HP Decline At 5K RPM

NGO

Established Member
Have an opportunity to buy a terminator with 46K on her. Problem is, the HP severally declines starting at 5K RPM (470 HP) and is at 300 HP at around 5.8K RPM. The torque continues to climb to 481.

The car has 3" pulley 74" belt. In the pics, don't see any cusom idlers so I am thinking it might be belt slip.

Question is, for $15,500 would you take the plunge? Thanks for any inputs.

perry2k12

Established Member
That's about the exact mileage and deal I picked my car up for. Chances are that if it has a smaller upper pulley and no snub idler (the aftermarket idler that sits directly beside the upper), than it has a lot of belt slip and that would explain the drop of power. Check the engine bay for belt dust. But yes, it is a good price if the engine isn't hurt.

Do you have a link to the car?

stang910

Established Member
I think your looking at the graph wrong. Torque can't continue to climb and hp fall off........ just not going to happen. Anytime tq is increasing so will hp. It would make more sense to me that your looking at your tq and hp lines backwards.

NGO

Established Member
I think your looking at the graph wrong. Torque can't continue to climb and hp fall off........ just not going to happen. Anytime tq is increasing so will hp. It would make more sense to me that your looking at your tq and hp lines backwards.

Bingo... I am a DA. The HP and torque are so close in values I got fooled by the label on the dyno sheet. Thanks for staightening this newbee out... won't be the last time.

Users who are viewing this thread