I got into a F'n accident

99cobraclone

Established Member
Well to make a really long story short, I got into an accident today. I have traction control on my 99 GT and it has never failed me until today. I literally did a 180 into on coming traffic at the blistering speed of 25 mph. I got hit in the passenger rear quarter, passenger front quarter, front bumper and my hood is bent down. My steering column is busted and I think I may have some axel damage.

It was raining and my traction control as never failed before today. It did not engage at all, I would have remembered the green light going on.

It's my fault but the girl that hit me hit the gas instead of her brake because she panicked. She bounced off my car into a pole. Her front bumper is pretty messed up but she was able to drive home.

It was funny though because I went to HS with her, she was a grade below me. I'm pissed not because of my car but this just makes me putting off a terminator even longer now :(

The only bright side is that my best friend's dad owns a collision shop and he will definitely save me some money.

There were two witnesses and I have no idea if they are going to put all of the blame on me. 2 of the cops were really cool but the 3rd (who wrote the report) was the biggest ass that ever lived. He tried to get me to say I was speeding. The fact is I wasn't I was going 25 in a 35.

His first words were and I quote "spare me the traction control bullshit, I was young once too." I didn't back down though and I let him have it. I'm 21 and I have never even been pulled over let alone a ticket of anykind. I wasn't speeding and I wasn't about to say I was. I have never met a bigger doushe bag in my entire life, this guy definitely takes the cake.

Sorry for the novel but I'm pretty upset. I definitely believe now that a yellow car automatically makes you a target.

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
that really sucks! did you get any pics of it? how bad is the damage?

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by 03graygt
that really sucks! did you get any pics of it? how bad is the damage?

the cops took pics, my front and rear quarter panels are toast. My hood is bent but only slightly. My steering colum broke, I could see the snap when it was getting lifted onto the truck. Her car has only damage to the front bumper and headlight, luckily neither of our air bags deployed. She had further damage after she hit the pole, she definitely could have avoided the pole had she not hit the gas. It doesn't matter cause my ass will still be paying for it :fm:

She was definitely hot but she was on her way to her boyfriends house. :loser: She said she knew me from High School but I had no recollection of her, though I was the hockey stud at school :coolman:

oddly enough nothing fell off my car, my headlights and tail lights were all fine

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
hope you had decent insurance. if you and she have the same insurance company, it will be a breeze.

or, maybe they total it out and you get a big fat check to put down on an 03/04

the only thing that really matters is that everyone is unhurt.

edit: enjoy what a fine indiana driver did to my GT. pushed a camry into me. i was at a stop because of bumper to bumper traffic on i-80/94 and he hit the toyota doing 80 which slammed into me. im not a tailgating moron so i didnt get pushed into the car in front. i reset the crash switch and drove it home. BUILT FORD TOUGH. that car got repaired and i traded it in on my cobra.

whacked.jpg

which also got an owie. a trailer lost a wheel at highway speed in the lane next to me on the lake ponchartrain causeway which is two lanes with almost a shoulder. nowhere to go. tire flying at me at eye level. many many miles from home.

owie-cobra.jpg

Last edited:

PhillyCobra

Established Member
99Cobra,

Glad you're OK.

What do you mean about the traction control failing causing your accident? Were you accelerating from a stop, or going around a corner?

Are you the guy whose mom got the new Z06?

Where in Philly are you? The roads around here are always very slick when it first starts raining (like today) because all the accumulated oil rises when the road gets wet.

svtxchinoy

Established Member
OUCH to both you guys. Just a tip, never take it to the dealers body shop. When my cobra got fixed, the shop did a horrible job. The primer shrank back and the paint looked nasty after 2 weeks. The sidescoop flew off after a 95mph romp. They didnt put it on correctly, it was kinda loose already, but stupid me figured it was gonna be that way. I put it back myself and the same thing happened. Apparently, you need to take off the interior panel to tighten and secure properly, so, I'm never putting on a sidescoop my own again. A few weeks ago, after the 2nd sidescoop flew off, I couldnt find it in the road so I decided to take it to a pro this time. Everywhere I went, they complimented on how lowsy of a job my dealer did in repairing it. Don't get me wrong, love my dealer, guys at the service and sales are great, just there bodyshop could use a bit more... quality control.

Anyways, I decided to get the door and panel either wetsanded or just paint the whole thing again. (this is also due to the nice scratches the idiot garage guy made to my bumper by backing it into something, same day I lost my scoop, aint that some shiet?) I go to the shop that I had taken my moms Pathfinder to a few years ago, the one her Nissan dealer recommended. He was gonna charge me 1500 for the whole job, obviously couldn't afford that. Whats funny about that is, I was changing the fog light on the Pathfinder yesterday, and noticed the piller that holds the lamp and this plastic cover piece next to it was snapped from someone backing up into it when i was parked somewhere. It was there, that I saw that they just used body filler and apoxy to repair the bumper, so they charged me a whole new bumper when they just fixed the broken one I had before. :fm:

Well, as for the cobra, found a nice shop, the guy there explained everything in detail, really nice lookin shop, got the car wetsanded, sidescoop back, bumper repaired, looks like I had just picked it up from the dealer. Sorry for the long story, this stuff brings back bad memories and just hope people pick a good shop to get the carfixed. Good luck 99cobraclone, hope you don't go what i went through. :)

Last edited:

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
hope you had decent insurance. if you and she have the same insurance company, it will be a breeze.

or, maybe they total it out and you get a big fat check to put down on an 03/04

the only thing that really matters is that everyone is unhurt.

edit: enjoy what a fine indiana driver did to my GT. pushed a camry into me. i was at a stop because of bumper to bumper traffic on i-80/94 and he hit the toyota doing 80 which slammed into me. im not a tailgating moron so i didnt get pushed into the car in front. i reset the crash switch and drove it home. BUILT FORD TOUGH. that car got repaired and i traded it in on my cobra.

Yeah it wasn't even bad enough that the fuel cutoff was activated, I couldn't move though due to my stearing column braking.

On a side note: I used to live in Lake Forest, IL, do you know where that is?

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by PhillyCobra
99Cobra,

Glad you're OK.

What do you mean about the traction control failing causing your accident? Were you accelerating from a stop, or going around a corner?

Are you the guy whose mom got the new Z06?

Where in Philly are you? The roads around here are always very slick when it first starts raining (like today) because all the accumulated oil rises when the road gets wet.

I was going around a corner but I had been stopped before hand. My traction control didn't kick in. I know this because I always feel a rumble when on the brake plus the green light did not go on. I was looking at the speedo as I was sliding.

I live in Blue Bell in Montgomery County. I live right near the norristown and mid county exits of the PA turnpike.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Did you hit the brakes when your wheels started spinning or something?

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by Hissman
Did you hit the brakes when your wheels started spinning or something?

Yeah I did and I steered in the direction of the skid to try to correct it but I did a 180 into the other lanes and got hit.

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by svtxchinoy
OUCH to both you guys. Just a tip, never take it to the dealers body shop...

My best friend's dad owns a body shop that does about two Vipers and three vettes a month, I'm in good hands to say the least, lol.

NewGuy

That's a real bummer man. Not a fun way to start spring out. On the bright side, cars can be replaced, but people can't.

Users who are viewing this thread