I Am Done. Welcome To The Civilian Life

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Congrats on starting that second career. Might take a while to get your "first name" back but eventually that "SRA" customer will see you as some old clueless fart who's knows nothing about today's Air Force (LOL).

Enjoy your retirement, you earned it .

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats on starting that second career. Might take a while to get your "first name" back but eventually that "SRA" customer will see you as some old clueless fart who's knows nothing about today's Air Force (LOL).

Enjoy your retirement, you earned it .

Do you mean SrA?

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Do you mean SrA?

Damn, spent over 30+ years in the Air Force and retired as a "CMSGT", or so the old leather name tags said, being called on the carpet now over a "SRA"? (LOL) I was also a "Buck Sergeant" at one time too or is that a non-PC term too now days? ;-)

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Damn, spent over 30+ years in the Air Force and retired as a "CMSGT", or so the old leather name tags said, being called on the carpet now over a "SRA"? (LOL) I was also a "Buck Sergeant" at one time too or is that a non-PC term too now days? ;-)

Just wondering. I have this problem quite often with retired MSgt's still trying to assert their stripes over lower enlisted. I have to laugh at them when they try to task airmen with "well I'm a MSgt... retired".

DOHC MARK VIII

Mustang ***** since 1970
Established Member
Just wondering. I have this problem quite often with retired MSgt's still trying to assert their stripes over lower enlisted. I have to laugh at them when they try to task airmen with "well I'm a MSgt... retired".

Some people have trouble taking off the uniform when their time is up. I enjoyed my time, but when it was up, it was up. When people refer to my former rank I just say, "Call me, Bill now". :)

If you're still serving, enjoy your time as it can be quick and fleeting even though it may have been 20 to 30 years. If you're finished, thanks for your service. :beer:

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member
Some people have trouble taking off the uniform when their time is up. I enjoyed my time, but when it was up, it was up. When people refer to my former rank I just say, "Call me, Bill now". :)

If you're still serving, enjoy your time as it can be quick and fleeting even though it may have been 20 to 30 years. If you're finished, thanks for your service. :beer:

We always referred to the former Sgt. Major in my story below as "Sergeant Major" on the yard and on the radio. He didn't ask for it, and in the beginning he would ask us not to call him that. But we just kept calling him this and he and everyone else on the yard including the inmates just got used to it.

Then again, it's probably more natural when you're all still wearing some kind of uniform, especially BDUs.

'Grats Chief!

I remember when I was a Corrections Officer, there were a bunch of us that just recently got out of military service. One of them was a recently-retired USMC Sgt. Major who also had put in 30 years of service.

I guess he hadn't had his fill of putting on a uniform everyday, and he always wore the drill sgt. CO hat. Even though we were all technically the same rank, we always ended up deferring to him, as he always carried this air of command and competence. Also, the fact that a lot of us were prior military and respected the hell out of him must have helped. :)

I guess I'm saying that if you happen to have some vets working around you, it might make transition a bit easier.

03cobraracer

Established Member
congrats marc! ive been in the army 3 years now but im only doing my 5 and getting out. congrats and enjoy civilian life, im looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread