Hughes Gen 5 Satellite Internet

Sn8kebitten

Established Member
Hughes Net sucks. I haven’t tried the Gen 5 stuff, but for the 5 years I split the bill before I moved out of my parents house, it was horrible. Was our only option in the county they live in in KY, and I would have to take my phone off WiFi just to load a YouTube video. It’s basically only good for loading web pages. And only if you use it a few hours a day. Since ours was limited to 15Gb a month (but a separate pool of 15Gb between like 2am and 8am)

B0B

Established Member
8ADA6E84-D3F0-41E5-A2A3-E501BB0C6C39.png

I have Hughes net gen 5. We are currently out of data so it slows down to this speed. I’m pretty sure my data renews tomorrow. I’ll run another speed test and update then. It’s better than nothing.

KingBlack

I'm more stupid than I post
Established Member
I would suggest hanging off for a bit in hopes that 5g comes to you sooner than later. the idea behind 5g is the (almost) elimination of latency along with extremely high bandwidth. the idea is so that a doctor in California can perform surgery on a patient in Montana, or perform surgery with robotics in the ambulance at the scene of an accident remotely, saving time and possibly lives.

5g's downfall is that their towers are short range vs 4g and more susceptible to weather and its environment. these are know issues, so expect to see a lot of these towers pop up. The point being, regardless of your location, 5g should be near you soon and open you up to broadband on a new level

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I was at 1st like man thats screaming, what's the issue??!! oh wait, that a K not an M. Ouch.

I like others, had it for a while just after DSL, and before cable was strung though our industrial park. It was expensive, and bad. I guess the question is if it has gotten any better and if they have any QOS (quality of service), which I assume not.

I guess the question is: is it better than this?

View attachment 1535856

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I was at 1st like man thats screaming, what's the issue??!! oh wait, that a K not an M. Ouch.

I like others, had it for a while just after DSL, and before cable was strung though our industrial park. It was expensive, and bad. I guess the question is if it has gotten any better and if they have any QOS (quality of service), which I assume not.

I thought the same exact thing, then noticed the K as well lol. I know people that had Hughes and they all hated it. I moved into my new house in September and we have fiber. I don't know how I'll ever go back to anything else now that I'm spoiled.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Not sure if AT&T is still doing it, but I have what's called a Home base. It was only offered up to select states and for rural areas only. I get 250 gig of high speed internet for 60 a month. I can game online with it. It uses cellular data. I can also stream Netflix at 1080 with no issue.

I do also have a cell phone signal booster as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigja01cobra

Established Member
I use an extra cell phone on my att unlimited cell plan, it is an Iphone 5 that I jailbroke and have tethered to a wireless bridge which then sends ethernet and wifi for the entire house. I only get 10mbs per second mainly due to cell signal quality but it works fine.

We switched from Old Hughesnet mainly because you cannot connect to Security system externally with Hughesnet, we only use Internet for shopping, bill paying, occasional youtube, and security camera setup. Only issue is you have to reset the Iphone often as it locks up and stops being tethered sometimes it works for weeks other times it has to be reset several times a day.

ATT unlimited is truly unlimited in my area as we are not population dense so never really get a slow down even after using over 55GB of data (at 22gb they slow you down). But if I have to travel to a big city with my data overage it does severely limit it.

Users who are viewing this thread