I "downgraded" my radiator... (long read)

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Last week, out of the blue, the radiator on my 03 sprang a leak from the core area. Kind of a weird event, and I'll be interested in finding out exactly where it's coming from. I will probably end up bringing it to a company that repairs aluminum radiators, because I don't think it's something I can repair myself, but they are hard to find anymore. And since I daily drive the car, I wanted it back on the road again asap. And I only wanted to buy a new radiator (not a used part).

Some of you probably already know this, but it simply isn’t possible to purchase a brand new, direct replacement Cobra radiator, from any company, anywhere, at this point in time. A Cobra-specific DPI number exists, but nobody manufactures them. Probably because there is so little demand. I think eventually someone will repop them - there are brand new radiators out there for pretty much anything that’s ever been built - but in the meantime, this may just be an example of the pitfalls of owning a limited-production vehicle. (It might be possible to buy a brand new OEM unit from an individual out there who may have held onto one, but I wasn’t interested in trying that route.)

Side note: does anyone know if the 03/04 Mach 1 came with the same radiator as the Terminator? In my research I couldn’t find out exactly, or tell from pics. (I think that it may have but not sure)

Anyway, to make matters worse, I didn't want any modifications whatsoever to any other system on the vehicle when I replaced this radiator. I didn’t want to drill holes to for the intercooler reservoir, move or bend abs brackets or brake lines, bend a/c lines, or otherwise do anything unrelated to the engine cooling system – I only wanted a direct, drop in replacement. All the mods I’ve done on my cars (perhaps except for the light bar on the vert) have never required any permanent changes to any other parts of vehicle, and I’d like to keep it that way.

Now, there are several companies who do make very nice, all-aluminum, high performance, upgraded, complete radiators for the 97-04 Mustangs, and I'm sure they are awesome pieces. But every one of them requires modifications to get them to fit our cars. For example, none of the passenger side tanks provide adequate clearance for the a/c lines, and none of them come in the stock 1.5 inch core thickness.

So, to get the car running again, I bought a generic, 4.6 Mustang GT replacement radiator. Unfortunately, that is what Ford would sell you if you brought your Terminator to a dealership service department for replacement. They are readily available (in a wide price range), but to me they are all pretty much the same exact thing: cheap, Chinese, disposable crap-ola. Plastic tanks, 1-inch aluminum core, and automatic transmission oil cooler built in... Turrible.

Anyway, neither of my cars are going to win any concourse trophies for all being all-original OEM stock examples, and this got me on the road again - which was my main goal for right now.

So far I don’t see any significant changes in operating temps – in traffic it could be hanging around more the upper range of where my fan comes on and shuts off, but I could be wrong. After all, it does have less surface area than stock. Other than that, it seems to be working out and driving like before. Several hard highway pulls show no difference in temps from before.

It should be interesting to see how many miles this lasts.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Damn Chris that sucks. At least your temps aren’t higher. Hope you find someone to rebuild the stocker for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Thanks for the post Chris. I’m possibly in the market for a new radiator as well and it’s good to know the GT rad didn’t increase your temps. I have a spare Mach 1 radiator as well, I’ll compare it to the cobra rad and see if I can find any differences.

No pics of install. Waste of a read

It’s an r&r install, self explanatory job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Talleywacker

Established Member
Mine has the larger fluidyne radiator but the stock unit I have in a box with only 2k miles on it. This is one the reasons why all the stock parts are not ever going to sell out of my hands

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Damn Chris that sucks. At least your temps aren’t higher. Hope you find someone to rebuild the stocker for you.

Yeah Patrick, i may even need to send it out of state! Lol

Thanks for the post Chris. I’m possibly in the market for a new radiator as well and it’s good to know the GT rad didn’t increase your temps. I have a spare Mach 1 radiator as well, I’ll compare it to the cobra rad and see if I can find any differences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Roel, yeah the more videos i watch, it looks like the Machs utilize the same 1.5 inch, all-aluminum rads. Which will be good in the future if someone ever wants to reproduce them.

Mine has the larger fluidyne radiator but the stock unit I have in a box with only 2k miles on it. This is one the reasons why all the stock parts are not ever going to sell out of my hands

Smart man!

I just happened to see a pic of an LFP radiator, which is the only aftermarket one I've seen with dimpled tanks. Still thicker than stock, but would probably give enough clearance for the A/C lines.
LFP Pro Comp Race Radiator 1999-2004 Ford Mustang GT / Saleen and 03-04 Cobra

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Keep us posted when the stocker gets rebuilt. It sucks in my town we had someone that did that. They closed up a few years back. Such a shame.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
A bunch of detail on the radiator and replacements, although I neglected to mention that the Terminator and Mach shared it (and will make the change): Cooling

Downgrading to the thinner GT radiator is a bad idea - Ford made the change for a good reason.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
A bunch of detail on the radiator and replacements, although I neglected to mention that the Terminator and Mach shared it (and will make the change): Cooling

Downgrading to the thinner GT radiator is a bad idea - Ford made the change for a good reason.

Sell me one of your stockers, Joe!! lol

So as far as the Mach 1's go, am I correct in assuming that only the manual transmission cars got the Cobra radiator, and the automatic-equipped cars would have gotten the smaller one from the GT? I will check your site for updates - thanks!

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
The stock spare I have is closely guarded! Will be real hard to ever let it go.

As for the Mach, I show the same p/n for manual and automatic, which probably means the automatic cars had the transmission cooler separate from the whole system (off the top of my head).

hotcobra03

Established Member
I didn’t think the sve radiator was all that bad.

I had to move tank back and abs

I did like the pet **** location better.

It fell in easy with fan installed

RichM1983

Established Member
I had to do the same thing in my last 03. As far as I know its still going with no noticeable difference in temps. It was basically stock power though.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I didn’t think the sve radiator was all that bad.

I had to move tank back and abs

I did like the pet **** location better.

It fell in easy with fan installed

yes hotcobra03 i remember reading about your sve install over the last couple of years, and had taken it into consideration. thanks for posting all of the info.

who knows, if this one doesn't work out, or if i can't get my stock one repaired, i may wind up going that route after all.

I had to do the same thing in my last 03. As far as I know its still going with no noticeable difference in temps. It was basically stock power though.

i have been driving it to work over the last few days (i generally drive my cars hard) and have been closely monitoring the temps, and so far so good - overall it does seem to be working and driving like stock. but we'll see whether it will stand the test of time. mine's an upper-pulley car, 450/450.

so i think that as long as it's not overheating the engine - which so far it's not - i don't see this change as being too detrimental (from a functionality standpoint, at least).

Last edited:

wckdvnm

Established Member
Mishimoto sells a stock size (as the cobra) with its coolant stabilizing fins within the tanks. I’ve heard those radiators perform marginally above our stock unit (not my experience since I do not have this unit but can get one for 30% off through a sponsorship code but I’m not particularly wanting to spend that money when I can repair min for $75-100 at a shop).
Out here in the IE we have two or three shops that work with aluminum radiators and re-coring radiators. Pm me and I’ll give you the names of the shops.
I did however find a three core rad that dropped in the place of the stock unit without moving anything. It’s very minor differences in dimensions but it matches the fluidyne rad at about 1/4 the cost.
I’ve had that brand rad for about two years now. During the 118 degree summer running the A/C I never saw above 198-200 stopped and 184-8 on the highway. If someone wanted this radiator it has one downfall of the tanks are epoxied which is true of all aftermarket radiators for these cars except fluidyne and Mishimoto who braze the tanks.

Edit: I have been trying to post this since the thread opened but the app wouldn’t let me.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Mishimoto sells a stock size (as the cobra) with its coolant stabilizing fins within the tanks. I’ve heard those radiators perform marginally above our stock unit (not my experience since I do not have this unit but can get one for 30% off through a sponsorship code but I’m not particularly wanting to spend that money when I can repair min for $75-100 at a shop).
Out here in the IE we have two or three shops that work with aluminum radiators and re-coring radiators. Pm me and I’ll give you the names of the shops.
I did however find a three core rad that dropped in the place of the stock unit without moving anything. It’s very minor differences in dimensions but it matches the fluidyne rad at about 1/4 the cost.
I’ve had that brand rad for about two years now. During the 118 degree summer running the A/C I never saw above 198-200 stopped and 184-8 on the highway. If someone wanted this radiator it has one downfall of the tanks are epoxied which is true of all aftermarket radiators for these cars except fluidyne and Mishimoto who braze the tanks.

Edit: I have been trying to post this since the thread opened but the app wouldn’t let me.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

that's all very good information, thanks.

what is the brand of the 3 core radiator you're referring to that dropped in place without moving anything, and at 1/4 the cost of the fluidyne?!

as far as the mishimoto, there definitely seems to be alot of conflicting info out there as to whether it will fit 03-04 cobra with no modifications. supposedly the design has improved over earlier versions (there is a good thread on here where @MalcolmV8 bought one several years ago but needed to make several changes), however i have yet to read a recent review saying they drop in. even recent reviews from the folks who bought one expecting a direct fit but then have to modify reported that the company reps say afterwards that, yeah, it won't fit the 03-04 cobras. on top of that, 03-04 cobras are suspiciously absent from the application list on their website for this radiator (yet the 03-04 mach 1 is listed, go figure...). and lastly, while they do seem to be the closest to stock as far as the core thickness of any of the all-aluminum aftermarket units at 1.57", which is good, i can't see how any of these radiators can comfortably clear the a/c lines when the tanks are formed straight down the passenger side like this (as opposed to dimpled in like that LFP unit that i linked to earlier.)

i will def pm you about those ie repair shops, thanks!

hotcobra03

Established Member
mishimoto

This I had read issues with it flexing and causing leaks.

Sve sold flexible clamps for the top.

ZEN357

Established Member
Have you tried calling a few company's like Be Cool or Griffin to see if they have something that may fit and work with your vehicle?

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
that's all very good information, thanks.

what is the brand of the 3 core radiator you're referring to that dropped in place without moving anything, and at 1/4 the cost of the fluidyne?!

as far as the mishimoto, there definitely seems to be alot of conflicting info out there as to whether it will fit 03-04 cobra with no modifications. supposedly the design has improved over earlier versions (there is a good thread on here where @MalcolmV8 bought one several years ago but needed to make several changes), however i have yet to read a recent review saying they drop in. even recent reviews from the folks who bought one expecting a direct fit but then have to modify reported that the company reps say afterwards that, yeah, it won't fit the 03-04 cobras. on top of that, 03-04 cobras are suspiciously absent from the application list on their website for this radiator (yet the 03-04 mach 1 is listed, go figure...). and lastly, while they do seem to be the closest to stock as far as the core thickness of any of the all-aluminum aftermarket units at 1.57", which is good, i can't see how any of these radiators can comfortably clear the a/c lines when the tanks are formed straight down the passenger side like this (as opposed to dimpled in like that LFP unit that i linked to earlier.)

i will def pm you about those ie repair shops, thanks!

You can't compare the Mach's to us though. The Mach is more aligned with the 99/01 Cobra. Aluminum block, N/A, no extra stuff hanging past the water pump, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread