HP Estimate? Built Engine, 2.9 @26-27PSI, E85

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member
I have the stock caged lower and a griptec 2.75 upper pulley.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I wonder if you’ll experience anything like Malcolm’s fiasco. Granted, you’re running less compression but could still have adverse effects on the cage support. Time will tell.

01yellercobra

AKA slo984now
Established Member
I wonder if you’ll experience anything like Malcolm’s fiasco. Granted, you’re running less compression but could still have adverse effects on the cage support. Time will tell.

I think Malcolm attributed his to the faster revving engine. Or he might have just been unlucky. I know a guy with the gen 3 that beats on his car like it owes him money and he's never had a lower pulley issue.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
SAE or STD? STD and a friendly Dyno probably 780-800 if you can keep that much boost cool. SAE I would think 750s. Your issue will be the stock noncrusher inlet.

Some pulls definitely get hotter than others obviously. low side by the top of a pull is mid to high 140s and high 170s on others. Are you referencing the standard inlet not being able to flow that much boost?? So far with a good belt on there is is holding above 26 PSI to 7000 RPM.

What happened with his support?

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member
I think Malcolm attributed his to the faster revving engine. Or he might have just been unlucky. I know a guy with the gen 3 that beats on his car like it owes him money and he's never had a lower pulley issue.

Right, a consequence of his 10.5:1 (I believe that’s what it was?) snappy motor.

I also have a Gen III 2.9 Crusher with another short lived snapped crank story to tell

I need to start a separate thread on that since I’m sure most people would enjoy reading about it.

GodStang

Established Member
Some pulls definitely get hotter than others obviously. low side by the top of a pull is mid to high 140s and high 170s on others. Are you referencing the standard inlet not being able to flow that much boost?? So far with a good belt on there is is holding above 26 PSI to 7000 RPM.

Standard inlet flows 1200cfm and your setup should be I think ~1800cfm depending on final pulley config. You will get the psi but your setup will be working harder making more heat causing more issues.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Standard inlet flows 1200cfm and your setup should be I think ~1800cfm depending on final pulley config. You will get the psi but your setup will be working harder making more heat causing more issues.

Yes, that is what I figured in my head as well but just wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at as well. I may turn the boost down once I get some seat time in the car anyway. It may be a little too much to get traction with at lower speeds. I may turn the boost down to get better traction at lower speeds then just use nitrous to bring in more power once wheel speed picks up a little and traction isn't as much of an issue.

GodStang

Established Member
Yes, that is what I figured in my head as well but just wasn't sure if that's what you were getting at as well. I may turn the boost down once I get some seat time in the car anyway. It may be a little too much to get traction with at lower speeds. I may turn the boost down to get better traction at lower speeds then just use nitrous to bring in more power once wheel speed picks up a little and traction isn't as much of an issue.

Now every setup is different but many many times on a standard inlet I have seen pulleyed for ~24psi make more power than pulleyed for ~26-27psi for the fact you are more in the blowers efficiency range.

04OWwhipple

Established Member
Now every setup is different but many many times on a standard inlet I have seen pulleyed for ~24psi make more power than pulleyed for ~26-27psi for the fact you are more in the blowers efficiency range.

Makes sense more heat and more power being used to turn it that hard so I could see that happening.

03CRUSHER

Established Member
Premium Member

I believe he snapped like a half dozen or so caged supports. Sheared the pulley right off.

dmaxk

Established Member
Not that this helps much but stock block whipple 2.9 gen 4 crusher 95lb injectors/water meth/E85 @21 lbs just made 775/654.
I would guess you would break the 800 mark.

GodStang

Established Member
Not that this helps much but stock block whipple 2.9 gen 4 crusher 95lb injectors/water meth/E85 @21 lbs just made 775/654.
I would guess you would break the 800 mark.

SAE or STD? That Torque is really low.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
that torque is kind of low, I would expect it to be well into 700

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I'm a bit surprised at all the 800 guesses. I've not seen a gen 2 2.9 make that much with stock heads/cams.....even with that modest compression bump.

But I hope it does. Even if it doesn't, that nitrous hit will make whatever the dyno number is seem pretty trivial lol. Oh shit!

GodStang

Established Member
I'm a bit surprised at all the 800 guesses. I've not seen a gen 2 2.9 make that much with stock heads/cams.....even with that modest compression bump.

But I hope it does. Even if it doesn't, that nitrous hit will make whatever the dyno number is seem pretty trivial lol. Oh shit!

You and me both but with the right dyno you can get STD numbers up there.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
You and me both but with the right dyno you can get STD numbers up there.

I hear you on that......but I kind have had the dyno "baked in" to my guess....because it was already stated it made 710 and I'm assuming he's going to redyno on same rollers. Then new motor, same displacement, same factory head/cam....+5 psi and +.8 compression. That's my basis for adding 55. 710 + 55 = 765.

I don't see it adding 90.

04OWwhipple

Established Member

You may be right, I honestly dont know. I figured 800 based on my making 710 before but I really have no idea. Honestly I don't care really want it makes, I just want the engine to be happy and I'll be content with whatever it makes! I will take it back to the same dyno when I get there in the near future hopefully.

I can't wait to spray it!! I figured I'll ramp the nitrous in around 60 MPH so it won't just blow the tires off hopefully. I'll be messing with jets too as I have 35 up to 150 HP jets for E85

Users who are viewing this thread