How to tell if a whipple needs a rebuild.

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
Just got a whipple 2.3 for my cobra and I can't wait to put it in!
But being me I always over think things but was wondering if there were any tell tale signs of a blower needing a rebuild. It's a gen 1 whipple not sure on the miles but it was on a good friend of mines car and he has never had any problems with it. I've heard it running numerous times no odd sounds or anything. I will only pulley it to 18-19 psi and run pump gas only .
Any pictures or advice would be awesome. The blower is off the car so I'm getting a pretty good veiw of everything.
Let me know what I should look for , Thanks I'm advance!

cj428mach

Established Member
I would check for the following
Rotor contact/wear
Case contact/wear
loose bearings/deflection
Noise
then if you really want to you can pop the snout off and check it as some of them have a weak coupler installed. You can buy the upgraded one.

Relax you have a Whipple it'll probably be fine, now if it was a KB I'd say just send it off to have a rebuild done, lol. :burn:

TerminatorSVT03

Established Member
Rotor contact/wear
Case contact/wear
Noise
then if you really want to you can pop the snout off and check it as some of them have a weak coupler installed. You can buy the upgraded one.

Relax you have a Whipple it'll probably be fine, now if it was a KB I'd say just send it off to have a rebuild done, lol. :burn:

Thanks for the heads up man.
I'm taking the snout off soon to polish it so I'll be sure to check the coupler out. I can order an upgraded one from whipple I assume ?

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member

Rotor contact/wear

Case contact/wear

Noise

What does the upgraded coupler look like? Just curious, just got my 2.3 Whipple and have the snout off so I might as well check

cj428mach

Established Member
You'll have to do a search on it. I think the guys that bought the "upgraded" coupler said its looks the same but its recommended by whipple for higher boost levels. I think the post was in the engine section.

Also to the OP if you have any questions email Whipple they're really good about getting back to you. You can send them pics and everything and they'll get you straightened out.

sabotage

corn fed!!!!!!
Established Member
Yes please check the coupler at least ...its straight forward when taking it apart...I got a wild hair one day before the dyno and check mine and found cracks in it luckily my tuner was in fresno ca so I stoped at whipple for the new high boost coupler and installed it in the whipple parking lot lol....I believe their like 80 $ but can save you hundreds. ...they told me to check it every 3000 miles depending on abuse.

Users who are viewing this thread