HP Tuners Question

mrspeedy69

W.O.R.D.
Established Member
I'm in the middle of my Cobra build and reached out to a local tuner here that has built some pretty badass cars.

I was planning on him tuning my car as he's done several 03/04 cobras before. However they aren't an SCT shop so they want to use HP Tuners. Now I have an SCT x4 but can always sell it. I guess my questions is are there any pro's con's of them using HP Tuners instead of SCT?

Will I still be able to have multiple tunes? I now before I'd load them on the x4 and load what I wanted. With this I won't have a handheld so am I stuck with whatever tune they put on it?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I keep multiple tunes on my SCT. 93 is easy to come by in my area. When I go to SC, a lot of places only have 91. When there are storms, or other tragedies that impact fuel refineries the pumps here all switch to 87 octane only.

I have a tune for each octane.

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
does the N gauge work with our older cars? I would talk to the shop about how you can swap tunes - ie does it require a laptop etc...

I also have valet mode tunes with RPM and speed limiters which come in handy on top of my 93 and E85 tunes

Zemedici

Established Member
I plan on running e85 most of the time. However it's not always available so I want a conservative 91 tune so its drivable. Also want a valet tune for when I take the car in for alignments and things like that.

keep in mind if you have an aggressive pulley setup for the E85, and you're on the 91 tune, you gotta have some crazy self control....unless you're wanting to swap pulleys.

gt347mustang

Established Member
NGauge is necessary to tune 03/04's and can hold multiple tunes. You can't straight flash the pcm using the mvpi like most other vehicles.

silver_cobra_01

Established Member
Probably stupid, but why not call the shop and ask if they create multiple tunes, and if so, how to go about loading them? HPTuners is also very responsive to emails, so may be worth asking them.

GodStang

Established Member
HP can not tune 03-04 Cobra's just yet. From my understanding it may be soon.

NGauge is necessary to tune 03/04's and can hold multiple tunes. You can't straight flash the pcm using the mvpi like most other vehicles.

I am not sure what you are saying but you dont need NGauge to tune an 03/04. I have been running Multiple tunes for 13 years and have never had NGauge.

Curt@injected

I do not use hptuners on the older fords so I could be incorrect but I believe most of the EEC-IV applications are supported now by them and require an NGauge to tune with. They can not be direct flashed and if that is the case, yes an NGauge can hold multiple tune files.

GodStang

Established Member
He's already tuned several with HP Tuners. Their website even says 03/04 cobras are supported.

Sweet my buddy Is an an HP tuner and I remember him saying they released the 99-04 Mustang but thought he said there was something else to finalize it. It is cool they finally got it out.

gt347mustang

Established Member
HP can not tune 03-04 Cobra's just yet. From my understanding it may be soon.

Incorrect. I've tuned 03/04 cobras with an nGauge. First one was over a year ago.

not sure what you are saying but you dont need NGauge to tune an 03/04. I have been running Multiple tunes for 13 years and have never had NGauge.

Reread the title and first post by the op. We're talking about HP tuners here, not other devices.

GodStang

Established Member
Incorrect. I've tuned 03/04 cobras with an nGauge. First one was over a year ago.

Reread the title and first post by the op. We're talking about HP tuners here, not other devices.

Ya I realized that later on. I read quick and saw the next few posts were all talking SCT. I posted up. Also in my defense you began tuning on a beta version it was not "Officially Released". I did not know that they were finally Official great to know.

HPTuners

Established Member
Hello everyone, hopefully I can provide some insight here.

If you are going to have a tune with HP Tuners software done by your tuner, they will flash it to the vehicle and as you mentioned without the device you will not be able to swap between tunes. The nGauge is an option for you because it does allow you to store multiple tunes on the device that you can switch between.
Another alternative would be to buy your own MPVI2 device. In this case you would need a laptop to switch the tunes but it would still be possible. I would make sure to speak with your tuner if you wish to go this route so that they can license the vehicle on your MPVI2, instead of the MPVI2 they have for the shop, so that you don't need to license the vehicle twice.

The 03-04 Cobra support has been added quite recently, but yes it is supported.

decipha

Established Member
why not just buy a moates quarterhorse and tune it for free with tunerpro? Far greater datalogging and you have complete access to everything.

realtime tuning is far superior to flashing, I can write a tune in 10 seconds flat while the engine is running and im driving it

gt347mustang

Established Member
aternative would be to buy your own MPVI2 device. In this case you would need a laptop to switch the tunes but it would still be possible. I would make sure to speak with your tuner if you wish to go this route so that they can license the vehicle on your MPVI2, instead of the MPVI2 they have for the shop, so that you don't need to license the vehicle twice.

The 03-04 Cobra support has been added quite recently, but yes it is supported.

Logging on the original mvpi and nGauge was extremely disappointing on 2004 and earlier ecus. On the mvpi2 have changes been made to fix that?

HPTuners

Established Member
Logging on the original mvpi and nGauge was extremely disappointing on 2004 and earlier ecus. On the mvpi2 have changes been made to fix that?

What did you find disappointing about it ? The MPVI2 has a lot more storage space on it which should help with some logging functions. There is also changes made to the VCM Scanner software pretty frequently so depending on which version you were using some things could be different. You can see the changes to the different versions on our VCM Scanner change log VCM Scanner Help

As for how the nGauge has changed I do not have much information. The nGauge is made by a company called eMotion not HP Tuners, so although they probably have frequent updates, I'm not sure how they may affect logging capabilities.

Users who are viewing this thread