Hydraulic Clutch Conversion

DoinWork

Established Member
So just got back in a cobra after 5 years of being without and the clutch is already killing my knee after 3 days. A hydraulic clutch is going to be a must. I know McLeod sells a lot for about $600, but apparently it takes some fabrication for it to work on the 4v cars.

Anyone have any experience installing one or can point me in the direction of people who have who can shed some light on what all they had to do, how hard it was, how long it took weland howl it's holding up?

Also if anyone is in the Louisville KY area that would be interested in doing the work?

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Also interested in this for my Coyote fox swap. Have been planning to also do the hydraulic conversion but I’d love to hear from those who have done it.
-J

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
What clutch is currently in the car? Switching to a lighter clutch might be all you need.

This.

I'm not sure what's all involved in a conversion....but I can tell you if you are currently running a factory clutch, and decide to upgrade to a twin disk like the RXT....the pedal effort will feel like hydraulic. I daily'd an '04 with factory clutch for 4 years, so I had a good comparison point when I got an RXT. It is ten times easier to depress. Very much like the hydraulic clutch's I had in my vettes...so much so, it's hard to believe there's a cable down there. Been driving that RXT for 8 years now.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I can't recall any positive reviews of that hydraulic setup.

I would also say to look into different clutch kits, the RXT has a VERY light pedal. When I put mine in I ended up kicking the floor board on first start up because it went down waaaaay easier than I was anticipating. Keep in mind (unless something has changed) the RST is NOT intended for track use and will glaze compared to the RXT.

DoinWork

Established Member
The car currently has a brand new spec stage 3 clutch in it.

If I were to go with the RTX twin disc it would be more expensive than getting the hydraulic conversion. The conversion kit is $600. Installation is $500-600.

The RTX is $930 plus install and they will have to shave the trans for a twin disc to work and from there on out only twin disc will work from what I've been told. Labor will end up being about the same I'm assuming...

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
The car currently has a brand new spec stage 3 clutch in it.

If I were to go with the RTX twin disc it would be more expensive than getting the hydraulic conversion. The conversion kit is $600. Installation is $500-600.

The RTX is $930 plus install and they will have to shave the trans for a twin disc to work and from there on out only twin disc will work from what I've been told. Labor will end up being about the same I'm assuming...

You should be able to sell the Spec setup, they have high pedal effort from everything I know.

The RXT will likely be available cheaper on black friday sales that are damned near already starting.

You do NOT shave the trans...never heard of that before. The RXT requires and adjustable pivot ball set to the correct height, thats it

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
have the 3+ with the billet PP and light pedal effort option. It's not Honda Civic wimpy, but it's much better than dump truck stock. Anyone who sat in the car and pushed the pedal groaned about how stiff it was. Might be worth looking into for a little cost savings at least on parts if it's just a matter of swapping PP's assuming the clutch disc is pretty fresh.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
The Magnum case needs to be shaved for the dual disc. The regular T-56 doesn't need any machining or shaving.

Spec made a 3+ with the light pedal option at one time. A buddy had it in his Mach 1. He had a bad knee and that clutch was easy for him.

I doubt you need a dual disc, but there are better options than what you have now. As for the cost, you're looking at a $600 conversion plus whatever install is. You'll be close to if not over $900 in no time.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I liked the 3+ Spec MUCH better than the regular Spec 3 in my TKO/Fox.
Did you mean a Magnum in a Cobra won’t accommodate a dual disc clutch?
Options are to shave the Magnum case or keep a T56?
RSG Tranzilla is basically a Magnum in a T56 case, so that might work.
I prefer a dual disc for bigger power.
-J

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
It’s been a few years since we did mine, are you taking about fork clearance? I don’t remember what we did off hand but everything was done with basic ass tools in my home garage

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I liked the 3+ Spec MUCH better than the regular Spec 3 in my TKO/Fox.
Did you mean a Magnum in a Cobra won’t accommodate a dual disc clutch?
Options are to shave the Magnum case or keep a T56?
RSG Tranzilla is basically a Magnum in a T56 case, so that might work.
I prefer a dual disc for bigger power.
-J

In order to run a dual disc clutch with the Magnum in a Cobra the ribs behind the clutch fork need to be clearanced. Otherwise the fork doesn't have enough throw. It's pretty well documented on here and is just one of those things.

I like my RXT. I've even been stuck in traffic with it. But not everyone is after big power and needs a $1200 clutch.

cj428mach

Established Member
In order to run a dual disc clutch with the Magnum in a Cobra the ribs behind the clutch fork need to be clearanced. Otherwise the fork doesn't have enough throw. It's pretty well documented on here and is just one of those things.

Or buy a DYAD and have no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread