I got a 3D printer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double0fox

2 extra cylinders
Established Member
Awesome man, I have the Creality CR-10 ( my third printer). I just recently started printing with Carbon Fiber impregnated nylon(strong stuff compared to PLA, and ABS). I am using Fusion 360. I work in the machining world, and if you guys want to see where additive manufacturing is going go to a IMTS show (International Manufacturing Technology Show | IMTS 2020). One of the companies I work with (Blue Origin) is 3D printing Inconel right now, and machine finishing. Crazy how far it has come in a little amount of time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, Jeff, that is really impressive. I was not expecting to see an item that could have been in a package at the local toy store. Impressive!!

How much CAD experience do you need to do basic stuff with a 3D printer? Like, say I want to print an angled back plate for my Ring doorbell to make it fit nice on my 4" vinyl siding? I actually bought a backplate from a guy down south who 3D printed it. It fit perfectly and looks awesome. I was just curious how much CAD knowledge is needed to make custom parts.

tones_RS3

I like members members.
Established Member
Premium Member
That's amazing bro!! @HISSMAN
Looks really good.

Let's get a business going 3D printing car/mod parts for a bit cheaper than what they are sold for.
We'd make a killing!

nickf2005

Established Member
Awesome man, I have the Creality CR-10 ( my third printer). I just recently started printing with Carbon Fiber impregnated nylon(strong stuff compared to PLA, and ABS). I am using Fusion 360. I work in the machining world, and if you guys want to see where additive manufacturing is going go to a IMTS show (International Manufacturing Technology Show | IMTS 2020). One of the companies I work with (Blue Origin) is 3D printing Inconel right now, and machine finishing. Crazy how far it has come in a little amount of time.
I've been to IMTS 3 or 4 times now. That show is so big and amazing. Additive manufacturing has made leaps and bounds the last 5 years. Companies are already, forget plastics, using metal AM for production purposes. Michelin being one of the biggest names.

I'm very anxious to see how we can use AM in the very near future for production. We have several big SLA machines, but only for prototypes. We have to move quick into using the technology for everyday parts in low volume SKU's.

Edit: If I play my cards right, my next job with us will be leading our initiatives for AM and other innovative material and manufacturing practices. I'm excited for the opportunity.

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
you really don’t need much experience. There are some really good YouTube tutorials out there.

Wow, Jeff, that is really impressive. I was not expecting to see an item that could have been in a package at the local toy store. Impressive!!

How much CAD experience do you need to do basic stuff with a 3D printer? Like, say I want to print an angled back plate for my Ring doorbell to make it fit nice on my 4" vinyl siding? I actually bought a backplate from a guy down south who 3D printed it. It fit perfectly and looks awesome. I was just curious how much CAD knowledge is needed to make custom parts.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
50E3C2E5-AE11-48D6-AB64-0A3AD058AB52.jpeg
My twin boy and girls sabers are about 90% assembled.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's really cool, Jeff. So, I was talking to a friend of mine tonight about 3D printing. He was saying you basically use a scanner tool to prep the 3D printer. Is that true? And that for a working setup you'd need a 3D printer, monitor and scanner minimally. I know nothing about 3D printers.

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
That's really cool, Jeff. So, I was talking to a friend of mine tonight about 3D printing. He was saying you basically use a scanner tool to prep the 3D printer. Is that true? And that for a working setup you'd need a 3D printer, monitor and scanner minimally. I know nothing about 3D printers.

Nothing that your friend told you is true.. LOL!

FJohnny

Established Member
That's an amazing result from a $300 home printer! Very cool.

When I ordered a Roush vent mount pod a few years back for a boost gage it took forever to arrive. Apparently Roush couldn't keep up with sales? Of course once it was ordered and paid for I read on a forum somewhere that you could buy them on Ebay for half the price. Some guy 3D printing better fitting pods at home.

You are clearly talented. Go forth and make $Millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread