How to tell a true Cobra from a fake??

03trubluGT

Established Member
I had a black 'vert "Cobra?" playing with me on the highway today on the way to work, and I happily obliged.... I pulled away from him, and when he passed me, I noticed that his rear bumper cover had "Mustang" instead of "Cobra" impressed on it. Is this the way they came in '99 or is it possibly a fake Cobra?

I have the VIN 1fafp46v8xf154405, is there anyway to tell if it was a real Cobra from the VIN???

Thanks,
Matt

ModularDepot P&P upper intake plenum
Accell Kool Blue Filter w/ Snorkel removed

254.6 RWHP 293 RWTQ

green cobra

yea the 99 cobras had mustang in the back ....the only thing that set it apart in the back was it had svt ......the decals on the sides of the car....the hood.....and the lights in the front...im not sure bout the vin

RioRed4v

Established Member
two things...

1) how the hell did you pull a cobra with only 250rwhp?? i think he was missing the driver mod.

2) how did you come across his vin number??

and yea, my 99 says mustang on the back of it.

03trubluGT

Established Member
Originally posted by RioRed4v
two things...

1) how the hell did you pull a cobra with only 250rwhp?? i think he was missing the driver mod.

1) The car is a 99, and didn't look well taken care of (ragged out). Maybe he was missing the driver mod, or no telling how many people have dogged the car since '99. I didn't say I walked him, just pulled maybe a 1/2 car.

2) You can run Texas plates over www.publicdata.com and get all kinds of good info. That's why my cars register to my P.O. Box... try finding me or my family in a cubby hole...

Thanks for the info, I had run across a Fobra last weekend in Ennis, and I was just curious about this one. I figured if it was real, I would have gotten smoked....

Matt

99SVTcobraVERT

well first of all his torque and power is more than enough to pull a 99 cobra, the gt is lighter with the live axle than the IRS. then take into account that its 200lbs or so more on top of that vs the coupe... the cobra came in at least beefy 3600lbs w/o driver. the gt was in the area of 3200 w/o driver. if the 99 was stock, the power band alone would make his gt pull him at least thru 1/4 mile, after that the cobra MIGHT pull past him around 115 or so, when top end becomes a factor. there is a lot more than hp to take into account when pitting the dohc vs the sohc. its just how they both make power... its two totally different beasts.... not to mention the weight factor... its said that for every 100lbs it is equal to 10rwhp. im confident with his mods and in this situation that he most certainly DID pull a 99 cobra.

99SVTcobraVERT

mike, who did your turbo set up? all and all how much did it cost you to do this set up? 8psi and only 116 trap, must have been on street tires can tell that from 60ft or bad launch. can you send pics??? i have many questions

03trubluGT

Established Member
Originally posted by NOScobra2001
well first of all his torque and power is more than enough to pull a 99 cobra, the gt is lighter with the live axle than the IRS. then take into account that its 200lbs or so more on top of that vs the coupe... the cobra came in at least beefy 3600lbs w/o driver. the gt was in the area of 3200 w/o driver. if the 99 was stock, the power band alone would make his gt pull him at least thru 1/4 mile, after that the cobra MIGHT pull past him around 115 or so, when top end becomes a factor. there is a lot more than hp to take into account when pitting the dohc vs the sohc. its just how they both make power... its two totally different beasts.... not to mention the weight factor... its said that for every 100lbs it is equal to 10rwhp. im confident with his mods and in this situation that he most certainly DID pull a 99 cobra.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, when I weighed my car in Ennis (Motorplex scales) with 3/4 tank of gas, jack, tire, rear seat, and a small soft cooler with drinks and a digital camera bag, it weighed 3280.

And like I said, the vert did not look taken care of. Oh, I forgot to mention the 8 to 9 year old that I didn't see in his front seat when we started. If I had seen the kid I never would have responded to his teasing me. It was only when he passed me when I let off I saw the kid's head looking over his passenger door at me. I was mad at him for even acting like that with a child in the car.

Matt

PS, I did not come to the board to troll, I apologize if anyone took my post to be such.

Cobra4pt6

Banned
the easiest way to tell is by looking at the rear. the cobra has it's tail pipes running underneather the IRS, they appear to be almost touching the ground. a GT's tailpipes run over the live axle and there are no pipes thats appears to be touching the ground.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Also 99 model cobra's had intake and exhaust issues. Maybe that cobra never had the ford updates done to it!

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by RioRed4v
two things...

might those be "Mustang" dyno numbers?....if so it would make more sense.....

99SVTcobraVERT

na those numbers sound more like dyno jet, quick, go back and read what i said about it. he beat the 99 cobra, no doubt in my mind... good 400lbs lighter off the bat, stronger low end power and close to same rwhp numbers and the fact that its beat up equals a kill in anyone's book... 10rwhp for every 100lbs and its about right!

03trubluGT

Established Member
I don't go looking for Mustangs to race, but this guy was asking for it. I was fully ready to get whipped. I'd really rather not race against another stang, but I gave in to temptation.

I originally wanted to get a A/C Cobra replica, but when my wife decided we needed a bigger house, I bought the GT to passify my desires until I retire and build my project Cobra the way I want to!!

Then you all can BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But, I have 13 years to go, so you're safe for now.....

Matt

BTW, the numbers are Dyno-Jet SAE corrected...

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
Maybe he was in a lower gear, and there are alot of variables, and I like how everyone is bashing the 99, even thought it is the same car as the 01.

03trubluGT

Established Member
I envy the '99, and don't want to "bash" ANY Cobra. I just wanted to find out if it was a real one. I want to put the 99 Cobra taillights in my GT because I like the turn signals being yellow and the brake lights red. Studies have proven that drivers respond better to the difference in colors and there are fewer rear-end collisions in cars with that set up. I don't want a Fobra, I just prefer to have my turn signals a different color (and I don't like that when you are stopped with a signal, instead of 2 bright red warning lights, you only have one solid bright red (brake) light and one flashing red light).

Matt

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
I understand that you werent trying to bash the 99's, but some of the 01 owners on the board were. I personally wouldnt care what you did do to your car, just as long as it was tasteful, lol if you were trying to phony a cobra. And if it had some mods to represent like a cobra. lol.

99SVTcobraVERT

99...i had (2) 1999 cobra's...the first one i only had for 2 weeks when i dyno it and saw what it made, it was quickly sold. then bought a 1999 convt, it was strong for 99 (made 278rwhp 279rwtq with just set of flow master weld ins and after the fix) i ran another convt 01 cobra right when they came out that was BONE stock. and he walked the dog on me.... the 99 is not the same car... i love all cobra's but the low 13 second pass mm&ff did in a convt stock car and the BEST 13.50's in the 99 coupes and the mph being lower shows it. my buddy has 01 cobra coupe, magnaflow catback,pro chamber h pipe,cold air,pulleys,and timing adj. motor to motor he can not pull away from me and his car is 250lbs lighter, not to mention how much lighter he is to me... ive said it many times, its not the peak power, its the power band guys...im telling you. i can see it from my post fix 99 cars dyno and my stock 01 dyno...(which had even higher peak 280rwhp 289rwtq stock) i miss my red/tan/tan 99 and i miss having the blue light up gauges at night over the green...but there are many things that dont make it the same car. not so much as the 03 compared to us,but non the less there are much differences...

Users who are viewing this thread