I always liked our hoods.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I noticed this awhile ago but never posted about it. Looking at pictures of the new GT350s it seems Ford likes the single heat extractor vent hood that is or was on our cars from the factory.

image_zpsgw21idao.png

So while most change out the hood for something "cooler" just note your car had the same style hood on it 17 years earlier!!! For the '99 year models.

image_zps192rqxsp.jpg

My current AI race car will have a 99-01 based hood on it. Enlarged opening and I'm hoping to make it out of carbon. Custom radiator with a good degree of forward tilt and ducted to the hood. I'll post pictures as I get the ball rolling on this project but it's still in its planning stages.

Carry on.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Heat extractor hoods are the most functional. Not a good location to get air from but a great place to get rid of it. The Mach 1 hood scoop is actually a restriction and is there mainly for looks. Did you see the full carbon Race Bronco hood in the Terminator section? That is the ultimate NE Mustang hood and only weighs 19 lbs. I do prefer the more subtle OE hoods with the Terminator as #1. The 98 and older Cobra hoods with those tiny forward facing scoops was embarrassing :nonono:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I've seen that hood, it looks really good. I just plan to fabricate my own parts on this race car build. I have a 72" 12" cord foam wing that I also plan to wrap with carbon fiber.

Funny that you mention the 96-98 cobra hoods, I liked those hoods too. Years ago I test drove a 98 cobra and the hood looked like the back of a snakes head. Not functional but the hood looked cool from the drivers seat.

Four cam slam

Bacon Enthusiast
Established Member
I love the 01 hood too. I immediatly noticed the Gt350 hood looked very similar to ours.
Notice the only non 03 body part on my car is the factory hood. I sold the 03 hood in background.....lol.
image.jpg2_zpslrndmoy8.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsgohimdem.jpg

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
These pictures are 5-6 years old. I had rookie stripes before everyone and their dog had them. Car still looks the same. Hoping to get some 18" y2k reproduction cobra r wheels.

DSC03767.jpg

DSC03770.jpg

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
NE best looking Mustang made to date bar none! :rockon:

I think the 03 hood is just a "dual" version of the 99 lol

as long as it doesn't look like this .................

Copy_of_P1010016.jpg

that's embarrassing :nonono:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
imo it should be all go, no show... :rockon:

the dodge hellcats have a nice heat extractor on each side. but they also have a huge non-functional gaping scoop in the middle, just for looks I guess. at least they get air from inside the headlight lol

I liked the 1969 dodge six pack super bee hood scoop. now THAT scoop was functional! except maybe in the rain lol

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
I like the SLP firehawk. I've been looking at them on eBay the past few weeks. The double snorkel looks better than the quad ram air hood on the ws6.

image_zpsk2qndsgj.png

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
I like the WS6 hood.

The WS6 is fine if your a young gun wanting an attention grabbing car. As you get older driving around in a car that makes this kind of statement a bit embarrassing. As I use to say busting them on our Pontiac Firebird fans: "the WS6 is a car only a high school kid could love". This is all subjective of course but I think riding around in a Terminator is a lot more "dignified"

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The WS6 is fine if your a young gun wanting an attention grabbing car. As you get older driving around in a car that makes this kind of statement a bit embarrassing. As I use to say busting them on our Pontiac Firebird fans: "the WS6 is a car only a high school kid could love". This is all subjective of course but I think riding around in a Terminator is a lot more "dignified"

Cobras make the exact same kind of statement. Maybe you need to look around more when you drive around. I get tons of looks when driving my Cobra. I had a few thumbs up when towing it this past weekend. If you're not into GM that's fine. But some of us like the WS6 set up.

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Cobras make the exact same kind of statement. Maybe you need to look around more when you drive around. I get tons of looks when driving my Cobra. I had a few thumbs up when towing it this past weekend. If you're not into GM that's fine. But some of us like the WS6 set up.

Your Cobra gets a tons of looks because it's a rare handsome car that probably sounds like it will take your lunch money. The WS6 gets attention because of it's bold styling, a Harley Division gets lots of looks because most of them are soo loud people can't help wondering what's making their ears bleed not because they love the machine. People buy H2 Hummers just as a fashion statement. People look at cars for many different reasons. Nothing wrong will liking the WS6 if your into that kind of look.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
Cobras aren't rare by any means they have made alot of them. I see less machs than cobras including 03/04

I think that depends on the area. I see more Mach's than Cobras around here. I rarely see a 99/01 Cobra. If I do see a Cobra it's usually an 03/04.

Users who are viewing this thread