I got the cobra back!! Good and Bad

RED99COBRA

Established Member
For those who have been following my build..... I got the car back yesterday. 474hp and 413 tq at 7.5 psi!!!!

The good. The car is fast as hell and everything under the hood looks like it is suppose to be there. My installer did a great job. I had the rearend built up with DSS level 2 halfshafts and a complete maximum motorsports bushing kit and a Billetflow IRS brace. The car just squats and hooks like a solid rear axel. Money well spent.

The bad. The Promotion t-45, I think, took a dump on me. In less than 20 miles the trans started to whine extremely loud (almost louder than the exhaust) and then it started to grind going into second gear. At idle and in neutral it rattles something fierce. I waited 2 months for this transmission and am very worried as to how long it will take to get another.

More bad. When they dynoed it someone dropped a fan on my front bumper and put 2 nice sized scratches on it (the car doesn't have a scratch on it otherwise) they are going to send me a check for the repair once i get it fixed.

I will keep everyone in the loop on the transmission as I am going to call them tomorrow.

RED99COBRA

Established Member
type911 said:
Are those numbers with the 100 shot? post your graph when you get a chance.
congrats
No nitrous. I had them take all of the nitrous stuff out from under the hood but I still have the bottle and lines still in the car for when I build the bottom end.

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
I would check your boost guage line for a leak. Those numbers look more like 10psi numbers unless yours arn't SAE corrected.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
474 is just about right with your compression and that boost. Eaton conversion cars are making that much power with 8 lbs too, so it's easily possible.

As far as the trans whine, that's exactly what my old T45 did just before it granaded. It probably doesn't whine at all in 4th right? It sounds like it's either out of fluid, or the endplay in your input shaft was waaay off. Either way it's too late. That thing's going to need bearings and an input shaft and a cluster gear at the least.

That sucks about the scratches. My front bumper got a pretty healthy scratch in it from the Ford dealer I worked for. They offered to fix it, but I hate repainted body parts, especially front bumpers. They never last.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
^^^ ported eaton conversion cars maybe

what i wanna know is what kind of timing he has in that thing

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Double"O" said:

what i wanna know is what kind of timing he has in that thing
Yeah, I failed to mention the ported Eaton part, but you get the idea.

RED99COBRA

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
474 is just about right with your compression and that boost. Eaton conversion cars are making that much power with 8 lbs too, so it's easily possible.

As far as the trans whine, that's exactly what my old T45 did just before it granaded. It probably doesn't whine at all in 4th right? It sounds like it's either out of fluid, or the endplay in your input shaft was waaay off. Either way it's too late. That thing's going to need bearings and an input shaft and a cluster gear at the least.

That sucks about the scratches. My front bumper got a pretty healthy scratch in it from the Ford dealer I worked for. They offered to fix it, but I hate repainted body parts, especially front bumpers. They never last.
You couldnt be more correct as I am having no noise at all in 4th or 5th and it is at the right fluid level (I had it checked today). Im taking the trans out tomorrow. I called Promotion and they said to send it back. The big pain in the ass is that if it is the input shaft it might be a while to get another tranny unless they bump someone else off their 30 plus person waiting list.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Double"O" said:
that's me :thumbsup:

since this trans was brand new, did you break it in at all? as said before too, did you check if they added fluid to it? you can never be too sure......hope you get this worked out!

Last edited:

RED99COBRA

Established Member
I got the trans out tonight. What a pain in the ass---it was the first time that I tackled such a job. The top bolt on the starter was the biggest bitch ever. I am calling promotion tomorrow to send it back to them.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
RED99COBRA said:
The top bolt on the starter was the biggest bitch ever.

it's really not that bad...

deep well 13mm, swivel w/ a couple wraps of electrical tape around it, about 18" of extensions, feed it in from just in front of the swaybar, between the motor mount and exhaust manifold, and guide it onto the bolt w/ your other hand...it is a tight space, but if i can get my fat hand up there i guarantee 99% of people can...takes about 5 minutes once you done it a couple times...

Users who are viewing this thread