How to tell real/authentic wheels

dlaude

Established Member
I recently bought a '98 Cobra with '00R wheels on it. The seller said they are 'authentic' 2000 Cobra R wheels. How would I be able to confirm this? I'm not sure if he means "authentic" as in came off of a 2000 R, or just an FRPP reproduction, or something else. They do have the red R centercap, so I got that going for me haha. They are the silver/painted versions, not chrome. They are 18" wheels. I looked for any sort of stamping on the wheel but didn't see anything too obvious, but I didn't take the wheel off. I'm not sure of the width - there are 275/35 tires on them, but that doesn't tell me wheel width. Is there a way to measure this with the tire on there (if the width is required for any confirmation)? Any help is appreciated!

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
There should be raise letters on each side of the valve stem. No letters, then they are fake. Otherwise, they are FRPP or original.

Tom

dlaude

Established Member
Bummer, think mine are fake then. Not really surprised lol. I am looking in the correct location, correct? (see image) Now, next question, what is the approximate value for 'fake' ones? About $150/wheel? I think they're 18x9 or 9.5. Pretty decent condition. Just a rough figure.

10458393_10104258892312480_8797875631014356717_n.jpg

dlaude

Established Member
I did some searching prior to making my initial post, but apparently it wasn't thorough enough. I did find that the '95R wheels had the 50/58 stamp next to the valve stem, but I couldn't confirm that the '00R wheels did as well - so thanks Tom. Also, upon further review, it seems I'd be lucky to get $150/wheel for fake ones. Tires have about 500 miles on them, So I'm thinking $800-$900 for the set would be a fair price. Thoughts?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Tom, my original wheels and my spare set do NOT have any type of markings or raised letters near the valve stem, yet I can assure you the set on the car is original.

dlaude

Established Member
Tom, my original wheels and my spare set do NOT have any type of markings or raised letters near the valve stem, yet I can assure you the set on the car is original.

Hm, perhaps he was thinking '95R wheel then. Are there any markings on them at all visible? Or just on the inside?

I'd look on the back side of the spokes. It should say Ford i'd think.

Yeah, I think that's my next thought as well. I THINK your brother was the previous owner of this car, btw. Did he live in/sell it out of the Elgin area?

Dlaude, the best way the check is take a wheel off and look for ford markings and a part #

Gotcha, thanks Dave!

TERMINATED97

Established Member
If so then yes. That was his car. That car is extremely clean. He was going to buy it back from him but then decided not to

dlaude

Established Member
Oh really? You bought that car from Adam?

If so then yes. That was his car. That car is extremely clean. He was going to buy it back from him but then decided not to

Yep, bought it from Adam. Actually PMd your brother the other day about some questions on the history of it. Doesn't seem like he gets on here much though lol.

Also OEM ones were all 9.5"s

Thanks. Did they make fake ones in 9.5"?

Sounds like I have to jack it up to get a wheel off to get a good look. Don't think I'll have time until the weekend or even next week though, bummer. Oh well, going in storage soon anyway.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
My apologies. I thought I remember the 00R rims having the same raised letters as the 95s. Damn, I hate this getting old shit!

Tom

dlaude

Established Member
View attachment 27485

View attachment 27484

this should appear on the back of the spokes

Oh awesome, thanks!

Stick your hand in the wheel well and snap a couple pictures.

LOL. Thought of that, didn't try it out yet. Didn't think it'd actually work, but since someone else is recommending it, it may actually work. Stay tuned! LOL.

My apologies. I thought I remember the 00R rims having the same raised letters as the 95s. Damn, I hate this getting old shit!

Tom

haha, no worries Tom.

Am I correct in assuming that, like the '95R wheels, there's no way to distinguish between take-offs and FRPP wheels?

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
If my memory is working correctly, that statement is true for take-offs and FRPP rims. However, there was a short period of time when FRPP offered a 95R rim that did NOT have the raised letters to offer a cheaper rim.

Tom

dlaude

Established Member
If my memory is working correctly, that statement is true for take-offs and FRPP rims. However, there was a short period of time when FRPP offered a 95R rim that did NOT have the raised letters to offer a cheaper rim.

Tom

Gotcha, thanks!

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member

Tom

Tom,

I think those cheaper rims were only 8" wide also. I got some for a friend of mine for his daughter's V-6 Mustang just for looks, but I don't remember about the raised letters on the 8" wheels. The SVT dealer (Gene Evans Ford) said the 8" (M-1007-R50) weren't as strong as the 9" (M-1007-R58) versions.

Gene Boc.

dlaude

Established Member
I swapped wheels yesterday, ironically with TERMINATED97, and when I had them off I saw the Ford logo, part number, and wheel dimensions. So, they are, in fact, authentic. Thanks for the help all!

Users who are viewing this thread