I bought a Shelby Super Snake hood...looking at finally installing it.

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I am curious how your hood prop rod would have stopped the wind from lifting your hood off of it and not suffering the same fate as the one with struts...is it because it sits a little closer to the closed position than one with struts?
I was there that day, parked 3 cars down from the Bullitt, & the wind didn't phase the prop rod. I also saw several other owners lower their hoods.
The OEM prop rod is closer to the end of the hood, & " latches " to the hood, it doesn't just sit there.
Hood struts are mounted closer to the windshield, the wind uses the length of the hood as a lever..

RhinoRacn

DD35F03D-6DDF-4E44-AC08-0BA4AA06A374.jpeg
To OP from what I have heard from others with the SS hood is the rain will always be an issue. But the airflow stalling the motor was the big problem guys have claimed to get around this by adding a mesh screen to the air opening in the hood like the oem KR hood has.

gtt500

Established Member
I have the 1
About 4 years ago I got a heck of a deal on a genuine Shelby Fiberglass Ram Air Hood. Life got busy and I had just started a pro touring build on my 70 mach 1 so the hood got tucked away for a later date. I have the Mach 1 pretty well finished up and so now I'm thinking about playing with the Shelby again. I bought the shelby heat extractor vents shortly after that so I have those but I haven't done anything regarding the wiper squirters or deciding if I want hood pins or not and what ones to use for this hood. I have the billet aluminum shelby pins on my stock hood now. Also it is a ram air hood but there are no pre drilled or cut holes above the air filter currently. I remember originally reading about that being a slight issue with getting too much air and cause maf problems if they're not right.

Should I put the thing on?

gtt500

Established Member
About 4 years ago I got a heck of a deal on a genuine Shelby Fiberglass Ram Air Hood. Life got busy and I had just started a pro touring build on my 70 mach 1 so the hood got tucked away for a later date. I have the Mach 1 pretty well finished up and so now I'm thinking about playing with the Shelby again. I bought the shelby heat extractor vents shortly after that so I have those but I haven't done anything regarding the wiper squirters or deciding if I want hood pins or not and what ones to use for this hood. I have the billet aluminum shelby pins on my stock hood now. Also it is a ram air hood but there are no pre drilled or cut holes above the air filter currently. I remember originally reading about that being a slight issue with getting too much air and cause maf problems if they're not right.

gtt500

Established Member

I have the 1st generation SuperSnake hood on my car. When I bought the hood from Shelby a long time ago, the hood needed a lot of prep work to get it right but worth every dollar. I did have issues with too much air flow and throwing codes. I was given a piece of screen-like material to install in the air intake to supposedly remedy the problem and I was also sent a fiberglass cover with holes drilled in it that they wanted me to install over the opening under the hood and above the air intake. Was not going to do that because my hood was already finished and painted. So all I did was put some hard foam with several drilled holes in it with hollow metal tubes to restrict some air flow and installed the foam inside of the opening leading to the large ram air opening on the back side of the hood. No more issues.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I have the 1st generation SuperSnake hood on my car. When I bought the hood from Shelby a long time ago, the hood needed a lot of prep work to get it right but worth every dollar. I did have issues with too much air flow and throwing codes. I was given a piece of screen-like material to install in the air intake to supposedly remedy the problem and I was also sent a fiberglass cover with holes drilled in it that they wanted me to install over the opening under the hood and above the air intake. Was not going to do that because my hood was already finished and painted. So all I did was put some hard foam with several drilled holes in it with hollow metal tubes to restrict some air flow and installed the foam inside of the opening leading to the large ram air opening on the back side of the hood. No more issues.

The picture below is of a "Shelby installed" fix for an earlier Super Snake hood. As far as I know, any "fixes" that were done to the earlier hoods, once the issue was identified, were done in this area directly above the CAI, with no mods, screens or other changes done to the hood opening where the air flows into the CAI plenum.......

009-5.jpg

By contrast, here is the air feed to the GT500KR CAI.....It appears to be quite different.....

GT500-KR-Under-Hood.jpg

.......an then the later production Super Snake hood and "air dump" over the CAI area......

0013.jpg

and lastly a newer Super Snake hood from Shelby Perf. Parts with no functional CAI ram air.....

P10303201.jpg

R

Attachments

• 0033.jpg
    0033.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 107

blue 07

Established Member
Although not a SS hood, I love the look of my Cervinis GT500 Ram Air hood. Changed the look of the front end completely. Wasn't a true ram air, my body guy cut out the openings underneath the hood vents.

Attachments

• IMG_4247.JPG
    IMG_4247.JPG
    298 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    299.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2589.jpg
    IMG_2589.jpg
    542.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1839.JPG
    IMG_1839.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 101

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Although not a SS hood, I love the look of my Cervinis GT500 Ram Air hood. Changed the look of the front end completely. Wasn't a true ram air, my body guy cut out the openings underneath the hood vents.

The pronounced divider in the ram air opening gives your hood a much more GT500KR look than a Super Snake look....

The difference in ram air opening shown below.....

GT500KR and ram air divider......

Picture1365-1.jpg

GT500 Super Snake and ram air divider......

Picture1366-1.jpg

^^^^Also note that this Super Snake hood Does Not have Black stripes cover the center divider which better shows how it is inset into the ram air opening. The production Super Snakes (most of them) had the center divider Blacked out with stripe material and it somewhat disappeared in the opening. The 725 Super Snake shown above was a first model that Gary Patterson from Shelby Automobiles campaigned as the media/magazine car which most famously was driven by Evan (Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords) to a 10.87et. @134mph with a simple rear tire change.

R

builttodrive

Established Member
Thanks for all the info everyone. So far I just have the hood bolted on and I have made a few small modifications for a better fit. I'm using the prop rod for now and I wonder if I should install something over the prop rod whole as reinforcement similar to the underside of the KR hood pictured above? As of right now I have a whole big enough for the hood pins to come through but I haven't made the holes on the top side for the billet Shelby GT500 plates I had on my stock hood. I've held off from making the ram air portion of the hood functional for fear of causing myself issues. I avoid driving the car in the rain if at all possible but I don't want to have issues with moisture getting to the CAI but the question of where the moisture will go once it enters the opening in the front is a good question also.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks for all the info everyone. So far I just have the hood bolted on and I have made a few small modifications for a better fit. I'm using the prop rod for now and I wonder if I should install something over the prop rod whole as reinforcement similar to the underside of the KR hood pictured above? As of right now I have a whole big enough for the hood pins to come through but I haven't made the holes on the top side for the billet Shelby GT500 plates I had on my stock hood. I've held off from making the ram air portion of the hood functional for fear of causing myself issues. I avoid driving the car in the rain if at all possible but I don't want to have issues with moisture getting to the CAI but the question of where the moisture will go once it enters the opening in the front is a good question also.

A while back, those GT500KR hood prop rod stainless reinforcement plates were on eBay. I have not noticed them recently, but I also have not looked for them....

The addition of that stainless plate to the prop rod area on the GT500KR CF hood tells me that Shelby felt it was needed on the production KR's.

R

Users who are viewing this thread