... I mean within 4 days.. I was able to see, just had to wear shades everywhere and when I slept. But honestly.... Go with what the Doc says. If you live an active lifestyle, outdoors, shooting, racing, or anything go with PRK.

Jroc

Established Member
So there's no razor cut a flap on your eye? That why I wouldn't do Lasek because of the thought of something going wrong, and getting your eye cut the wrong way with the blade trips me out. Infact I just don't like the thought of a blade cutting on my eye to begin with, and especially while I'm awake. lol

Riddla

Established Member
So there's no razor cut a flap on your eye? That why I wouldn't do Lasek because of the thought of something going wrong, and getting your eye cut the wrong way with the blade trips me out. Infact I just don't like the thought of a blade cutting on my eye to begin with, and especially while I'm awake. lol

That's what happened to me! The first Dr I went to was this tiny woman that used a Gen 4 blade and said it was the safest and what do you know? She ****ed up my right eye leaving the scar right in the middle of my eye (vision):kaboom:

IntraLasik uses a laser to make the flap so it's perfect all the time which is what got afterwards on my still virgin eye. You dont feel anything at all:banana::pepper:

and on the ****ed up eye I had to get PRK

Last edited:

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
I think I would take the advice of the doc over a bunch of guys on a car forum.

Both are fine....the one is recommended if I continue with the high contact sports. I wanted to hear from some people who had it done before I do it. I don't know any one that has had PRK.
Riddla...thats just f-ed up. Did she only do the one eye?

Last edited:

Riddla

Established Member
Riddla...thats just f-ed up. Did she only do the one eye?

Oh yeah, and the bitch still asked me if I wanted to go ahead and continue with the next eye:nonono:

All she did was refund me my money and sent me on my way. Had to wear a plastic lense on that eye for a couple of weeks until I saw an IntraLasik Dr.

Never trust a human with a blade. Machines ftw:rockon:

But I had to wait about 6 months or so before I could attempt Lasik again

Last edited:

JASPERSVT

BOOST, my anti drug.
Established Member
I had lasik done allmost 4 years ago, I also played football and was the running back and kick off return..... So yeah i took some hits and my eyes are fine.

bones srt-4

yep,still a neon.
Established Member
Yes, you can. I head of this before I went in but I'm pretty sure you can substain injury to the flap they cut in Lasik.
I just found this on a PRK sight:
People with active lifestyles or careers are said to have been recommended to have PRK because you may be more vulnerable to eye injuries. With PRK there is no flap made during the surgery so there would be less of a chance of eye damage should something come into contact with the eye. Therefore, if you lead an active lifestyle or have a career that is demanding physically, then PRK may be for you.

i was told by my doctor not to do anything strenuous (sp?) for a month after the procedure after that i could do whatever i wanted.

to the o.p. i agree with others on here , do whatever the dr. thinks is best for you.

Users who are viewing this thread