I got codes....I got codesssss...and my car is a hoe, my car is a hoe....

Osiris

Established Member
My 45k mile SC'd Cobra just LOVES to throw codes at me...It happed all the time -_-

I've replaced a few things, but this car is stinking clean, and it's causing me to think these issues are tune related, though admittedly, the codes have been changing....I'll start with the beginning....

When I first bought it, it was tossing up an 02 sensor code. Found the bad 02 sensor and replaced it. Light off, lasted about 100 miles. Then I got a code for an evap solenoid. That got replaced, code gone. Now, I get a random misfire. This happened after I cleaned the motor for a car show. Though I was careful to keep relevant parts dry and I wiped down everything, then let it sit hood open for a about 12 hours.

It started throwing codes for cylinder 5 and 6 misfire. Confirmed on 6, pending on 5. I cleared it, drove it again, datalogged it, and watched for misfires. it would switch from mostly no, to yes.

I then replaced the coil packs with OEM units. The car seems smoother now. Another DTC reset and drive, and the lights go out. Then I get P0411. Car reset again, another drive/log, no fault with that part.

But now, misfire code again.

The car is running Taylor 409 wires. Probably installed 10 years or so ago, but again, this car has only 45k miles on it. It sat most of it's life. It's super clean and it runs fine.

This is what keeps me going back to the tune. It was dyno tuned using a Diablo flip chip. It has an MSD ignition box, a HUGE list of other mods (vortech V2, aftercooler, etc, etc.)

So all this boils down (sorry for the long read) to these questions...Does anything stand out as common issues with this platform? Could the tuning software be playing havoc with the system (it also always throws P1000 which I assume is because its tuned), and aside from just ripping the damn CEL bulb out, is there something simple I should be looking at first (like battery perhaps?)

Thanks all, Love the car, hate the light...lol

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
P1000 code is from being flashed etc…it will not throw a cel

Things like plug wires degrade over time, they’re low miles but they’re still old. I would replace them

a tune won’t cause a misfire

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
You could very well be getting oil on a plug. The donut gaskets around the plugs dry out over time.

CobraSam

Established Member
MSD components always gave me issues with my Foxbodys over the years. I’d suspect the ignition box, as stated above.

Osiris

Established Member
No, no pressure washer, just light spray and dressing, but I covered the coils/plugs with plastic film, then went over everything with a towel before allowing to dry. I never get any stutter or hesitation while driving, I just get codes. The only code I'm getting now after the last clear is P0411. Most, if not all of the vacuum lines look really good. As mentioned, this car wasn't mistreated.

Also, I think the MSD box (mounted under the driver's seat) controls some kind of line lock. I've never used it, but it connects to a button that rests under the steering wheel when not in use (looks like a hand held device)

MG0h3

Established Member
I had multiple MSD failures when I had foxes and mounted them under the hood.

Mounted it to the dash of my CJ5 with a 408 SBF and no issues in 10yrs.

I suspect it was heat related

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread