Hurricane Dorian

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Look up webcams once we know track, Florida coast is littered with them
Best of luck guys...

Though I'll be honest, I have always wanted to see what the ocean looks like just prior to an arm breaking land. Got close one time and it was otherworldly.

Sent from my SM-N975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
good luck fellas, glad this m'fer doesn't look like its headed to the gulf....

giphy.gif

nxhappy

Established Member
welp... hope my Tampa house is ok LOL. I wont be there =/
hope all u FL bro's make it OK

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member

As much as I hate to say it, so true. For me to flood it would take Noah rounding up two of each species. Wind is what I don't like because not only do I live near woods but my neighbors don't do a thing about their trees. Two houses over Lurch (always walks head down and never says hello) has a pine tree like 30 Rock during Xmas. It'll miss my house but it'll take out my neighbor along with utility lines. Then I'll have to sue.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
This might be a rough one...

I'm a little nervous about my roof at this point though, ordered a couple tarps on amazon just in case

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Think I have about 20-30 plastic Jugs in the attic for the lack of bottled water issue. I just fill them beforehand and good to go. Charleston gets a scare every year or two.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
This might be a rough one...

I'm a little nervous about my roof at this point though, ordered a couple tarps on amazon just in case

Yea, I have a new house, hopefully built to code, but if this sumbitch is a cat 4 then I don't know what to expect. And the track is up in the air, so not sure if going south would be better or not for my families safety.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My family in Florida got hit by the last one in Panama City. Four adults and even more kids. They literally had to bust through the wood flooring to take cover as the house was being torn apart. Some of them are said to have some pretty bad nightmares still. My uncle had to tell his 15 year old son to grow the hell up now for the kids sake. Sounds like a pretty scare experience. All the trees were gone and the house had to be demolished. When they say evacuate...it's a good idea.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
My family in Florida got hit by the last one in Panama City. Four adults and even more kids. They literally had to bust through the wood flooring to take cover as the house was being torn apart. Some of them are said to have some pretty bad nightmares still. My uncle had to tell his 15 year old son to grow the hell up now for the kids sake. Sounds like a pretty scare experience. All the trees were gone and the house had to be demolished. When they say evacuate...it's a good idea.
PCB/ Mexico Beach looked like someone took a weed whacker to any tree taller than 10' after Michael

ALWAYS PLAN FOR ONE CATEGORY HIGHER THAN FORECASTED AT LANDFALL.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Yea, I have a new house, hopefully built to code, but if this sumbitch is a cat 4 then I don't know what to expect. And the track is up in the air, so not sure if going south would be better or not for my families safety.
We went through a high 4 (Charley) almost Cat 5 15 years, it wasn't fun. I went outside as the eye was passing over, it's a very weird thing. A direct hit suck, as you get beat by one side and then the eye passes and you get beat up from the other direction.

850SNCobra

Established Member
Went to PCB a few months ago for a ThunderBeach Bikefest and they're still recovering, while majority of the town/city has recovered there's signs from the Michael all over the city.

I hope this storm decides to go back East or Panama City might get wiped out completely especially if this thing is going to jump to a Cat 4.

mysticsvt

southernmustangandford
Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Went to PCB a few months ago for a ThunderBeach Bikefest and they're still recovering, while majority of the town/city has recovered there's signs from the Michael all over the city.

I hope this storm decides to go back East or Panama City might get wiped out completely especially if this thing is going to jump to a Cat 4.
My Wife's uncle and Aunt are still not back into their house...STILL!

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
We went through a high 4 (Charley) almost Cat 5 15 years, it wasn't fun. I went outside as the eye was passing over, it's a very weird thing. A direct hit suck, as you get beat by one side and then the eye passes and you get beat up from the other direction.

Yea, the eye is an odd phenomenon.

Went through it with Wilma and another one. Went outside, let the dogs pee and then went back in 15~mins later.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member
Pardon me while I rant a little.

There is a million dollar reward for anyone that can solve the fundamental set of equations that defines meteorology (it's at the center of all weather models); it is impossible to solve, more variables than terms. In order to "solve" it, we break down the atmosphere in to different spatial scales. At the planetary scale we assume certain variables to be certain values (or eliminate them altogether). When you go down smaller spatial scales to say continental scale we do the same thing but for different variables in the equations. Again, go down to even smaller spatial scales like regional systems or even smaller (like individual thunderstorms) and again assume a different set of variables in the equation to be certain values or eliminate them.

That's fine and dandy for "regular" weather but we can't do this process for hurricanes. Now when I say fine and dandy, I mean "still hard as ****." The first guy to make a numerical weather prediction (mathematically solve the governing equations) for two points for a six hour forecast took OVER 6 WEEKS to calculate by hand. However, hurricanes require all variables/processes/interactions from EVERY spatial scale to be accounted for. So imagine the amount of calculations and how long that would take to do by hand... years

So give meteorologists a break, especially with hurricanes.

Users who are viewing this thread